What's new

Feather Blade Review

Earlier today I completed my seventh shave with the same Feather Blade. Prior to this I never used the same blade more than four times. I have what I refer to as DE Blade ADD so I typically shave with a different blade everyday. I've recently started to wonder that if I only had one blade then which one would I pick.
In order to answer this I consider the following:
1) Quality
2) Performance
3) Longevity

Shaving Methodology:

Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Face WTG-XTG-ATG
Head WTG:XTG-ATG

I'm really happy with the results. All shaves let my skin feeling good with no nicks or irritation. No issues obtaining a BBS finish. Feathers are just fantastic. I would have no issues if this were my everyday blade.

awk_m4

You seem to be getting more shaves than average, that's good. Maybe because of the Henson? Feathers just seem to match very well with some razors.
I'm really happy with how it worked out. Prior to this the most shaves with one blade was four. that was with Polsilver in My Gillette 195. Last week I acquired an AS-D2 on Ebay. When that one arrives I'll run a series of tests with it to see how it compares. Starting tomorrow I will be using a blade that I've never tried and I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to the Feather. Now that I've established a baseline, I'll review that one as well.

For my beard, the first shave with a Feather is good, the second one is great, and I don't bother with a third because I don't enjoy having whiskers pulled from my face one-by-one... :)
From the third shave on I noticed the initial smoothness of a fresh feather was gone. I was pleasantly surprised that the blade was still giving me great shaves throughout.

I hate to be the dissenting voice but I just can't seem to get a good shave with Feather blades. It's not for lack of trying. I keep coming back to them, hoping that one of these days it will click. I had yet another harsh shave today with one. Stories like yours will keep me trying. I'm glad you found a great solution!

Earlier today I completed my seventh shave with the same Feather Blade. Prior to this I never used the same blade more than four times. I have what I refer to as DE Blade ADD so I typically shave with a different blade everyday. I've recently started to wonder that if I only had one blade then which one would I pick.
In order to answer this I consider the following:
1) Quality
2) Performance
3) Longevity

Shaving Methodology:

Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Face WTG-XTG-ATG
Head WTG:XTG-ATG

I'm really happy with the results. All shaves let my skin feeling good with no nicks or irritation. No issues obtaining a BBS finish. Feathers are just fantastic. I would have no issues if this were my everyday blade.

awk_m4
Was this seven head + face shaves?
Glad you like the feather blade....I get weepers with them after 3-5 and have to toss them.

I hate to be the dissenting voice but I just can't seem to get a good shave with Feather blades. It's not for lack of trying. I keep coming back to them, hoping that one of these days it will click. I had yet another harsh shave today with one. Stories like yours will keep me trying. I'm glad you found a great solution!
Eric thank you for sharing your experiences. You certainly sound determined to make it work so kudos for trying! I've been very fortunate in that I've yet to try a blade that I don't like. I'm wondering what razor you're using. When I use my Gillette I would use settings 1-3 for my fact and 4-6 for shaving my head. The lowest settings would be for against the grain. The Henson really simplified things for me and I'm getting amazing results with it.

Paul D

Was this seven head + face shaves?
Glad you like the feather blade....I get weepers with them after 3-5 and have to toss them.
That's right. What I notice is that I've been using the Henson for two months and it's definitely the "safest" safety razor I've used.
What blades work best for you?

I'm wondering what razor you're using.
I have tried many things no avail. The baby did thing is that I can use a Feather in a razor that I can otherwise get a foolproof shave yet the same angle and approach ends up not working with a Feather. It's obviously something I'm doing wrong hence my desire to continue trying. I get the feeling that once I figure it out I'll be a convert.

Congratulations on discovering Feathers! They are my sharpest, smoothest blade, I get two quality shaves with each Feather, & am quite happy with that. I wish they maintained their sharpness longer for me, but because the quality is so far superior to any other blade I've tried, I'll overlook the short lifespan.

That's right. What I notice is that I've been using the Henson for two months and it's definitely the "safest" safety razor I've used.
Vikings Sword I get 10 good shaves, Bic (this is sharp), Nacet; I could live with these. Ok maybe Crystal, too. I do find very interesting that this Henson razor is so good. I don't have one.....might look into it. Thanks for the info

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Feather half-DE blades are my preferred blade in my Oxor shavette. They give me the closest and most comfortable shave.

IMG_20210815_083846.jpg
I only shavette shave about once every month or two so a tuck of Feather DE blades should last me a few years. I get about 2 to 4 three-pass shaves out of one half.

Good morning, @awk_m4

Because of my age I have coarse hair to shave every other day, face and head. Most, if not all blades are dull after one full shave. That is what keeps me away from Feathers. The Med Preps work best so far, effective a full shave, deepest BBB by far. Your experience with the Feathers surprises me. From what the majority of forum members report, Feathers dull quickly. Do you have an explanation for your achievements with the Feathers?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
That's amazing. I really like Feather blades, but I rarely use them as they are my worst for longevity - 2 good shaves.

Vikings Sword I get 10 good shaves, Bic (this is sharp), Nacet; I could live with these. Ok maybe Crystal, too. I do find very interesting that this Henson razor is so good. I don't have one.....might look into it. Thanks for the info
You're welcome. what I really like how the blade is locked in place. One of their selling features is no vibrations. this is the only Safety razor that allows me to shave at the same speed as a cartridge razor...no fear of cutting myself. when the as-d2 arrives it will be interesting to see how that one compares.

Good morning, @awk_m4

Because of my age I have coarse hair to shave every other day, face and head. Most, if not all blades are dull after one full shave. That is what keeps me away from Feathers. The Med Preps work best so far, effective a full shave, deepest BBB by far. Your experience with the Feathers surprises me. From what the majority of forum members report, Feathers dull quickly. Do you have an explanation for your achievements with the Feathers?
Since this was my first attempt and blade longevity I don't have an explanation at the moment. At some point though I would like to run the same test using my vintage Gillette 195 and compare the results.

Top Bottom