What's new

GEM Style Razor Collection

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've a bunch of GEM SE's - the favorite remains the Micromatic Open Comb, edging out the Streamline . By a pretty wide margin actually but I also shave with a couple lather catchers, and Schicks are my all time best shavers .. but that's a different format

And there is also the Treet baton handle. The Treet looks like a Junior, but instead of a closed comb it has a clog Pruf safety bar.
78F222A5-F462-4FCE-A789-962C58FD37A7.jpeg

I like the first Contour. While the Feather Weight is often touted as being the mildest, I found it quite harsh for a GEM. Not horrible, but just not worth it to me. The Contour was perfect, and led me to try and discover the classics. Now I'm hooked on the GEM design!
I can concur that, at least for me, the Feather Weight is not as good a shaver as others, like the G-Bar.

I have the 1912 Gem Junior with the black Bakelite Baton handle. I love it. I also find that the mass of a thicker/heavier handle pumps up the aggression a bit, which I appreciate.

That particular model of the Gem 1912 came late to the party. I understand it dates from circa 1938 to WW2.
I see these come up every so often and am never quite sure how they'd be. It's good to have a vote of confidence.

I've a bunch of GEM SE's - the favorite remains the Micromatic Open Comb, edging out the Streamline . By a pretty wide margin actually but I also shave with a couple lather catchers, and Schicks are my all time best shavers .. but that's a different format
I have had my best GEM shaves with a MMOC as well. It gets most of the things right for me, length, weight, handle/head position, blade feel. It's pretty tough to beat and being made of brass means it will basically last forever.

And there is also the Treet baton handle. The Treet looks like a Junior, but instead of a closed comb it has a clog Pruf safety bar.
View attachment 1368747
This isn't one that was on my radar. Thanks for pointing it out!

Another of my favorites is the Flying Wing.
View attachment 1368757
I had heard good things about this one as well although there's apparently a difference between the one with the "eye" and the one without.

The "eye" on the razor in post 26 above is computerized, in case anyone is wondering. The eye on the Micromatic Gem Flying Wing informally known as the Gem Bullet Tip, in the real world is etched and tiny, with no shaving application, except maybe to communicate "this side goes against the face" for the uninitiated. :lemo:

The Gem Micromatic Flying Wing was made 1947-1948. It is known as the mildest of the 3 Micromatics, in descending order from the Micromatic Open Comb and the Micromatic Clog Pruf.

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Another vote for the Ever Ready 1914 Little Lather Catcher. I have slowly come to believe that for me it's the very best Gemish razor out there. I have, literally, paid 100 times what I paid for my LLC for another Gemish razor and guess what? The LLC still has it, hands down.

I've had a Clog-Pruf and currently have a Blackland Sabre. Good razors, but not for me any better than the LLC. But boy that Sabre is a stunning piece of kit, ain't it?

O.H.

You have some nice ASR razors there and there are few that I enjoy and you do not have yet if your into collecting them.
The Gem Clog Pruf(Peerless model,17 nib safety bar) and the Everready 1914 are excellent mid range razors. The 1914 has nice nice audio feedback when shaving and was very popular for its time.
View attachment 1368612 View attachment 1368613
Have some great shaves!

I have the 1912 Gem Junior with the black Bakelite Baton handle. I love it. I also find that the mass of a thicker/heavier handle pumps up the aggression a bit, which I appreciate.

That particular model of the Gem 1912 came late to the party. I understand it dates from circa 1938 to WW2.

As next Gem razors for the OP, I'm voting with these guys. 1914 mainly for 'completeness'. I like my 1914 shaves, but I do not like grabbing the cap to open it up. There is a reason there are so many more 1912s than 1914s out there.

The baton handle is a nice variant. I prefer my Gem Junior to my Treet, but it is all good. I should make a baton in standard female threading for modern DE. Or just get somebody to make an adapter.

Shovelhead is my personal favorite, but he already has it.

Here in the Pacific NW, Gem razors are often inexpensive and very available at vintage stores. That is why I have far too many, including a ton of 1912 variations.

As next Gem razors for the OP, I'm voting with these guys. 1914 mainly for 'completeness'. I like my 1914 shaves, but I do not like grabbing the cap to open it up. There is a reason there are so many more 1912s than 1914s out there.

The baton handle is a nice variant. I prefer my Gem Junior to my Treet, but it is all good. I should make a baton in standard female threading for modern DE. Or just get somebody to make an adapter.

Here in the Pacific NW, Gem razors are often inexpensive and very available at vintage stores. That is why I have far too many, including a ton of 1912 variations.
I tried swapping a baton handle onto an Autostrop. It fit, but unfortunately it also blocked the lever that holds the blade into the stops.

Thanks for taking the time to write this. I'll definitely keep my eye out for a 1914 as well as a baton-handled GEM or Treet.

Top Bottom