What's new

Vintage Butterscotch Simpson Travel Turnaround - Help Need From Brush Community

timwcic

"Look what I found"
This is something I have been searching for over many years. A Vintage Simpson Butterscotch Travel Brush or Turnaround. This is, to the best of my knowledge, the second of the two vintage styles that Simpson made before the modern Major Turnaround brush. It is a private label made for Woodward & Lothrop for sale in there dept stores. A beautiful example of a seldom seen brush. Overall in very good condition with a wonderful aged patina to the surface. The knot is about 19mm, super soft and, so far, not a shedder. The W&L company logo has enough black remaining to read. The Simpson logo is mostly gone but the engraving is partly remaining. It is engraved with a model # “5” above “Best Badger” and below that is “Simpson” where the sticker was. Slight color change where the sticker was but that’s long gone. Even missing the cap, I am ecstatic finding this brush

This brings me to my dilemma and a Hail Mary attempt for help. It’s missing the cap that would have screwed to the end. Seller told my it was long gone when it was acquired. I know it a long shot to find a part of a rare brush but got to try. Any lead on the missing part would be gratefully appreciated

Last pictures are with its fraternal twin and it’s distant cousin, a Vulfix Turnaround

20166764-F4A4-4346-8674-479A5B101F22.jpeg
7C1EDBB4-69EF-47F9-AF3A-1691B56454F9.jpeg
D96FD0E2-767B-43C3-B321-6D8FC3F4753A.jpeg
61448F14-BEC4-4740-A809-3AC3D118BDDF.jpeg
00C1D5C7-7538-4452-A55D-4A740EB465EF.jpeg
9EB74921-2653-4EEB-AA76-525616FFADAB.jpeg
41A7B904-4338-44F4-AED7-DE75EEC72623.jpeg

Awesome find...wish I could help; sorry I cant. Couldn't help wondering if losing the cap had anything to do with why Simpson eliminated it when they brought forth the Major.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
GREAT LOOKING!! :thumbup1:
Unfortunately, I cannot help with the cap.

Pretty cool! Wish I could help.

Awesome find...wish I could help; sorry I cant. Couldn't help wondering if losing the cap had anything to do with why Simpson eliminated it when they brought forth the Major.

Thank You Gentlemen. It is a tall order to fill on a obscure part

I also believe that @Jut , why make three parts when two do the job just a well

This is something I have been searching for over many years. A Vintage Simpson Butterscotch Travel Brush or Turnaround. This is, to the best of my knowledge, the second of the two vintage styles that Simpson made before the modern Major Turnaround brush. It is a private label made for Woodward & Lothrop for sale in there dept stores. A beautiful example of a seldom seen brush. Overall in very good condition with a wonderful aged patina to the surface. The knot is about 19mm, super soft and, so far, not a shedder. The W&L company logo has enough black remaining to read. The Simpson logo is mostly gone but the engraving is partly remaining. It is engraved with a model # “5” above “Best Badger” and below that is “Simpson” where the sticker was. Slight color change where the sticker was but that’s long gone. Even missing the cap, I am ecstatic finding this brush

This brings me to my dilemma and a Hail Mary attempt for help. It’s missing the cap that would have screwed to the end. Seller told my it was long gone when it was acquired. I know it a long shot to find a part of a rare brush but got to try. Any lead on the missing part would be gratefully appreciated

Last pictures are with its fraternal twin and it’s distant cousin, a Vulfix Turnaround

View attachment 1373967View attachment 1373968View attachment 1373969View attachment 1373970View attachment 1373971View attachment 1373972View attachment 1373973

View attachment 1373967View attachment 1373968View attachment 1373969View attachment 1373970View attachment 1373971View attachment 1373972View attachment 1373973
Thanks for sharing photos of this great find. Hope you find the cap. Your mention of the old Woodward & Lothrop ("Woodies") dept. store chain brings up memories. Woodies was a major dept. store in the Washington, DC Metro area from the late 19th Century until it went out of business in the early 1990s. At its peak, you could buy most everything there, even shaving brushes. Try to find shaving brushes in modern Macy's.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Thanks for sharing photos of this great find. Hope you find the cap. Your mention of the old Woodward & Lothrop ("Woodies") dept. store chain brings up memories. Woodies was a major dept. store in the Washington, DC Metro area from the late 19th Century until it went out of business in the early 1990s. At its peak, you could buy most everything there, even shaving brushes. Try to find shaving brushes in modern Macy's.

Simpson did their share of private label brushes. I have seen many over the years. The other Turnaround was sold at Abraham & Straus and I have a Chubby 3 From Strawbridge & Clothier

Top Bottom