What's new

Enjoying bowl lathering but with a synth brush it is pointless for me

Hello there,

After reading some couple of useful threads here on bowl lathering I bought a soup one to use with my brush. Honestly I haven't done so much lather with my brushes, boars in particular. However I rarely go over a two pass shave and I don't need so much lather. I am enjoying it though.

Yet in conclusion, using a synthetic brush in face lathering, I make lather as much as in a bowl lather. A synthetic brush is a lather machine. My prefered and 95% most used one is a Yaqi rainbow.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I see the problem: you're missing the lower portion of the bowl. We call that a scuttle. Warm lather, especially in the winter, is a thing of beauty. It's quicker and easier to adjust the water ratio in the scuttle as the water is distributed to all the lather almost immediately, which is more difficult when the lather covers your whole face. And you can really whip that synthetic in the bowl - but all the lather stays in the scuttle (no flying lather).

But whatever makes you happy is good. Maybe you live someplace very hot and enjoy the colder lather of the second pass.

I enjoy face lathering and can make great lather with boar, badger, horse, or synth. But the best lather I've ever made was palm lathered.
Before i joined various forums i only used a combination of hand and face lathering, mostly using badger brushes. Then i got allot of different bowls which i no longer use:) I only use a small one to soak my brushes in. When i use a synthetic i do not need to bowl at all:) I have enough lather stored in the brush for 2-3 passes.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm a face latherer, but even with a synthetic brush, I still find a lather bowl useful occasionally. With creams, I use it to coat the bristles of the brush before face lathering, so I don't overscrub with an unlubricated brush. Lob a dollop of cream in the bowl, and load from there, as if it was a soap.

Similarly with slow lathering soaps, which can benefit from a little bit of off the face work to get things started, I'll load on the soap, and start working water in, before lathering on the face. Although once the soap has softened up a bit from taking on water, it isnt always necessary.

A soup bowl sounds a bit on the large and shallow side to me.
Something like apothecary shaving mugs come close to a perfect size and keep round pucks fairly safe at the bottom.

But I face lather most of the time nevertheless…

B.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like to bowl lather and have been using this method for a round 4 years and occasionally face lather. I do not put water at all into the mother load of the puck(I tried a couple of times and did not see why).
I just scoop a little from the mother load of the puck and just press it into the bowl and start the lathering process.
I will just add a little information for newbies and what I found is warm the brush with hot water & what ever type of brush you use is just squeeze excess water out and start to swirl until you see the cream starting to form(no air bubbles) and then start to add a little water and swirl until you see cream form again and do not press hard and add a few more drops of water and so on until your happy with the lather.
If your having a hard time regulating the amount of water just use a water atomizer mister or a measuring flask or just be more careful of dipping the brush tips in the water(Very little water<12 drops> is needed to get great lather generating nicely). Some soaps just takes a little more effort to reach the lather a person wants when bowl lathering.

I choose whether to bowl lather or to face lather depending on many factors.
The main factor is the state of my skin. When my skin is sensitive, I prefer bowl lathering. When my skin needs more exfoliation, I prefer face lathering. I tend to use a denser lather for face lathering compared to bowl lathering and I tend to use badger for face lathering and synth for bowl lathering. I enjoy badger brushes more on my face compared to synthetic ones. I point out that I don't have a particularly hard skin that needs lot of exfoliation and therefore I don't use pig or boar brushes for face lathering nor for bowl lathering.

I typically shave daily and how I lather depends on how my skin feels that day. My current brushes are all Muhle synthetics so I can face lather two days straight then bowl lather for two days before going back to face lathering. The reason why I like to face lather isn't so much exfoliation but the speed and reduced clean up afterwards. I also think it uses up less cream but I can't prove that just yet.

Top Bottom