What's new

Can anybody compare the Tatara Masamune or Nodachi with the Razorock Game Changer or Lupo razors ?

Hello,

I would like to know if you, the reader, can compare one or both of the Tatara Masamune or Nodachi razors with the Razorock Game Changer or Lupo razors in terms of smoothness and efficiency and maybe rank them accordingly.
The SB versions, that is.

I have been trying out the different Game Changer and Lupo combinations (SB) and I can get great shaves from each of them. I am, however leaning towards favoring the Lupo .95 as I find that I have to make quite a bit more of an effort with the GC .68 and Lupo .72 to get a similar result.
I.e, I have to hack at my chin stubble more with them :)

The Tatara razors have appealed to me for quite some time, and now that they are on sale I am considering getting one. I am just not sure which one.

For the record, I shave every day and have what I believe to be a fairly coarse and fast growing beard with skin that is on the soft side but not terribly sensitive (??), however, I seem to have settled on the Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow ) blades over the 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (Green)/Gillette Silver Blue/Nacet blades so far and that seems to be at odds with tough stubble.

I am still aiming for a safety razor that I can carelessly fling about my face with reckless abandon while all hell is breaking loose around be, and while the Lupo .95 does a marvelous job of moving down my stubble, I am still a little afraid quite respectful of it and feel like I need to pay close attention when using it.
Did I mention that I have long admired the Tatara razors ?

Anyway, I am hoping that somebody can remind me that this is all completely subjective and that my mileage in fact varies wildly from everybody else's.
I just need a little confirmation bias.

I also hope that even though this tread is completely meaningless, it may provide a light at the end of a tunnel rabbit hole for some other curious soul one day, and those future curious souls and I will appreciate any meaningful comments that you can make regardless.
Oxymoron intended. (Apologies for playing the fool here, I think I might feel the Holiday season coming on).

Thanks!

I’ve never tried a GC or a Lupo, but my Masamune is in rotation. I like the medium weight of about 3-1/2 oz and the balance.

With a SB baseplate, it’s on the mild side the way I like it—same category as a pre-WW2 Tech but at a much higher level of workmanship. The shave is very smooth and pretty efficient, especially with a sharp blade like a Gillette SB.

With an OC baseplate, it’s a completely different story. Very efficient but much less smooth. Same great weight and balance, though. I could learn to adjust make it work, but at the moment it’s too aggressive for me.

I’ve never tried a GC or a Lupo, but my Masamune is in rotation. I like the medium weight of about 3-1/2 oz and the balance.

With a SB baseplate, it’s on the mild side the way I like it—same category as a pre-WW2 Tech but at a much higher level of workmanship. The shave is very smooth and pretty efficient, especially with a sharp blade like a Gillette SB.

With an OC baseplate, it’s a completely different story. Very efficient but much less smooth. Same great weight and balance, though. I could learn to adjust make it work, but at the moment it’s too aggressive for me.
Thanks. I have never used a Gillette Tech so I can't relate to it's efficiency, but I do hear you on the workmanship.

Well, I recently shaved with a Tatara Nodachi cap/handle w/ Masamune OC plate and then had a shave with the Lupo .95 a couple days later, to be honest the shaves didn't seem terribly different from one another in terms of performance and comfort weirdly enough. Between a full on Nodachi vs the Lupo .95, I might have to give the edge to the Nodachi on efficiency, but the Lupo by comparison feels a bit more comfortable in general

Last edited:
Well, I recently shave with a Tatara Nodachi cap/handle w/ Masamune OC plate and then had a shave with the Lupo .95 a couple days later, to be honest the shaves didn't seem terribly different from one another in terms of performance and comfort weirdly enough. Between a full on Nodachi vs the Lupo .95, I might have to give the edge to the Nodachi on efficiency, but the Lupo by comparison feels a bit more comfortable in general
Thanks, that's very interesting. I am quite surprised by what you say.
I guess that would rule out the Masamune altogether.

The Lupo .95 is efficient enough for me, but I was wondering if one of the Tatara razors could at least match the efficiency and be more comfortable as well. Your experience would seem to indicate otherwise.

