What's new

Strange Wade & Butcher

When I started shaving it took a great 12k/jnat edge. I got it restored though as it was a gift and just use it for rare occasions. After it was restored I put my coticule edge on it and it has had that same edge for roughly 5+ years I think (under 20 shaves though). Always shaves like a dream and just a phenomenal coticule edge.

I never went down the coticule rabbit hole! I am glad it’s a great shaver Christian!

Vr

Matt

I had to do a regrind of a regrind to salvage a rare old W&B FBU. You can read about it here but I never posted pictures of what it looked like before I started work on it. If you're faint of heart look away now 😲
IMG_20200215_111748.jpgIMG_20200215_111716.jpg
IMG_20200215_111636.jpgIMG_20200215_111649.jpg

As you can see they did me no favors and I spent weeks on and off fixing what they did.
The result of regrinding a regrind is a paper thin blade and a minuscule bevel.

Here's a picture of the new grind, paper thin.
PXL_20211207_143150085.jpg

And the finished razor
IMG_20200906_162628.jpgIMG_20200905_155006.jpg

This particular razor was honed on film and its combination of thin grind and micro-bevel put it amongst my top shaving razors maybe even number 1 alongside some filli's and another W&B wedge that I could chop a tree down with.

I had to do a regrind of a regrind to salvage a rare old W&B FBU. You can read about it here but I never posted pictures of what it looked like before I started work on it. If you're faint of heart look away now 😲

As you can see they did me no favors and I spent weeks on and off fixing what they did.
The result of regrinding a regrind is a paper thin blade and a minuscule bevel.

Here's a picture of the new grind, paper thin.
View attachment 1374518

And the finished razor
View attachment 1374519View attachment 1374530

This particular razor was honed on film and its combination of thin grind and micro-bevel put it amongst my top shaving razors maybe even number 1 alongside some filli's and another W&B wedge that I could chop a tree down with.
That’s a BEUATY, and I know exactly what you mean by it being amongst your best razors! Congrats!

Vr

Matt

So it’s nice and fun to find a 6/8…7/8 to perhaps 7/8+ with a neat hollow grind. It is just something that was mostly done a long time ago, and these razors shave amazingly well!

The quintessential Sheffield steel is from a bygone era, and it’s too bad nobody has cloned it. I have found that it really gets on well with my face!

I really did not think that this razor was out there…a Wade & Butcher 1 and 1/16 inch FOR BARBERS USE (pre-1890s) that someone ground to a wickedly thin and beautiful full hollow! The gentlemen that just sold it to me did the restore of cleaning, polishing, and rescaling this beauty, but he said he said the razor already had the outrageous grind before he acquired it.

These are the sellers photos, and I can’t wait for it to arrive! I will follow up with some more pictures, and a shave report!

Vr

Matt
52849EE7-5FED-42AD-9E51-3598C58FA030.jpeg
5880572E-1310-46CE-AAB4-C4AE55D7DB0E.jpeg
D1532014-FE19-4837-AB6A-978BFC3334A5.jpeg

So it’s nice and fun to find a 6/8…7/8 to perhaps 7/8+ with a neat hollow grind. It is just something that was mostly done a long time ago, and these razors shave amazingly well!

The quintessential Sheffield steel is from a bygone era, and it’s too bad nobody has cloned it. I have found that it really gets on well with my face!

I really did not think that this razor was out there…a Wade & Butcher 1 and 1/16 inch FOR BARBERS USE (pre-1890s) that someone ground to a wickedly thin and beautiful full hollow! The gentlemen that just sold it to me did the restore of cleaning, polishing, and rescaling this beauty, but he said he said the razor already had the outrageous grind before he acquired it.

These are the sellers photos, and I can’t wait for it to arrive! I will follow up with some more pictures, and a shave report!

Vr

Matt
View attachment 1377085View attachment 1377086View attachment 1377088

Matt - agreed - Sheffield steel, there's something that magical about it for me, most of my collection is from that era.

The closest I've found to Sheffield steel is the Tungsten blades Sergej of RiggaRazor. His craftsmanship pays tribute to that era, and is stellar. After you dial in the edge the way you like it, was the closest I've felt to Sheffield steel.

My opinion only of course. Here's one he did for me, homage to the Lancet razor in Tungsten steel.

SOTD-RIGALANCE170204.jpg

Matt - agreed - Sheffield steel, there's something that magical about it for me, most of my collection is from that era.

The closest I've found to Sheffield steel is the Tungsten blades Sergej of RiggaRazor. His craftsmanship pays tribute to that era, and is stellar. After you dial in the edge the way you like it, was the closest I've felt to Sheffield steel.

My opinion only of course. Here's one he did for me, homage to the Lancet razor in Tungsten steel.

View attachment 1379143
Oh wow! That’s beautiful! Are all of his blades tungsten?

Vr

Matt

Oh wow! That’s beautiful! Are all of his blades tungsten?

Vr

Matt
BTW - ha, completely forgot what I was also intending to post.

I exactly know what you mean regarding Fili/Palmera similarity hollow grind with regard to W&B. I have a 7/8 + razor, I posted a shave with it and some description on another forum several years ago, that directly called the W&B the "Grandfather" of the Fili / Palmera fine hollow grinds (tongue in cheek of course) - shaved almost exactly the same only 100 years older, was similar to the one you posted. So that's two of us that came to the same conclusion! Ha! This is what "tweaked" me on this thread to begin with.....

BTW - ha, completely forgot what I was also intending to post.

I exactly know what you mean regarding Fili/Palmera similarity hollow grind with regard to W&B. I have a 7/8 + razor, I posted a shave with it and some description on another forum several years ago, that directly called the W&B the "Grandfather" of the Fili / Palmera fine hollow grinds (tongue in cheek of course) - shaved almost exactly the same only 100 years older, was similar to the one you posted. So that's two of us that came to the same conclusion! Ha! This is what "tweaked" me on this thread to begin with.....
Palmera…I have heard good things…perhaps I will get one someday! Though in the new year, I might like to get one of these tungsten razors!

Top Bottom