What's new

That Windsor feeling! My journey with the Windsor from Above The Tie.

The ATT Windsor Pro is now my favorite DE razor. I have the aluminum one in black and I love the blade gap and everything else about it. This razor gives me the best shave of any other razor.

ATT Windsor Pro3.JPG
ATT Windsor Pro2.JPG

Last edited:
If anyone is curious about the aluminum version of the Windsor Pro, it’s only $27 in the scratch and dent right now (not sure if the price is reduced because of Black Friday) so get it while you can.

Where do you see the whole razor for sale? I couldn’t find it anywhere in their site and i was interested in buying the whole razor
Here is a link to it if you still want it:

ATT has me confused. When I was looking on my second order with them to buy base plates, I see the copper plates say discontinued, but they are still selling the Copper 5 piece sets. I’d like to get a copper heavy CH1 plate but looks like I’ll have to source the used market for that. I also bought a copper Windsor on B&B BST but it has the CR1 regular plate, and knowing me I’d prefer the most aggressive plate.

Ps. Did they ever make the copper plates in open comb as I tend to prefer to buy open comb if that is an option.
The Windsor copper plates (M1,R1, & H1) were part of a limited run several years ago. It was never intended to be released again once it was sold out. Since we are phasing out the old Windsor plates (M, R, &H), there will not be any more made. The new Windsor plates SSMR (mild to regular) and SSRH (regular to heavy) have combined the best of the original plates. We are releasing our OC version in a couple weeks. You can pre-order them now. All of our stainless has replating options. Copper is one! You can order a new Windsor OC and get it replated in copper.
The limited edition 5 piece copper sets we’re offering is the new Windsor plates and they have been replated in copper.
I hope this helps. Happy shaving!

Mariah

The Windsor copper plates (M1,R1, & H1) were part of a limited run several years ago. It was never intended to be released again once it was sold out. Since we are phasing out the old Windsor plates (M, R, &H), there will not be any more made. The new Windsor plates SSMR (mild to regular) and SSRH (regular to heavy) have combined the best of the original plates. We are releasing our OC version in a couple weeks. You can pre-order them now. All of our stainless has replating options. Copper is one! You can order a new Windsor OC and get it replated in copper.
The limited edition 5 piece copper sets we’re offering is the new Windsor plates and they have been replated in copper.
I hope this helps. Happy shaving!

Mariah
Thanks for the info Mariah. Glad to hear about the OC plates. The copper plating won’t work for me as I’m wanting solid copper so i can have it age with its patina that I’m sure copper plating won’t be able to do.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Thanks for the info Mariah. Glad to hear about the OC plates. The copper plating won’t work for me as I’m wanting solid copper so i can have it age with its patina that I’m sure copper plating won’t be able to do.
The Above the Tie copper plates appear to be sealed and show no signs of developing a patina. Unsealed copper plate will patinate. Just look at the bottom of an old Revere Ware pan. I have a lot of copper cookware, and I am grateful that my razor plates do not require polishing! The uncanny tendency for copper polish to build up in tiny nooks and crannies would be a challenge with those ridges and drainage holes!

The Above the Tie copper plates appear to be sealed and show no signs of developing a patina. Unsealed copper plate will patinate. Just look at the bottom of an old Revere Ware pan. I have a lot of copper cookware, and I am grateful that my razor plates do not require polishing! The uncanny tendency for copper polish to build up in tiny nooks and crannies would be a challenge with those ridges and drainage holes!
Yes there is a coating but i was going to remove it like this person accidentally did. I prefer the patina look on copper and brass.

Copper ATT

Also I just gave a light polish to my brass KARVE it’s not a mirror finish but removed the black water spots that were present when I bought this used…. I didn’t need any copper or brass cleaner either, just toothpaste, toothbrush, water, elbow grease and a bit of patience. If I ever wanted to restore the shine to the copper ATT plate with the holes, the same procedure I used on the KARVE would work great but maybe take a little more time.

A5FF42A5-BEB2-4C90-9932-3F62845D9F3C.jpeg

Last edited:
Actually the copper plating is not coated with a clear coat, so it will patina! So far we’ve seen some beautiful patina start to appear! One of our 5 piece sets had a beautiful purplish patina on it (we polish them up before we send them out). The last set we have, has stated to turn this amazing deep orange.
I’m actually going to be listing some copper plated vintage soon…😉
Our original copper razors were clear coated, so they don’t patina.

Actually the copper plating is not coated with a clear coat, so it will patina! So far we’ve seen some beautiful patina start to appear! One of our 5 piece sets had a beautiful purplish patina on it (we polish them up before we send them out). The last set we have, has stated to turn this amazing deep orange.
I’m actually going to be listing some copper plated vintage soon…😉
Our original copper razors were clear coated, so they don’t patina.
Good to know Mariah!!! So to be clear (pun intended), the original and now discontinued copper Windsor plates were solid copper that were clear coated, or are they just stainless steel with a copper plate that was then clear coated? If it’s only copper plated, how long before that plating is removed and you see the stainless steel underneath?

Good to know Mariah!!! So to be clear (pun intended), the original and now discontinued copper Windsor plates were solid copper that were clear coated, or are they just stainless steel with a copper plate that was then clear coated? If it’s only copper plated, how long before that plating is removed and you see the stainless steel underneath?
I see what you did there! 😂 The discontinued Windsor copper razors are solid copper. And they were clearcoated. The copper plating on the stainless steel razors that we offer now, should last you years and years. As long as you don’t use harsh abrasives or chemicals. Just a mild soap and warm water should do the trick to get them clean. We also recommend the yellow sunshine cloths to keep them polished if that’s how you want them to look.

I see what you did there! 😂 The discontinued Windsor copper razors are solid copper. And they were clearcoated. The copper plating on the stainless steel razors that we offer now, should last you years and years. As long as you don’t use harsh abrasives or chemicals. Just a mild soap and warm water should do the trick to get them clean. We also recommend the yellow sunshine cloths to keep them polished if that’s how you want them to look.
Fill me in on these magical yellow sunshine cloths… 😂😂😂😂 not sure if that’s another term for micro fiber cloths?

@Vincentchou In case you hadn't seen - the new Windsor solid bar and open comb base plates are listed!

As @J.Atique was kind enough to share, we do have more Stainless Steel Windsor Pros listed on the website.

To answer the speculation on the Windsor Pro stuff - there are a couple of reasons why the Windsor Pro line has not progressed at the rate we initially hoped, the primary reason being COVID. International shipping has been a bit of a nightmare the last couple of years. Combine that with rising and fluctuating shipping, labor, material, and manufacturing costs - we have chosen to focus more on the development of our USA-based Windsor line and investing in local business with our manufacturing. For a number of reasons at the moment, this is more cost effective for us and allows us to be much more hands-on. We are working closely with our local machine shop to develop new products.

In small business, sometimes things don't always go exactly to plan, and a worldwide pandemic, with the ensuing shipping and manufacturing strains, have made for unexpected challenges. We would love to bring back the Stainless Steel Windsor Pro in full swing, but it remains to be seen how feasible this will be, all things considered. We love the Windsor Pro line. They're great razors, and most people who use them seem to love them, too. But there are a variety of other things we have to take into consideration. We'll see how things suss out.

Top Bottom