What's new

Wife Starting to DE Shave

Hello everyone,

I was able to do a little convincing and was able to get my wife to start using a DE safety razor to shave her legs. Her skin is fairly temperamental and learning all the new things lately I truly believe DE shaving will help her out quite a bit.

She’s only shaved twice with one of my razors and she seems to like it so far.

So my request/question to anyone that has experience shaving their legs. Any tips, tricks, pointers, products you can suggest would be appreciated.

One of the concerns she has is that it’s way more time consuming than what she’s previously use to. Any time saving tricks would be useful as well. She typically shaved in the mornings before work and she’s trying to move quick so she can get ready and get to work.

Over-all everything will stack up the same, I’m sure, but legs are a larger surface area to cover and more curves and angles to consider along with just a different experience to work through.

Just curious if anyone has some good pointers.

I appreciate everyone’s time and input. Everyone has been a tremendous help and support since I’ve started posting and poking around. ☺️

Personally, I would make sure to get her a razor with a neutral exposure if she is in a hurry. It helps that the Henson mild is light weight and has a long handle, hint hint. The reason i say this is because a neutral razor largely takes the blade out of the equation, it's either cutting or it's not. As long as she learns not to use any pressure, she can fly around blind safely.

Korg, I have nothing to offer but will be watching this thread. My wife uses disposables and shaves her legs like there is no tomorrow. I believe she used one of my DE's at one time and did not like it for the simple fact that it slowed her process greatly.

Long handle - the leaf has a long handle - other than snapping and installing the blade(s) it would be faster than a cartridge in my opinion on legs. I don’t think I would want to load the leaf in a hurry. You could set it up the night before. The leaf would be unable to shave a face without using a different razor in addition. No way it can get under the nose. The head on the leaf is huge it pivots and is really a body shaving razor - can be used as a head shaver. If you buy it direct it can be returned if it does not work out within a time window - I think.

Companion by Muhle is a more tradition de with tabs covered and a somewhat long handle. Also intended to be a body shaver. I think the leaf is longer handle and would be faster than the companion.

The Razorock Ti handle is long and nice if you just want to upgrade the handle - but still shorter than the leaf.

Hello everyone,

I was able to do a little convincing and was able to get my wife to start using a DE safety razor to shave her legs. Her skin is fairly temperamental and learning all the new things lately I truly believe DE shaving will help her out quite a bit.

She’s only shaved twice with one of my razors and she seems to like it so far.

So my request/question to anyone that has experience shaving their legs. Any tips, tricks, pointers, products you can suggest would be appreciated.

One of the concerns she has is that it’s way more time consuming than what she’s previously use to. Any time saving tricks would be useful as well. She typically shaved in the mornings before work and she’s trying to move quick so she can get ready and get to work.

Over-all everything will stack up the same, I’m sure, but legs are a larger surface area to cover and more curves and angles to consider along with just a different experience to work through.

Just curious if anyone has some good pointers.

I appreciate everyone’s time and input. Everyone has been a tremendous help and support since I’ve started posting and poking around. ☺️
Perhaps @Oliviamaynard will chime in. She is fairly new to DE shaving and she can give a woman’s perspective. Since I don’t shave legs or underarms I can’t give good advice.

Korg, I have nothing to offer but will be watching this thread. My wife uses disposables and shaves her legs like there is no tomorrow. I believe she used one of my DE's at one time and did not like it for the simple fact that it slowed her process greatly.
Yeah I think the major hurdle is time. Second is that it feels foreign to her.

I’m proud an applaud her for even giving DE a honest try. She’s already bought a few creams and after shave. I think I have her interest peeked, which is good. I do want any extra little tips to continue her experience so she doesn’t just throw in the towel, I feel it’ll give her a far superior shave and shave us some money in the long run.

She’s a bit more environmentally minded, so she does like the fact that DE shaving will help the environment more then cartridge shaving. She’s also seeing some of the benefit as well. She’s already noticing subtle differences, in a positive light.

I think grippy handle and non buttfly opening are important. A leaf looks nice too
Hello there!

I was hoping you would jump into the convo ☺️

Any specific creams, soaps, techniques, particularly “speed shaving” ideas I can pass along to my wife, would be very useful and helpful.

My wife fell in love with my Schick Type J injector and has been using it for years. She said the Schick was easier to use and liked the longer handle on the Type J compared to my DE's she tried.

