What's new

Hi newbie here

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am big fan of arko my self checkout my arko collection but I only like arko performance among them. I still haven't used sensitive and comfort though. Any suggestions regarding any other cream or soap like arko performance.especially in Turkish brands like derby
I have never tried Derby shave soap! I am ashamed.

I didn't get my soap samples but I did my blades.

Attachments

• 20211130_193631.jpg
    20211130_193631.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Welcome to the forum. I have to say, I am amazed that you like the VDH blades. To me, those are one of the worst blades I have ever used. It just goes to show that YMMV is a very real thing in the DE blade world. I like the Wilkinson Sword German blades. Many here, not so much. My fave is the Gillette Platinum Plus..with the Rubie a close second.
I don't mind the VDH blades. I learned DE shaving on them. Then tried other blades for more closeness, and efficiency. The VDH razor was holding me back from experiencing a truly close shave! Have a local store here that specializes in all things shaving. Recommended a Parker 91R as my next step. Really love it! Wilkinson Sword(G) are my fave! I get closeness, efficiency, and comfort, all in in one pass. I also like Gillette Platinums. The Parker IS my "daily driver".

If you like BIC Chrome, I recommend you try Bic Astor Stainless. I had a revelation with these blades and they are cheaper than BIC Chrome.
View attachment 1370994
Please share your revelation! I've been trying to find out more about these blades. Some say they're lower quality, some say they're the same as the Bic Chromes. If they're different than the Chromes, in what way?
Also, where do you find them for cheaper than the chromes? I only see them on razorbladesclub, but for the same price.

Please share your revelation! I've been trying to find out more about these blades. Some say they're lower quality, some say they're the same as the Bic Chromes. If they're different than the Chromes, in what way?
Also, where do you find them for cheaper than the chromes? I only see them on razorbladesclub, but for the same price.
For me, the discovery of BIC Astor Stainless blades was a revelation because I ran for a long time in search of the right blade for me and I tried blades with pedigree, good but found only by paying for transport (Feather, Polsilver, Bic Chrome, Asco, Nacet, Voskhod, Sputnik, Astra SP, Gillette Stainless). Bic Astor Stainless is a blade that in Romania can be found at the Supermarket and costs max $ 10/100 pcs. It is a poorly rated blade in my country and for this reason I have not been curious to try it for many years. When I was curious to try, I was pleasantly impressed. I found that it is better for me than Feather or Astra SP, it is identical to Bic Chrome, and I can buy it from the supermarket without paying for shipping. So for me Bic Astor Stainless is a good, cheap blade and I find it easy. Great, right? If you like Stainless Steel Blades, give it a try. But be careful not to be counterfeit (my pictures can help)

My local mini target has an oddly large sharving section and it's kinda cool. This is their newest DE set. This is the same place I got my VDH. The price seems reasonable and the razor box has half. I almost bought it just to try.

Attachments

• 20211213_183255.jpg
    20211213_183255.jpg
    1,019.8 KB · Views: 13
That's important in case you get followed leaving the store! :lol:
As a former Target employee, this made me laugh. Ah memories.

It's that long ugly handle. I prefer the EJ DE89 or Muhle R89; exactly same design except the R89 has a brass threaded cap post rather than zinc alloy.
Those blade are excellent from what I hear but extremely expensive. Some say they are similar to Gillette Platinum blades.
The handle was the biggest reason why I didn't buy it when I was looking to start using a DE razor. Biggest complaints I found online were about the length and the abbreviated use of knurling. Since I head shave too, I wanted to have decent grip and control.

I also heard good things about the blades but they are pricey in comparison to what you can 1/2 the cost or less.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Interesting. In my town, the only new DE razor for sale is the KCG, when it is in stock. Normally priced at USD 20. The blade's are priced at USD 10 for a tuck (10). This is the same as the only other DE blades available in town, the Gillette Wilkinson Sword.

Not sure if it's the range we have available here, but the KCG razor appears to be flying off the shelves.

I will say that the King C Gillette is a good solid introductory and incredibly mild razor. It's still one of my favorite purchases as I restarted my journey into DE shaving. Currently it is part of my travel kit as a reliable go to on the road as long as I don't have to fly..... Since TSA has a dislike of anything in cary on other than cartridge razors😕

Top Bottom