What's new

Shaving is all subjective

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I came here with lots of DE shaving experience, but very little product knowledge. The humble explorations I have done in the last 4 years, in terms of hardware and software, has put me against the prevailing current of opinion, more often than in line with it.

Some highly rated soaps don't work for me, and many of my favourites either get few comments, positive or negative, or none at all. Likewise my blade, razor, and brush choices, don't always receive a happy fanfare. They work for me though, and that's the only face I need to shave and please.

I have soaps that cost £6 each, and other soaps that cost £15-£18. My two top creams cost £20.00 and £1.00 respectively. My second longest lasting blade, is one that's renowned for having a short life, and I use it in a razor which many decry for its materials and "beginner razor" perception. I get great shaves with them. Others might not. I'm OK with that.

I liked the comment on using other user's experience. I remember avidly watching Siskel & Ebert and weighing their opinion on movies. Reading their columns and watching their show allowed me to make confident choices about movie going, not necessarily liking something because they liked it, but liking a particular kind of movie for who liked it. For instance, Siskel was horrendous at picking children's movies, Ebert was a sucker for anything that seemed like it was social justice. Same with shave reviews. Just because Kevy likes something doesn't mean I will.

Well, not all of it. Titanium is lighter than stainless steel = Objective. A Titanium razor will give you a better shave than a stainless steel razor - "No it won't!" "Yes it will!" "No it won't!" "Yes it will!" = Subjective. :001_tongu

I do agree with your post. Shaving is highly subjective indeed.

For instance, I keep going on about how wonderful my 39c Sledgehammer razor is but someone else could say (just for the sake of argument) 'I hate it. Its far too aggressive and it gives a rash on my skin'

At the end of the day, what works for you best may not necessarily work for someone else. As much as I love the shaves with the equipment I have, I try not to get overly preachy about it if you see what I mean. By all means I am happy to share my experiences with my shaves, but I don't try to enforce my beliefs on others if you get my drift. After all, shaving is highly subjective indeed.

Jason.

Lighter or less dense? After all, a 10lb brick of titanium will weigh the same as a 10lb brick of stainless steel, though the former will be bigger. 😉
Good catch. More specifically, less dense - lighter per cm^3. "A razor built in the same form factor of Titanium as the identical razor built of stainless steel." Truly objective....

Last edited:
Good catch. More specifically, less dense - lighter per cm^3. "A razor built in the same form factor of Titanium as the identical razor built of stainless steel." Truly objective....
I was entirely kidding around. I knew what you meant but couldn't resist playing the irritating pedant over something completely trivial. 😁

Thank you for not holding it against me. 🙂

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I consider it a marriage of beard/face/technique and equipment. Since three of those are unique (at least variable) to each shaver, some experimentation is certainly required.

And yet, on favorite "soap" or "blade" or "razor" threads there do seem to be some brands that appear on many of the lists. I always consider these to be a good place to start when compiling my own sampler list. It's true that GSB is popular and doesn't work for me, so it's not foolproof. But most of the recurring favorites are there for a reason, and the method has served me well.

But yes, whatever works for you is the right choice.

I was entirely kidding around. I knew what you meant but couldn't resist playing the irritating pedant over something completely trivial. 😁

Thank you for not holding it against me. 🙂
Not a bit - precision is everything! 😛

proxy.php

I have personally found that what others give rave reviews I usually do not like, and vice versa.
Yes, it is indeed a very subjective arena.
That’s just hype. I find that many times these are just folks who are relatively new to wet shaving and everything they try is just the best thing ever, not to mention boards like this one foster the sort of environment where hype can flourish. Reddit is way worse though, so I prefer it here.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
After a few months of being back into DE shaving, spending time reading about different blades, creams, etc, the bottom line is that shaving is very subjective. It all depends on what works FOR YOU. I have a very coarse beard, especially on my neck, and I’ve read reviews about the best blades and then tried those blades and hated them. I’ve been using my Parker Variant and trying different blades. I’ve hated some that are supposed to be sharp and best for coarse beards and I’ve really liked some blades that have had poor reviews. It just all depends on what feels right and what works right for you. This morning I used a Shark super chrome. I read some reviews that claimed this blade was neither sharp nor smooth. I found it to be one of the smoothest shaves I’ve had so far. No nicks at all and very enjoyable shave. Bottom line: find what works for you and don’t worry if the reviews don’t match up. It’s all about trial and error. I’m slowly getting the hang of this and learning what I like and what I don’t like. That’s all part of the process. Enjoy!
Yes indeed! Shaving is a very personal endeavor that (as long as you take the time to find the right kit for your face, skin and beard) can be a very pleasant and pleasurable routine. :)

Top Bottom