What's new

Replaced my R41 by a Fatip Piccolo!

You didn't know which razor you had been using? My R41 is used for only multiple day growth, but it works well for that. Other days I use a vintage Gillette.

You didn't know which razor you had been using? My R41 is used for only multiple day growth, but it works well for that. Other days I use a vintage Gillette.
I think when I ordered my first razor, I got confused between the black R89 and the R101

R101-1.jpg
41QAqZ-ouZL._SY355_.jpg

The R101 is a black version of the R41. Might also be that maybe the seller actually made a mistake and got me a R41 instead of the R89. They look pretty similar to the profane...

Either way all this time I thought I had a R89 in black. I then found out much later it was actually another razor.

I have a Fatip Retro (MK1) and a DS-Z0. I never had a R41...

I can understand the love for the Fatips's... they are like an Alfa Romeo! Before you take a ride you need to check and tune some things (in this case adjusting the blade alignment hehehe), but when it's done! You will have an incredible experience!
The DS-Z0 is a badass shaver, I still don't fully master it but it's been my current shaver for the last few days...

When I started shaving about a year ago I bought a Muehle razor. Got one with a black handle and thought it was a Muehle R89.
I thought I got a mild razor for beginners but turns out I actually bought a black version R41!
Now let me tell you a funny joke: I shave my face and my head too, and I suffered for a year of bad bites and irritations thinking that it was maybe my poor technique or bad blades never realising that I had the most agressive razor in the whole damn world :thumbup:
I just found out about my mistake randomly by hanging around in the B&B forum when looking for pics of my razor last week.

Fortunately I also caught a few discussions about the Fatip Piccolo (MKII) being much more comfortable and milder than the R41 so I decided to get one for myself and give my skin a break.

I am only on my 3rd shave with the Fatip now but I am getting more used to it.

And man what a difference! I can now shave without being afraid of the dreaded alum block (and no more afraid to scalp my head), I can now breathe while I make a pass with my razor and not curl into a ball in foetus position crying and calling for help at the end of a shave!
Just kidding, after a year with the R41 I got to master the beast but it was sometimes not so comfortable. The Fatip just gives me that extra comfort I needed.

The Fatip is still pretty agressive but night and day compared with the Muehle. I really like the feel of it and the feedback sound is much quieter than the sound of the R41 lawn mower.
I think it looks awesome in Nickel finish and seems to be a really good bang for the buck. The blade alignment problem is not really bothering me with my exemplar, just need to be a bit more careful when mounting a blade and it's fine.

I like how it behaves when shaving, I love it's hefty weight and the small handle is great for my hands. Anyway, I might get the slanted one someday too but not really sure as I have also a straight Razor and it's perfect for any situation.

I just want to thank you all guys who talked about the Fatip cause it's a great little razor.

View attachment 1354308
I started my wet shaving adventure with a highly hyped Supply Single Edge. What a failure that was. I then got the Fatip Picollo Special Edition and finally felt I was shaving. I got a Mühle R41/R89 on special later but used it maybe 5 times? It shaves as close as the Picollo (Originale, always) but the Picollo is just a nicer experience. I also got a RazoRock Hawk (Single Edge) but I find the head to wide and the blades way to expensive without adding anythong to the Fatip's shave quality and dislike the lack of weight of the aluminium construction.
The only issue is have with the Picollo (besides the fact that the finish wore off pretty quickly) is that it sometimes feels the handle is just a little too thin and my fingers feel a little cramped up? I since got the Il Storto (Gold) but in my experience – against most slant razor reviews in general – it is just a tad less efficient then the regular originale. My latest purchase is the Wood Olive, mostly because of the thicker handle. And although the thickness is more comfortable, somehow my heart still goes to my little worn-out Picollo. So at this very moment I'm really looking forward to getting myself an Il Grosso... in – for now – unexisting nickel finish. But it's always Fatip Originale for me, nothing else!

I see you are using Proraso shaving cream. You bowl-lather or apply to your face and face-lather? (I'd like to get myself the Proraso Azur Lime Shaving Cream, but don't like the idea of cluttering my bathroom too much.)

I'm really looking forward to getting myself an Il Grosso... in – for now – unexisting nickel finish. But it's always Fatip Originale for me, nothing else!
Couldn't agree more... I have the focs and the picollo originale is on it's way..

btw: Nickel version of the grande exists... (rasoigoodfellas - italy)

Knipsel.JPG

Cheers...

I must be the exception that proves the rule. I have used several different Fatip razors, including the FOCS, but none of them worked for me as a daily shaver. The shaves were smooth and efficient and felt comfortable while shaving, but they all inevitably irritated my neck. Recently, I acquired an R41. I would say it's not as smooth as the FOCS but is slightly more efficient. It has lots of blade feel, and I can use it daily without any nicks, cuts or irritation.

I started my wet shaving adventure with a highly hyped Supply Single Edge. What a failure that was. I then got the Fatip Picollo Special Edition and finally felt I was shaving. I got a Mühle R41/R89 on special later but used it maybe 5 times? It shaves as close as the Picollo (Originale, always) but the Picollo is just a nicer experience. I also got a RazoRock Hawk (Single Edge) but I find the head to wide and the blades way to expensive without adding anythong to the Fatip's shave quality and dislike the lack of weight of the aluminium construction.
The only issue is have with the Picollo (besides the fact that the finish wore off pretty quickly) is that it sometimes feels the handle is just a little too thin and my fingers feel a little cramped up? I since got the Il Storto (Gold) but in my experience – against most slant razor reviews in general – it is just a tad less efficient then the regular originale. My latest purchase is the Wood Olive, mostly because of the thicker handle. And although the thickness is more comfortable, somehow my heart still goes to my little worn-out Picollo. So at this very moment I'm really looking forward to getting myself an Il Grosso... in – for now – unexisting nickel finish. But it's always Fatip Originale for me, nothing else!

I see you are using Proraso shaving cream. You bowl-lather or apply to your face and face-lather? (I'd like to get myself the Proraso Azur Lime Shaving Cream, but don't like the idea of cluttering my bathroom too much.)

I used a lot of Proraso cream while I was abroad cause that's all I had with me but usually I use all kinds of soaps and creams with a preference for TOBS.
Proraso creams are fine but I would not say they are the best I have in my den.
I mostly bowl lather cause I also shave my head.
With DE razors, I sometimes like to face lather when I use a hard soap like Tabac. I always face lather with my Kai Captain shavette though (I find it gives me a better glide)

I must be the exception that proves the rule. I have used several different Fatip razors, including the FOCS, but none of them worked for me as a daily shaver. The shaves were smooth and efficient and felt comfortable while shaving, but they all inevitably irritated my neck. Recently, I acquired an R41. I would say it's not as smooth as the FOCS but is slightly more efficient. It has lots of blade feel, and I can use it daily without any nicks, cuts or irritation.

I must say I found the Fatip is less agressive vs my R41 but it is still pretty hard on my skin.
I recently found an old Gillette Tech Ball-end that belonged to my uncle, cleaned it and tried it right away>

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-24 at 17.07.07.jpeg

It was such a mild and perfect painless shave, I did not touch my other razors again since then. I only had irritation free shaves with almost Zero feedback with the alun stone. Most of the time I don't even need any post shave.

I guess even the Fatip was too much for me but I might use it again sometimes when I have very long growth but only on the face not on my head.

Top Bottom