What's new

First time using a ‘Method’ edge.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Whatever it needs. But since you have a loupe an presumably a bright worklight, try a 12k stone or 1u film, just a few laps to lay a scratch pattern down. Now you can see where you are making contact. Hone some more at that level and see if your contact area improves. If you get up into the mid hundreds range of laps, throw in the towel an drop down a grit coarser. Sneak up on it.

Sometimes I find the same issue on a method edge - one section is not as good as the rest of the blade. But rather than going back to a lower stone, I go 100 laps or so on a cordovan strop. Worth a try. If that doesn't work, I will go to the 12k. (I will run into that problem on a jnat edge as well.)

Used Bengal near this morning with a new Method edge.
Needless to say a great close shave but after using stone edges for the past week or two I got used to using a little pressure to get the job done.
I must’ve carried that into the shave this morning as my face was a bit red and stingy. Note to self: very little to no pressure needed for the Method edge. I need to do a mental reset as I choose the razor of a morning.

Good shaves with the method edged Friodur this week but I found myself up early and alone this Sunday morning so got the little coticule from the box to try some of the suggestions kindly offered here.
I lay a trickle of dish detergent on it and mixed it 50/50 with water and began to hone.
I found it quite difficult to keep this slurry on the little stone and as it’s quite a thickish mix compared to plain water, it took a couple of seconds between each pass to let it drip from the razor back into the stone.
I found I’d have to refresh the soap every 15 laps or so. So after 25 mins I’d done about 100 laps. The soap felt nice against the stone it was quite meditative. Every time I re soaped the stone id try a HHT.
I would’ve kept going but I’d finished my morning tea and the day was calling me so I left it there and went in for a shave with it.
A fine old shave!
My best coti shave so far and it’ll be fun seeing how it develops with a couple hundred more soapy laps.

I used some soap yesterday myself, all be it nor on a coti lol. So being, I also feel as if the soap gives a wonderful feel to the process. I rub a small amount of dish soap right on the stone then sprinkle with water. As you hone it foams/lathers and I do not worry with dripping back or what ever. I do 10 or so laps and dribble more water. 10 or so laps and dribble a bit more water. Maybe now or maybe after 10 more I may rinse and resoap. It adds a bit of time bit not an excessive amount.

And usually results in a nice edge. Be careful though....soapy fingers SLICK!

I’ve been using method edges all week but today before my morning shave I took my Shuredge back to the coticule, this time on running water only.
07951DA7-A18B-4933-88DC-B8A1E645533B.jpeg

At first I used as light pressure as I could, but felt nothing was happening so I increased slightly so to get that nice swish sound and quickly it began to stick. I lightened right off but increased the water flow and kept going carefully lighter and lighter fighting against the natural sticking of the steel and stone.
In recent hones I’d stopped not long after the stiction began but today I carried on for maybe 25-30 more laps as lightly as I could.
This all seemed to work as today’s shave was brilliant, smooth and sharp. The blade felt great everywhere.
Not a sting anywhere from the alum which is super rare for me then a splash of Lucky Tiger.
It’s one of those hole in one, pole position type shaves which I get every blue moon and leaves me feeling my face all day.

Great, it helps that Robeson’s are great shavers, from the pinnacle of early American, Little Valley razor making. It was the Silicone Valley of its day.

It is great that it all came together for you, many roads to Rome.

Great, it helps that Robeson’s are great shavers, from the pinnacle of early American, Little Valley razor making. It was the Silicone Valley of its day.

It is great that it all came together for you, many roads to Rome.
Yes it a brilliant little razor, one of my favourites. It’s light and very hollow and takes an amazing edge. It has a very sharp square point which I like because it gets the hollows in my neck but I have to be careful as it has a tendency to disappear under the skin and induce swearing fits.
I think I’ve been cut by this razor more than any of my others, but it’s worth it as it gives me brilliantly smooth shaves.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Once you master the square point, you can try a good Spanish point like the Gold Dollar W59. It's also great for shaving those tricky spots like inside your nostrils and ear canals. Just keep it pointy and sharp 😁.

IMG_20210203_140531.jpg

And not mine.

My first natural finisher was a La Veinette. A great stone. I added two Les Latneuses shortly thereafter. I love the smooth but keen finish I get off of the hybrid side under just water.

As for the yellow sides, one is on par with the la veinette, but the other is not as nice.

And not mine.

My first natural finisher was a La Veinette. A great stone. I added two Les Latneuses shortly thereafter. I love the smooth but keen finish I get off of the hybrid side under just water.

As for the yellow sides, one is on par with the la veinette, but the other is not as nice.
All i can say is you are not getting mine Les Latneuses:)
Easy fellas. I’ve got my own now and she’s a beaut!

0BAE47BF-F16A-4919-AB2D-0F56424D2FEE.jpeg

Top Bottom