What's new

First slant recommendation?

AD252907-D521-4653-B904-9FBD6FAFBA2B.jpeg
Had another fine shave with the FOCS and a Bic Chrome Platinum today.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Look around for some reviews posted under the "Tilted Picnic" threads.

Some that seem like good starters:

Parker SemiSlant
RazoRock German 37
Merkur 37
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements El Fantasma or other "Monster" slants
iKon X3

All of those are pretty much middle of the road, fairly gentle slants.

If you're ready to step up, then I can recommend:

Above the Tie S1 (SB) or S2 (OC)
Above the Tie X1 (AC tilted)
RazoRock Wunderbar

If vintage or otherwise hard to find is your thing:

RazoRock Stealth Slants
iKon Shavecraft 102 (tilted)
Fasan Double Slant
Merkur "Super Slant" (we don't actually know the numbers for these because Merkur has forgotten they made them.)

That oughta keep you busy for a while. These are ones I've used over the years and reviewed on the Tilted Picnic. Some of them I no longer own, for various reasons. My son has the Parker; the X3 was just too bland for me.

I've got an order in for the Rex, but I'm really on the fence. I'm just not seeing many modern makers venturing into slants in anything other than "here's another take on a Merkur" way. ATT is a wonderful exception to that, and RazoRock seems to be punching above their weight with the Wunderbar. (I find the RazoRock Stainless Steel Stealth Slant Version 4 to be a lovely shaver; the Wunderbar will test your mastery.)

O.H.
Great list. I, too, am interested in a slant. Which of these did you find the smoothest?

Great list. I, too, am interested in a slant. Which of these did you find the smoothest?
I suppose this will be a YMMW thing, with the right blade the 37C is so smooth for me that the blade "disappears". For others it is less smooth than a FOCS. The Wunderbar can also be very smooth, but one bad move and it peels your face. (bad move as in you changed the angle slightly, and not that you flung it around carelessly).

I bought a Merkur 37C for my first slant because I love my 34C, especially for every day shaving. I have to say the slant was milder than the 34C! (...)

I've read somewhere that the 37c made nowadays seems to be totally different in term of efficiency compared to the one we had around 2010-2011...

I owned it at that time and i remember it to be very efficient ! So i think there is something wrong with the brand new one...🤨

The 37c was my second razor, great choice, I thought it performed better than the RR German 37. Now I am not using slants anymore

Wunderbar!!! And I’m not kidding. The only slant I kept after trying more than a dozen. Start with the best one, and you’ll be done. 😎

Too bad they’re unavailable for the foreseeable future. I believe there’s a clone head that can be had on AliExpress, but it’s not cheap either.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Look around for some reviews posted under the "Tilted Picnic" threads.

Some that seem like good starters:

Parker SemiSlant
RazoRock German 37
Merkur 37
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements El Fantasma or other "Monster" slants
iKon X3

All of those are pretty much middle of the road, fairly gentle slants.

If you're ready to step up, then I can recommend:

Above the Tie S1 (SB) or S2 (OC)
Above the Tie X1 (AC tilted)
RazoRock Wunderbar

If vintage or otherwise hard to find is your thing:

RazoRock Stealth Slants
iKon Shavecraft 102 (tilted)
Fasan Double Slant
Merkur "Super Slant" (we don't actually know the numbers for these because Merkur has forgotten they made them.)

That oughta keep you busy for a while. These are ones I've used over the years and reviewed on the Tilted Picnic. Some of them I no longer own, for various reasons. My son has the Parker; the X3 was just too bland for me.

I've got an order in for the Rex, but I'm really on the fence. I'm just not seeing many modern makers venturing into slants in anything other than "here's another take on a Merkur" way. ATT is a wonderful exception to that, and RazoRock seems to be punching above their weight with the Wunderbar. (I find the RazoRock Stainless Steel Stealth Slant Version 4 to be a lovely shaver; the Wunderbar will test your mastery.)

O.H.

+ 20- Chuck has pretty well covered the waterfront. I've had a coupe/three or more, starting with the big Merkur 39C "sledgehammer". I've had a couple Bakelite/plastic slants that were too light for my tastes, a couple more of the Hoffritz paternity (wonderful shavers those), the Fatip OC which I found to be a good solid razor, as well as both the ATTs. I probably use the ATT SE slant more than any of the others.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead

First of all, I'll apologize to all the FOCS owners for leaving that excellent razor off my initial list. I had the feeling I was forgetting something...

