What's new

Can anybody compare the Tatara Masamune or Nodachi with the Razorock Game Changer or Lupo razors ?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, I understand that everybody is different, not only with respect to skin type and beard, but also with respect to technique and other factors too.
This is the reason for my somewhat tongue in cheek initial post.
I still think these discussions can be helpful, but in the end, as you say, it's YMMV all the way.
Only one way to find out how the Tatara stacks up on my face..... ;)

My ShavingADD, aided and abetted by the Tatara Black Friday sale, kicked in. Just ordered the Nodachi Cap, SB & OC plates and the Masamune Handle (I prefer shorter handles).

Maybe my next comparison series will be the Tatara and the Ti Blackbird..... :cool:

Only one way to find out how the Tatara stacks up on my face..... ;)

My ShavingADD, aided and abetted by the Tatara Black Friday sale, kicked in. Just ordered the Nodachi Cap, SB & OC plates and the Masamune Handle (I prefer shorter handles).

Maybe my next comparison series will be the Tatara and the Ti Blackbird..... :cool:
I did something similar for the same reasons.
At the last minute before the end of the sale, after much deliberation, calculation and investigation, I went and bought a complete Nodachi and Masamune (both SB only).

Towards the end, I was considering getting combination of either Masamune base plate with the Nodachi top cap, or Masamune top cap with the Nodachi base plate.
Now I will have an "adjustable" with no moving parts.

I will also be in a position where I can do a nice comparison and answer my original question for the sake of those future curious souls who come searching for opinions.

At the last minute before the end of the sale, after much deliberation, calculation and investigation, I went and bought a complete Nodachi and Masamune (both SB only).

Towards the end, I was considering getting combination of either Masamune base plate with the Nodachi top cap, or Masamune top cap with the Nodachi base plate.

I will also be in a position where I can do a nice comparison and answer my original question for the sake of those future curious souls who come searching for opinions.
Good choice. Let us know what you think after you have tried it.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Shaving with my Vector or Ti Blackbird until it arrives. We shall see how the Tatara stacks up. :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Shaving with my Vector or Ti Blackbird until it arrives. We shall see how the Tatara stacks up. :cool:

The Tatara Masamune and Razorock Lupo 72 are my two favorite razors. I rotate between them more than any of my others (mostly Razorock, PAA, Karve) in my collection. I agree with most of the comments in this thread. For me, the Masamune is smooth and worry free. I think of it as a Mamba 70 on steroids. It’s just as smooth but more efficient. I really enjoy shaving with it although I wish the other handles in my collection worked with it. The Lupo 72 has more blade feel and requires a lighter touch. It may actually shave a bit closer than the Tatara (but both shave very close). I can use all of the handles in my collection each giving it a different feeling. I don’t really notice a difference in the ‘craftsmanship’ as they both are beautifully made and have perfect blade alignment every time. If you could purchase both you may enjoy switching between them as I do. If you could only buy one, you can’t make a bad choice. Keep us posted.

The Nodachi on Masamune handle is one of my favorite performing razors. I've had both the 72 and 95 Lupos and like the Tatara better.....super smooth and efficient. I shave daily no problem with this setup. The Blackbird is close in performance to the Nodachi, but it has a little more blade feel. The Nodachi on Masamune handle is very maneuverable..... I refer to it as my sports car razor. I find it more efficient than the 95 Lupo and just as smooth.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I should have my Nodachi today. :)
And here it is:
20211201_202635~2.jpg

Nodachi Cap, SB and OC Plates and the Masamune Handle. :)

Think I'll sneak in a shave or two before my Bride wraps it up and puts it under the Christmas Tree. ;)

And here it is:
View attachment 1371449
Nodachi Cap, SB and OC Plates and the Masamune Handle. :)

Think I'll sneak in a shave or two before my Bride wraps it up and puts it under the Christmas Tree. ;)
Congrats. Waiting for my Masamune to come in the mail. I won’t be unboxing mine until Christmas Day. One thing I didn’t consider when ordering mine was duty. I paid €25 for shipping and I thought that’d be it but got a call from fedex and found out I have to pay another $60 CAD to get it here. The shipping + duty on my Masamune cost more then a full razor from Razorock delivered to my door

Congrats. Waiting for my Masamune to come in the mail. I won’t be unboxing mine until Christmas Day. One thing I didn’t consider when ordering mine was duty. I paid €25 for shipping and I thought that’d be it but got a call from fedex and found out I have to pay another $60 CAD to get it here. The shipping + duty on my Masamune cost more then a full razor from Razorock delivered to my door
That really sucks. I opted for the cheaper postage. If I am lucky, hopefully I won't be charged duty when it gets here. Not really sure when it will get here, but I think it would take about 4 weeks, hopefully before Christmas.

Go straight to the Nodachi Open Comb. It is a smooth, highly effective shaver. The lupo .75 OC comes close to it. But Nodachi Open comb is smoother.

Agree with this. I'm not much of an OC fan, but bought the Nodachi OC plate from a member here just to try. It does provide a nice smooth shave, with just a bit more blade feel compared to the SB plate. I couldn't tell much in regards to efficiency....seems very similar between the OC and SB plate. One of the better OC's I've tried.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Go straight to the Nodachi Open Comb. It is a smooth, highly effective shaver. The lupo .75 OC comes close to it. But Nodachi Open comb is smoother.

Agree with this. I'm not much of an OC fan, but bought the Nodachi OC plate from a member here just to try. It does provide a nice smooth shave, with just a bit more blade feel compared to the SB plate. I couldn't tell much in regards to efficiency....seems very similar between the OC and SB plate. One of the better OC's I've tried.
Appreciate the suggestions, but I usually start with the SB and then go to the OC on a subsequent shave. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
@never-stop-learning, my order arrived yesterday. Here are a few hastily snapped pictures:
Wrapped.JPG

Box.JPG

Masamune.JPG

Nodachi.JPG

First impressions are that these razors are very well packaged and they exude an air of refinement and quality. I can see how some people refer to them as being like sports cars.
Tatara have cut back on the packaging, however, and the boxes that they come in don't have the magnetic catch that earlier versions had. These require one to slide the cork inner out of the cardboard outer cover.

Aesthetically they are in another class when compared to the Razorock offerings. But these are tools after all and the real test will be how they perform at their intended purpose.
Can one of them unseat my Game Changer .84 and Lupo .72 in ease of use and effectiveness ?

A full comparison will follow, but I couldn't resist shaving with the Nodachi this morning and it is much more aggressive than the Lupo with the .95 base plate with a lot more blade exposure.
I will have to take some time to learn to use it properly, but at this point, it is quite far from being an autopilot shaver.

Top Bottom