What's new

Gillette Super Blue Blades...

I searched the forums regarding the Gillette Super Blue blades, which are coated with Teflon. According to posts on the forum, these are vintage blades and not in production. Is that correct. I recently bought some from an online blade site.

Also, what is the difference between the "Gillette Blue Blade" and the "Gillette Super Blue Blade"? It is the Gillette Super Blue Blade that I saw for sale and went ahead and bought some a while back. I haven't gotten around to trying them out yet. Are these carbon steel blades?

Thank You.
Korey

Attachments

• gillette_super_blue_rsz (1).jpg
    gillette_super_blue_rsz (1).jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 52
These blades are actually stainless. I shaved with one earlier and when I looked at one side of the blade, it says "Stainless". As far as cost goes, they are $17.95 for 100 blades.

I looked at the back of the box and I do see where it refers to Shanghai.

So, if it says "Stainless" on one side of the blade, are they Stainless Carbon Steel or is what is listed on the blade and box incorrect?

The old Gillette Blue blades are indeed blued carbon steel and out of production.

Attachments

• 20211212_050703.jpg
    20211212_050703.jpg
    890.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20211212_050807.jpg
    20211212_050807.jpg
    883.2 KB · Views: 39
These blades are actually stainless. I shaved with one earlier and when I looked at one side of the blade, it says "Stainless". As far as cost goes, they are $17.95 for 100 blades.

I looked at the back of the box and I do see where it refers to Shanghai.

So, if it says "Stainless" on one side of the blade, are they Stainless Carbon Steel or is what is listed on the blade and box incorrect?
No, these are present produced Stainless Steel blades from Gillette Shanghai. Exactly as described on the box and the blade. The carbon steel blades are not being made anymore (for a long time).

There are Shanghai made Stainless Super Blue blades. These are current production and available via AliE (rather expensive). Your picture looks like a Vietnamese? Version of this blade.
View attachment 1376964

View attachment 1376965
They are available at the Razor Blades Club, and the price there is slightly lower than on aliexpress. During the last 2-3 years they started selling them in other Asian countries, not only China. I have Vietnamese and 1-2 other Asian languages on the newest packaging. If you buy from China those languages won't be there.

They are available at the Razor Blades Club, and the price there is slightly lower than on aliexpress. During the last 2-3 years they started selling them in other Asian countries, not only China. I have Vietnamese and 1-2 other Asian languages on the newest packaging. If you buy from China those languages won't be there.
I got mine from Razorbladesclub. That was after I has tried them in a sampler.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I searched the forums regarding the Gillette Super Blue blades, which are coated with Teflon. According to posts on the forum, these are vintage blades and not in production. Is that correct. I recently bought some from an online blade site.

Also, what is the difference between the "Gillette Blue Blade" and the "Gillette Super Blue Blade"? It is the Gillette Super Blue Blade that I saw for sale and went ahead and bought some a while back. I haven't gotten around to trying them out yet. Are these carbon steel blades?

Thank You.
Korey
I don’t believe Teflon was in use before the Gillette Blue blades were out of production. I started shaving in 1964 and blades were already stainless. I do remember my uncle telling me Gillette bought a Navy ship after WWII just for the stainless steel used in the ship.

I tried one of these blades today in a Yaqi Mellon. Not a bad blade. Platinum too. Reminds me of Indian Gillette Wilkinson Swords, but sharper. A little noisy, but they get the job done. Not as gritty as the Russian Gillettes (at least the ones I have used so far).

Last edited:
I tried one of these blades today in a Yaqi Mellon. Not a bad blade. Platinum too. Reminds me of Indian Gillette Wilkinson Swords, but sharper. A little noisy, but they get the job done. Not as gritty as the Russian Gillettes (at least the ones I have used so far).
What makes you think the Super Blue has platinum?
Look on the first picture of post #4. The right column of text says in Vietnamese: Ingredients: stainless steel, chromium, PTFE.

The Chinese packaging:
9686CF1C-0CF9-463C-818B-8A68F235776C.jpeg

Maybe the Viet/Indonesian version does not have platinum, or perhaps the packaging meant for Vietnam/Indonesia does not mention platinum to avoid competing with the long established Gillette Super Thin Platinum in Vietnam and the Gillette Goal Super Platinum in Indonesia

What makes you think the Super Blue has platinum?
Look on the first picture of post #4. The right column of text says in Vietnamese: Ingredients: stainless steel, chromium, PTFE.

The Chinese version blade itself also states platinum, while the Viet/Indonesian does not:
63BAB520-6832-42F7-B302-297ECAB1431A.jpeg

Top Bottom