So: smoothest. I like the FOCS. I am still a bit of an iconoclast with it, however, because I find that for me it performs best with a shim. I could probably get the same effect by loosening the handle a quarter-turn, or there's a very interesting handle design that @Clouds made. That design allows for the handle to be loosened to open up the gap, but then allows for locking the handle in place. That lets even more gap open up because the razor is still firmly held by the locking screw.

You can see it here

I think the ATT S2 and X1 are very smooth shavers. At present I am doing an extended shave with the RazoRock Stainless Steel Stealth Slant V4. Although it's a heavy mother it's also a very smooth shaver. It's right on the verge of being a touch too mild for my taste, but I'm really enjoying using it right now.

The Merkur "Super Slant" I have seems to shave even better than the 37/39. I haven't put in enough time on it yet but will be doing an extended shave with it soon. I have a feeling based on a couple of shaves that it's a really, really good razor.

Of the ones in current production the FOCS along with the ATT S and X series are faves. The Wunderbar is lovely smooth, particularly with a fresh blade, but I can only use it once in a while.

O.H.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
First of all, I'll apologize to all the FOCS owners for leaving that excellent razor off my initial list. I had the feeling I was forgetting something...

So: smoothest. I like the FOCS. I am still a bit of an iconoclast with it, however, because I find that for me it performs best with a shim. I could probably get the same effect by loosening the handle a quarter-turn, or there's a very interesting handle design that @Clouds made. That design allows for the handle to be loosened to open up the gap, but then allows for locking the handle in place. That lets even more gap open up because the razor is still firmly held by the locking screw.

You can see it here

I think the ATT S2 and X1 are very smooth shavers. At present I am doing an extended shave with the RazoRock Stainless Steel Stealth Slant V4. Although it's a heavy mother it's also a very smooth shaver. It's right on the verge of being a touch too mild for my taste, but I'm really enjoying using it right now.

The Merkur "Super Slant" I have seems to shave even better than the 37/39. I haven't put in enough time on it yet but will be doing an extended shave with it soon. I have a feeling based on a couple of shaves that it's a really, really good razor.

Of the ones in current production the FOCS along with the ATT S and X series are faves. The Wunderbar is lovely smooth, particularly with a fresh blade, but I can only use it once in a while.

O.H.
Thanks for the info!

I have the 🦊 in rotation now and it is ever so slightly not as smooth as the Fine or WB. I used to would not have thought so but as I’ve focused on the 3 for over a year the nuances are more apparent. It is slight however and for the $35 or so it is a fine razor.

@Old Hippie the PBOCS and Fantasma work better with a shim but for me the 🦊 was really no different.

I would say if you can find a Fine or WB, buy it. Even my polymer Fine Slant is a heck of a razor. The WB though is tops for me if I had to own just one.

Has anyone commented on the iKon B1?
I think it’s an excellent razor. If I had to have one razor, it would be the one for all others to beat. In all honesty it’s on par with a Razorock Lupo 72.

I like slants because they are slants. I don’t know anything about vintage blades, but with modern blades slants really don’t bring anything to the table.

With that in mind my recommendation for slants is to choose something that tickles your fancy. My recommendations would be Fatips because they epitomize Italian design. They look great, they can deliver a great shave, but there are always those little nagging flaws that leave us scratching our heads.

I think it’s an excellent razor. If I had to have one razor, it would be the one for all others to beat. In all honesty it’s on par with a Razorock Lupo 72.

I like slants because they are slants. I don’t know anything about vintage blades, but with modern blades slants really don’t bring anything to the table.

With that in mind my recommendation for slants is to choose something that tickles your fancy. My recommendations would be Fatips because they epitomize Italian design. They look great, they can deliver a great shave, but there are always those little nagging flaws that leave us scratching our heads.

I don’t agree that slants bring nothing to the table with modern blades.Of course, each slant involves YMMV with variables, like other razors, brushes, etc. But the slants I’ve used have characteristics of their own, as a group

I do agree about the FOCS, except the part about flaws. I can’t explain it, and I don’t mean that the FOCS is the best DE out there in every way. If such a thing exists, I haven’t found it. But my FOCS has a certain unique magic in use and for me no flaws at all.

Any other opinions about the iKon B1?

That's interesting.

Here's what I noticed when using the Crimson Ghost (same series as El Fantasma) the day after using the FOCS, in this post.
I should have clarified that the shim goes on top of the blade on the PBOCS AND ElFantasma. It stiffened the blade up and stopped the slight chatter I felt.

Top Bottom