What's new

Which SE razor?

This shaving world is crazy, now that I've gotten into it. I started down the wet shave path to "save money" $300 later I am still hoping to save money. $300 would have gone a long way in DSC or Harry's. Hahaha.

I want to get a SE razor and I have a ton of Half DE blades from the Shavette I initially purchased. And I think the best way to save money is to buy a $30-$60 razor in order to use the $6 bucks I have in SE blades. Haha, doesn't make sense really, but none of this does.

I have narrowed my choices down to, in no particular order, Razorock ECO, Twig by Leaf, and the Yaqi Katana.

Price point, the ECO, and the Katana are pretty comparable. It looks like the Katana is mostly only available overseas. It's not that I don't want to support international business. I don't want to wait 14 days to get something. But if it's the better choice I would. Or are any of these available in other outlets like Ali Express, where the price point would really make waiting a while worth it?

I really like the looks of the Twig the best, it's probably my top choice, but it's double the cost. So what I am looking for is some feedback from actual users and preferably from those of you who have used each.

I have both and use both. I've had the Katana for several years so I'm used to it. Just got the Eco last month so still getting used to it. I head shave, and I find the Katana more aggressive and efficient, but not by much. If you have extra handles you can just buy the Katana head, which is what I did for under $10. I don't think either are bad, and enjoy using both. The head on the Katana is smaller, and the blade exposure is a bit more. I've attached a couple of pics with the Eco and the Katana with the same blade (Derby Premium Professional) shavette blade.

LAU_tcBxRLitCxpvfAPikw.jpeg
vOMMtl2BSt-RiL9XTlhRQw.jpeg
IX7Dn_e0S7mFHCwIZMLNCg.jpeg
i6AnHFTNSrOLBeJLKfb9wg.jpeg

I also nearly exclusively use an Eco Hawk for head shaving with a shallow angle (riding the cap). Used on my face this doesn’t work that well as I’m shaving steep angle (riding the guard) with all my other DE‘s.
253DFE2C-B038-431A-9E1D-BD7B997B456C.jpeg

The only razor I own of those mentioned is the Eco. I really like mine, but found it a bit light with the original handle. I put a heavier handle on it and now it is a favorite.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
This shaving world is crazy, now that I've gotten into it. I started down the wet shave path to "save money" $300 later I am still hoping to save money. $300 would have gone a long way in DSC or Harry's. Hahaha.

I want to get a SE razor and I have a ton of Half DE blades from the Shavette I initially purchased. And I think the best way to save money is to buy a $30-$60 razor in order to use the $6 bucks I have in SE blades. Haha, doesn't make sense really, but none of this does.

I have narrowed my choices down to, in no particular order, Razorock ECO, Twig by Leaf, and the Yaqi Katana.

Price point, the ECO, and the Katana are pretty comparable. It looks like the Katana is mostly only available overseas. It's not that I don't want to support international business. I don't want to wait 14 days to get something. But if it's the better choice I would. Or are any of these available in other outlets like Ali Express, where the price point would really make waiting a while worth it?

I really like the looks of the Twig the best, it's probably my top choice, but it's double the cost. So what I am looking for is some feedback from actual users and preferably from those of you who have used each.
Were it me, I'd take a loss on the half blades and buy a proper SE format. One of the key benefits of SE is a thicker heavier more rigid blade.

Were it me, I'd take a loss on the half blades and buy a proper SE format. One of the key benefits of SE is a thicker heavier more rigid blade.
When you say "proper SE format", what are you referring to? One thing I like about the half blades is that I have a lot of blades to choose from in terms of brand, and price. Don't blades like the AC (? Blades like the feather blades) have fewer options? And I like the idea that when I travel I can stop by literally anywhere that sells blades and pick up replacements.

Not a big fan of the katana, but I like milder razors and the katana is not one of them.

There are some pivot head razors out there Broman and focus dynamic r48, r50 and they shave mild and very nice.

If there is an option to try the leaf twig or thorn I would look into it.

And if you want more se with more ridges blades then you end up into ac and gem territory which means you half de blades are not usable and ac blades are pricey.

If it is because you have a box of half de blades and you like de. Pif the box and buy 50 usd de blades that is cheaper.

