What's new

The Ultimate Shaving Kit

I wish I knew how to edit. I had some typos. I am not totally convinced fancy isn't worth it.
One understanding is that one of the reasons for the premium price of the brand is is scents. Well I got unscented, but paid the same premium price.

It is soap. It's certainly a higher quality soap than Vander Hagen.

Also, as I obviously prefer the form factor of puck to cream the cream soap is at disadvantage.

I like the silky lather though. Just oof the price.

I want to compare veggie puck against, lanolin puck vs tallow puck.

That seems like next science.

Bluemercury? Cool Area, I have only been to central!
I grew up near a yuppy shopping district in CA called Santana Row. I think it is pretty well known.
I can't remember the one place, but there is another. A fancy men's salon called boardroom. They carry all sorts of stuff and if you Google their site there is even a pool table and nice leather chairs. So cool! I wish I actually had a beard to have them shave.

I bet they don't do the Korean skincare version of face shave

I took a look on Amazon and even Haslingers is $3 more than Maggards. Brad really runs a good business. If you can find some other items you want, I would recommend ordering from there. I got my Haslinger puck free with my shavemac brush otherwise I wouldn't have ever tried it.

Pasteur might be worth a look also, this is worth reading just for a laugh

pasteurshaving(dot)com/product/haslinger-woman-shaving-soap-with-sandalwood-and-aloe-vera-60g/

Edit: they have Mitchells(tallow) for about 18 for the refill also Haslinger Schafmilch, which is veggie

Last edited:
I started with Van der Hagan deluxe and agree that many offerings aren't 10x better. Once I branched out though I haven't used it in a long time. Keep in mind it's a smaller puck and will wear quicker than some, so it's not as cheap as it appears on the surface. There are plenty of great middle ground priced options. For an inexpensive hard puck that lasts a long time look at Pre de Provence on Amazon. Proraso in a tube is one of my favorites and cheap on ebay---the tub is cheaper but I like the tube for some reason. For artisans it's hard to go wrong with the forum favorite's Captain's Choice and Stirling. Both are cheaper than the overhyped producers and still give great performance. Stirling has several scents aimed for women and the Captain's lathering bowls are legendary.

My wife likes Cella Bio (vegan) for under her arms because she said cuts through her deordorant but uses Dove for the rest. The Henson razor is her weapon of choice.

Vander Hagen

Attachments

• Vander Hagen.jpg
    Vander Hagen.jpg
    687.7 KB · Views: 7
The list is growing :a30:

If you need a brush sent to you, just say so ☺️

I have started using the lanolin based hair conditioner shave cream as a slick base for the lather for PAA. That's magic. It works better together than the Vander Hagen for sure, but it sorta negates the point of the PAA being veggie.

Also hair conditioner as a pre shave is so amazing. Still no bumps in forever.

I have found the perfect shaving kit!

So I keep practicing.

So firstly I am so glad I got the scentless first.
So I have many samples amd or rollers of my favorite perfume and I decided to add some to the lather.
It worked great. Subtle notes I missed before suddenly appeared. I love my favorite perfume even more.

Best shave and bath ever.... and or so far. I smell so good.

I didn't use very much but it went a very long way.

Attachments

• 20211120_202835.jpg
    20211120_202835.jpg
    740.8 KB · Views: 8
So trying out new products. Ordered Bic chrome, Nacet , and Sputnik. One each. Also got a soap.

Attachments

• 20211122_184858.jpg
    20211122_184858.jpg
    855.8 KB · Views: 3
So I think I have found the ultimate shaving kit. Feather ASD2 with Feather blades. Yaqi synthetic brush, but badger in the way to make sure.
A mix of Arko and PAA is just so ridiculously slick. The Feather blade just glides.
I want to try stuff but can't make myself buy.
I have some more blades coming, but all are less sharp than nacet and KAI so I figure I can just call the blade face off.
I have Stirling soap coming and now will test scents.
Yay this hobby, but I expected this to take longer.
I can't just buy if I think I have the perfect stuff though.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
proxy.php

In my opinion some blades are better than others. However, in the Feather AS-D2 the blade which works best is the blade made to be used in it. Or, is it the other way around? Was the razor made to wrap around the Feather blade? In either case, they go together like they were designed to be used together.

I am not a fan of Feather blades. They shave me great, but irritate my skin. However, they are still the blade of choice in the razor you like.

Not everyone likes the Feather AS-D2 either, but nobody thinks it anything but a great razor for those who find it perfect for them.

Sometimes I wish I got along better with my AS-D2 and a Feather blade, but facts are facts.

It's a great combination if it works for you!

In this photo it's obviously on a non Feather handle but I don't know for sure which one. Maybe a RR barberpole?​
Feather.Kit.640.6-22-18.JPG

My intention when I began this journey was much like yours. I bought for myself this Feather AS-D2. Had it worked for me I would have spent several thousand dollars on something else, but instead have a great many razors.

Being the enabler I am I will encourage you to try our a great many brushes since you've found your perfect razor. If you ask me I'll be happy to tell you which brushes are worth your consideration.

proxy.php

There is a trophy awaiting anyone who actually saves money with this hobby.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom