What's new

How Do You Remove The Glue From Blades?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Generally I hold the blade under hot running water. Then I kinda sorta rub the glue with my finger or fingernail.

To a degree that removes some of the glue. It probably also just smears the glue around and doesn't remove it as well as I'd like. It works to a degree and is also dangerous to a degree. I learned to be more careful; guess how.

I don't like glue to remain on my blades when I install them. I believe glue changes geometry a little bit and not for the better plus it makes the blades harder to flip.

I'm looking for a simple and quick and painless solution. Not some super fancy solvent. Not something which takes a long time.

1639338799975.png

Somebody's probably solved this little problem but I'm not hip to their work.

How do you remove the glue? There's gotta be a better way.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Looking around online maybe alcohol or vinegar will work. Maybe apply with a Q-tip?

Somebody already knows I'd bet.

Happy shaves,

Jim

If a tiny bit of glue would alter the geometry and performance of the razor, I truly believe the manufacturers wouldn't have any glue on their blades.

I also suggest when the razor is tightened any glue would be squished into a meaningless film.

Let's not overthink problems that are not really problems.

I'd like to know "The Easy Way" to remove wax dots too...

That said, if they're done with good QC they will be very small and accurately positioned (and applied to the back of the blade so the wrapper flaps can be opened easily); hence they can stay there without causing problems.

The problem (zero QC) dots, or rather puddles, which cover large areas of the blade (including the edges) are a real PITA. These seem to be a specialty of Russian Gillettes and Feathers.
It is wax and not glue just run under hot water and it will melt off.
I wish it was that easy! Your water must be a hell of a lot hotter than mine, Ian (and probably soft too).

Some of the many previous discussions on this topic:

I use Astra blades which have some negligible glue on them and does not bother anything. I simply leave it. When I change the blade, the glue is gone from the numerous rinsing the razor receives while shaving.

My GSBs have a lot of wax, but it's often only on one side. I just make sure I load the blade with that side facing up so only the clean side touches my skin.

Some of the many previous discussions on this topic:

Just a hunch... you learned to research using a card catalog? Too Cool! Love this proficient self reliant use of the oft neglected search function, a dying art. We have google to thank.

Last edited:
Top Bottom