Two options to consider: Lady Gillette razor and Haslinger women’s shaving soap (with sandalwood and aloe vera.) The rest I leave to you!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

So a shaver that allows you to shave FASTER (DE is much faster than a cartridge by design) is a hurdle? :)
Well, it’s the lathering and not being able to shave as she’s showering.

It was quicker bc she would use shower gel while she’s showering and just fly through her shave with her lady razor and be done.

O.R.E.N. Razor - Occam's Razor Enhanced Nano

Screenshot_20211204-174536_Samsung Internet.jpg

Well, it’s the lathering and not being able to shave as she’s showering.

It was quicker bc she would use shower gel while she’s showering and just fly through her shave with her lady razor and be done.

She still can use her shower gel with a DE ,lathering is not obligatory with a DE (lather is useless air bubbles anyhow)
My wife also uses shower gel. :)

She still can use her shower gel with a DE ,lathering is not obligatory with a DE (lather is useless air bubbles anyhow)
My wife also uses shower gel. :)
yeah I thought about that too, but she likes the ingredients in shave soaps and creams a lot more than shower gel; once she started doing a little researching.

Plus I wanted her to get the full experience.

But yes, thank you for the thought, I appreciate it. Maybe she can do a gel from time to time if she’s needs to be Uber quick.

I let my wife borrow one of my razors and a blade when she ran out of disposables several months ago. She’s taken that razor for her use and uses my blades now. She loves it compared to disposable razors.

Kinda embarrassed a bit, but I was hoping I could draw her attention to this post. 😅

I thought she would prob be the best bet for a new lady shaver haha!
I saw. Thank you.
Oh so I recommend coochy by pure romance.. so slippery. I put it on before lather

The Merkur open combs are very good for body shaving. I've got the 985C travel version. This is a very mild design which makes it easy to use. The open comb can tackle longer hair.

My wife enjoys her WCS women's razor. It is a slant made by Charcoal Goods with a long silicone handle.
WCS-Womens-Silicone-Safety-Razor-Blush-Pink_ab32887b-94fc-4d44-b354-518801856bb1_799x1026.jpg

The Lady Gillette did not hold up well.
She didn't care for the injector and no soaps or brushes have kept her interest.

My last ex LOVED Stirling (and to my knowledge still buys their aftershave). Funny enough she was hiding it from me after telling me off for buying too much shaving stuff. I was also able to get my dad into shaving with a brush and soap too but won't go beyond carts (has plenty experience shaving DE in the 60s).

A good starting point regardless of "hardware" is suggesting a good soap and a brush. Perhaps a shaver with a longer handle.

I love these and genuinely want one but I can't help but see a vegetable peeler every time I look at one.
Yes, it sure looks a bit odd. It works better for legs IMO then beard. Not grate for heavy growth. I used mine as a third pick pass razor after a SR shave.

My wife tried it over a decade ago and took right to it.

Now she has a lady Gillette and a bottle of Kiss My Face and that's her shave routine.

As far as blades, she doesn't like the super sharp blades, so often I will take a two or three times used Gillette Platinum out of my razor and put it in hers. She likes it a bit duller and I get to shave w a new sharp blade ...

My fiance loves injectors, she uses a type L to shave her legs in the shower. She also prefers the blade changing system for the injectors.

She has been using the injector for a bit over a year, she told me when she first started that it was very similar to the cartridge razors in terms of ease of use.

Kiss My Face Moisture Shave (11 oz. pump bottle) is a really good product: slick, skin-nourishing, brushless if you want, subtle fragrances, and relatively inexpensive. I have a grandson who will be shaving soon, and I'm going to start him off with KMF.

My wife uses a Baili 171. I saw them on sale over on groomatorium website for $3.99 recently. The tabs are covered, the blade gap is very wide, and the blade exposure seems to be neutral or negative. It is essentially a Gillette Tech clone.

I was able to do a little convincing and was able to get my wife to start using a DE safety razor to shave her legs.

Just be sure she tightens that blade down before every shave. When my wife and I were dating in the 60s, I was over at her apartment watching a hockey game while she bathed and shaved after work. I heard her yelp and found she gashed her leg with her Lady Gillette because the blade wasn't tightened down. To this day, I don't dare suggest she switch from cart to DE.

Top Bottom