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
When you say "proper SE format", what are you referring to? One thing I like about the half blades is that I have a lot of blades to choose from in terms of brand, and price. Don't blades like the AC (? Blades like the feather blades) have fewer options? And I like the idea that when I travel I can stop by literally anywhere that sells blades and pick up replacements.
Proper SE format = Injector, Gem and secondarily AC which was originally intended as a shavette blade. Yes, many fewer blades in any of those formats than DE. That's not a bad thing at all. There are a handful of proven blades. No need to try 20 brands and so on as is common in the DE world. I think most of us would fail true A/B/X testing in DE blades. Lots of placebo effect going on. The "nuances" some come up with from 7 lines of blades produced in the same factories in Russia, of the same steel on the same machines is a good source of entertainment. I don't think wine connoisseurs have as much descriptive language as some blade connoisseurs. The big difference is the imagery on the box.

Bring blades when you travel, or if you must buy on the road, then a DE is your best travel bet.

Were I you I would get a Schick Injector or Gem Junior or a razor that takes Injector blades or Gem spined blades.

Proper SE format = Injector, Gem and secondarily AC which was originally intended as a shavette blade. Yes, many fewer blades in any of those formats than DE. That's not a bad thing at all. There are a handful of proven blades. No need to try 20 brands and so on as is common in the DE world. I think most of us would fail true A/B/X testing in DE blades. Lots of placebo effect going on. The "nuances" some come up with from 7 lines of blades produced in the same factories in Russia, of the same steel on the same machines is a good source of entertainment. I don't think wine connoisseurs have as much descriptive language as some blade connoisseurs. The big difference is the imagery on the box.

Bring blades when you travel, or if you must buy on the road, then a DE is your best travel bet.

Were I you I would get a Schick Injector or Gem Junior or a razor that takes Injector blades or Gem spined blades.
I certainly do see the placebo effect with razor blades. The other thing that comes into play with me is that I don't have a store locally that sells anything of the kind. I live in a town in SW MT that has less than 700 people in town, in a county that is as large as some small states and there are 1500 people in the entire county. None of that is really important except that the local grocer carries Gillette double edge blades. Anything else must be ordered. So, in a way, it's almost like I am always on the road. Sure, I could always plan ahead, order blades, etc... But to what end? Going back to the placebo effect, are they really so much better that at the end of a shave I would go, WOW! That's a difference. I just did a quick search on Amazon, 28 blades, a 4 pack of 7, is $21.00. For $21 I can buy nearly 400 SE half blades, or 300 DE Dorco blades resulting in 600 SE blades.

I don't mean to be argumentative, I am just asking, is the increased cost of an injector blade, in all reality, such a noticeable difference?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Mostly I'm saying a SE shave with one of the blades I'm recommending feels different than a DE blade used as such. SE blades cost more than DE blades, but in use are close in cost because you get many more shaves per blade. It will be rare to find anything but DE blades in a drug store, grocery store or the like.

I actually have had decent luck in smaller towns in stores that are not chain stores because they often carry more lines of items. I find Injector blades on the shelf in a town of 2000. I live on the outskirts of a major city and cannot find them locally. An injector blade blade easily goes 25 shaves for me. Gem blades are cheaper than they are and will easily go 10.

I will be blunt. If you intend to use a DE blade as an SE, then get any DE blade and razor and just use one side of it because that is going to feel the same as using a 1/2 DE Blade. I have tried a few of the "SE" 1/2 DE format razors, and they are just a DE with only one side.

The Twig, without a doubt. You can't go wrong with it. It may be more expensive, but having now compared it to several other DEs, I'd pay double the price for it if I had to purchase a new one right now.

Get the Twig. You'll thank me later.

The Twig, without a doubt. You can't go wrong with it. It may be more expensive, but having now compared it to several other DEs, I'd pay double the price for it if I had to purchase a new one right now.

Get the Twig. You'll thank me later.
Thank you! What are your thoughts on the Twig Thorn? What does the +0.2mm on blade gap and +0.18mm on blade span mean in terms of use? Is it closer? Are you able to cut yourself more easily? Or do you just feel the blade a bit more? And since they are the same price, is one prefered over the other and why?

