What's new

Best way to rotate 20+ brushes

Hello,

I started wet shaving 10 months ago and I've lost my battle to shaving brush acquisition disorder. I now have around 20 brushes which have various knot types and sizes (badger, boar, horse, synthetic and from 19 mm to 26mm). I kinda regret I got this many brushes as it's a waste of money and time (to care for them and store properly etc). Now that I have them, I want to use all of them (don't want to lose money by selling for undervalue) but don't know what's the best way to rotate. Should I use them one by one meaning one shave with each brush until all of them are used then repeat the cycle? Or is it better to choose 2-3 of them and use them for a month and change next month, etc.? What's your opinions? Thank you.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Hello,

I started wet shaving 10 months ago and I've lost my battle to shaving brush acquisition disorder. I now have around 20 brushes which have various knot types and sizes (badger, boar, horse, synthetic and from 19 mm to 26mm). I kinda regret I got this many brushes as it's a waste of money and time (to care for them and store properly etc). Now that I have them, I want to use all of them (don't want to lose money by selling for undervalue) but don't know what's the best way to rotate. Should I use them one by one meaning one shave with each brush until all of them are used then repeat the cycle? Or is it better to choose 2-3 of them and use them for a month and change next month, etc.? What's your opinions? Thank you.
I just choose randomly but at least once per week I try to pick the brush I have not used for the longest time. If your brushes are Simpson, Paladin, or other such brands then the resale value is good.

I have split mine in "from my cold, dead hands" and "occasional/special use respectively not 100% sure to keep them".

I pif'ed a couple of brushes that were clearly not for me and have yet to go forward and sell some others.

top row: occasional use
middle: main rotation
bottom: exclusive use for shaving my head

IMG_1345.jpg

I just grab whatever brush strikes my fancy and use it. Sometimes I use it for days or months at a time and sometimes I switch it up the next day.

If you enjoy all 20 then a random selection would work well. If you are looking to find the brushes you like best, Use each for several days and write down what you like/dislike about it after every shave. After using all 20 look at your notes, keep the ones you liked best and PIF the ones that didn't make the cut. If they all turn out to be keepers then you have a great rotation to work with!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Having to choose from twenty brushes each shave would drive me scatty. Having a formal rotation system, which dictates to me what to use and when, would also drive me scatty.

I can just about tolerate having five brushes, by leaving one in the travel kit, two in the bathroom, and only swapping one of the two in the bathroom for one of the other two, if I get really bored, or specifically need a certain brush for some reason.

I would suggest picking four or five, and using them for a month, then swap them for four or five of the others, and so on. In time, you might find yourself less enamoured with some brushes than others, which might help you in deciding what to unburden yourself of.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you have a lot of brushes like myself and want to use them make sure they are visually in eye sight and just pick one you fancy and go from there(Out of sight out of mind & they don't get used= waste of money). Lately I have collected some Yaqi badger and boar brushes and I like to rotate them and just enjoy using them. One day synthetic and the next a natural hair brush and like the different face feels from the different variant of brushes and they did not break the bank either(I only buy stuff on sale usually or heavy discounted prices).
I do the same with my razors, keep them in eye sight and kind of make a rotation > A.S.R. corp razors Monday & Tuesday, Razorock Wednesday & Thursday, Friday Yaqi , Gillette Saturday, Schick injector Sunday......new razor 1 week continuous possibly. I have concluded I simply like Varity and this way I do not get bored and look forward to using my gear.
If you use your favorite brush or razor only once a week that adds up to 52 uses per year while you can still use other brushes staggered through out the year.
Brush collage of new brush and razor holder..jpg

Have some great shaves!

OMG. 10 months and 20 brushes. You need help.

I've been doing it for 4 years and only have 1 omega boar. :D I don't feel like I'm losing out on anything. In fact I feel like a champ compared to many here. :D
Yup. I've come to my senses but it's too late lol. If I had a chance to go back in time I'd only get a pair of SOC (2 band and a boar - both in cherry wood) and enjoy my life. Honesty that set-up would serve me well for years, maybe decades. SOC 2 band badger is definitely is my favorite brush. Maybe I need to get rid of all this burden. Let's see.

Hello,

I'm at around 30 brushes, the majority of which are refurbed classics like EverReady, Fuller, etc. I use a different brush every day and attempt to match the brush to the soap. For example, this morning I shaved with a very soft Shave Forge synthetic knot using a TOBS cream soap. That brush would not work well with a harder soap. I tend to use the boar brushes on cakes and face lather. And, I have some brushes that I always save for a particular soap that I know works well. (Parker 24mm badger on Sterling Barber Shop). This not only rotatates the brushes but also the soaps I use.

This is what I like to see your breaking out of the normal mold and into the best mold to be in, whatever takes your fancy on that given day spice your life up and take risks the normal mold is for boring people.

Wait until you get to 230 brushes and still going up, a waste is when you hide them away that's when you don't need them.

Its a deep hole to be in but finding the right one is a hard, one that you going to use day in day out until it dies
multiple brushes then you have a wonderful choice.....

2b.jpg

Last edited:

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
No formal system. I just pick and choose as the spirit moves me. Now when I go to load my brushes, I swirl clockwise.

Top Bottom