Thank you! What are your thoughts on the Twig Thorn? What does the +0.2mm on blade gap and +0.18mm on blade span mean in terms of use? Is it closer? Are you able to cut yourself more easily? Or do you just feel the blade a bit more? And since they are the same price, is one prefered over the other and why?
I actually ordered the Thorn during BF because how well the Twig has been for me, just to see if I prefer the increased aggressiveness. It still hasn't arrived so I can't give you my thoughts. If I had to guess, I think I'll stick with the Twig, but it's just that: a guess.

In theory the Thorn should shave a little closer, at the expense of more blade feel and probably higher chance of nicks. I got the Twig when it was just released, the Thorn didn't exist then. I have very sensitive skin, so I would still have bought the Twig had it been available back then.

If beforehand you know you like aggressive razors get the Thorn, else the Twig.

Because tbh the Twig doesn't miss anything at all in efficiency, I can easily shave 7 days of growth in a single stroke (and I have denser than average stubble), that's what I do regularly. At the same time it's so smooth I'm certain that daily shavers could use it with no issues at all. I simply ordered the Thorn because of the 20% discount, not because I felt I need something more aggressive. Not once have I felt that need.

It really has been that good for me.

I actually ordered the Thorn during BF because how well the Twig has been for me, just to see if I prefer the increased aggressiveness. It still hasn't arrived so I can't give you my thoughts. If I had to guess, I think I'll stick with the Twig, but it's just that: a guess.

In theory the Thorn should shave a little closer, at the expense of more blade feel and probably higher chance of nicks. I got the Twig when it was just released, the Thorn didn't exist then. I have very sensitive skin, so I would still have bought the Twig had it been available back then.

If beforehand you know you like aggressive razors get the Thorn, else the Twig.

Because tbh the Twig doesn't miss anything at all in efficiency, I can easily shave 7 days of growth in a single stroke (and I have denser than average stubble), that's what I do regularly. At the same time it's so smooth I'm certain that daily shavers could use it with no issues at all. I simply ordered the Thorn because of the 20% discount, not because I felt I need something more aggressive. Not once have I felt that need.

It really has been that good for me.
OK, thank you. I don't really know how aggressive I like or want. I started recently with straight razors and I find them to be a little daunting starting out. So I need something as a daily shave until I get this SR thing learned. Maybe I just start with a Twig.

I’ve looked into all of those and would buy the Twig if I really wanted one. But I have plenty of razors and my interest hasn’t been strong enough for me to pull the trigger on one of these.

The problem with all of those half blade razors is that none of them bother to torque the blade. I've tried a few half blade razors & none of them shave well.

I have used a Tech type razor & fitted a shavette blade in it - it gave the best shave of them all. Push the blade back so that it aligns. It should be the type of tech that curves along with the blade.

Two shavette blades should be used - one on each side, so that the grip of the razor is balanced. You don't need to replace both blades when you need to change - just replace one of them.

The problem with all of those half blade razors is that none of them bother to torque the blade. I've tried a few half blade razors & none of them shave well.

I have used a Tech type razor & fitted a shavette blade in it - it gave the best shave of them all. Push the blade back so that it aligns. It should be the type of tech that curves along with the blade.

Two shavette blades should be used - one on each side, so that the grip of the razor is balanced. You don't need to replace both blades when you need to change - just replace one of them.
As a general principle (lack of torquing/clamping) I agree. But have you tried the Twig?

I have read very few less than positive reviews of it (most being very positive). I'm convinced those users failed to hit the provided angle, and got a less than ideal shave.

As I wrote in another post: I honestly can't see anyone having a bad shave with the Twig; it might not be your favorite razor for whatever reason, but that's completely different from having a downright bad shave with it.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Over the course of time, I will more than likely own or use many of these razors mentioned. Based on comments here and other reviews around the web, I ordered a Twig Thorn last night. I think I will like the slightly more aggressive nature of the Thorn. On the other hand, I may end up picking up one of the others mentioned as a comparison as well. I have to kind of throttle back the purchase of new gear due to the Minister of Finance complaining about the space on the bathroom counter being taken up. Maybe time to hit the woodshop and build a cabinet.

Top Bottom