I have the lupo DC and all options from Tatara. The Tatara feels more refined. I like the Masamune top cap paired with the Nodachi base plate (OC and SB). I have not used my Lupo in a while. Even the Muramasa gets used less.
Thanks, does "more refined" mean it is a more comfortable shave or that the razor is more finely made ?

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hello,

I would like to know if you, the reader, can compare one or both of the Tatara Masamune or Nodachi razors with the Razorock Game Changer or Lupo razors in terms of smoothness and efficiency and maybe rank them accordingly.
The SB versions, that is.

I have been trying out the different Game Changer and Lupo combinations (SB) and I can get great shaves from each of them. I am, however leaning towards favoring the Lupo .95 as I find that I have to make quite a bit more of an effort with the GC .68 and Lupo .72 to get a similar result.
I.e, I have to hack at my chin stubble more with them :)

The Tatara razors have appealed to me for quite some time, and now that they are on sale I am considering getting one. I am just not sure which one.

For the record, I shave every day and have what I believe to be a fairly coarse and fast growing beard with skin that is on the soft side but not terribly sensitive (??), however, I seem to have settled on the Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow ) blades over the 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (Green)/Gillette Silver Blue/Nacet blades so far and that seems to be at odds with tough stubble.

I am still aiming for a safety razor that I can carelessly fling about my face with reckless abandon while all hell is breaking loose around be, and while the Lupo .95 does a marvelous job of moving down my stubble, I am still a little afraid quite respectful of it and feel like I need to pay close attention when using it.
Did I mention that I have long admired the Tatara razors ?

Anyway, I am hoping that somebody can remind me that this is all completely subjective and that my mileage in fact varies wildly from everybody else's.
I just need a little confirmation bias.

I also hope that even though this tread is completely meaningless, it may provide a light at the end of a tunnel rabbit hole for some other curious soul one day, and those future curious souls and I will appreciate any meaningful comments that you can make regardless.
Oxymoron intended. (Apologies for playing the fool here, I think I might feel the Holiday season coming on).

Thanks!

A few questions, if I may:

Please describe your skin type (sensitive or not? Tanned leather?), face type (nooks and crannies? Smooth?), beard type (thick vs. sparse, coarse vs. fine) and beard growth patterns (predictable vs. chaotic, fast growing?).

What is your price range?

Thank you. :)

The Tatara Masamune is a premium mild razor & is unlike the GC or the Lupo. Razors similar to the Masamune would be the Feather AS-D2, & mildest Karve & Rockwell plates. Razors such as the Masamune require a narrower range of angle to cut, so your technique will need to maintain that consistent angle.

The .95 Lupo on the other hand is IMHO an aggressive beast (while being impressively smooth) so it will be effective at a wider range of angles. The technique challenge will be to not apply pressure.

I could never get a close shave with the Masamune (I have a thread about it) and the Lupo .95 always gave me irritation. So I would personally steer toward the Nodachi or .72, if I had to stay with Tatara or RR.

I have owned all the Gamechangers, the Masamune, Nodachi, and the Lupo Aluminium (2x) and here's what I think:

- The Masamune is a mild razor that CAN be quite efficient with the right technique and a slightly wider blade like the Nacet or Kai. I don't find the Masamune any less efficient than my WR2 or Timeless Bronze 38. It does have less blade feel, but I like it that way. In efficiency terms, it is more efficient than the GC68 but less so than the GC84.

- The Nodachi is the most aggressive razor I have ever used. More aggressive than the Fatip Grande OC (Mk 2). And it is efficient like hell. But I would NEVER be able to use that thing daily. My neck would look like a cooked lobster shell. If you buy that setup, you have to love AGGRESSIVE razors.

- Both Masamune and Nodachi are more efficient than the Lupo Alu but the Nodachi is less smooth and much more aggressive.

I like mild razors and sharp blade combos and I sold my Nodachi and GC68/84 and kept my Masamune and it is one of my favorite razors to use in my rotation that is loaded with amazing razors (WR2 / Timeless 68SB / Karve CB B / Timeless Bronze 38 SB / Charcoal Everyday / Masamune).

Thanks, does "more refined" mean it is a more comfortable shave or that the razor is more finely made ?
The blade is allot more rigged in the Tatara. It also sings a little (not the blade), which is cool i think. You are comparing two really good razors here, so i think it comes down to personal preference. Both are cnc machined, but the tolerances are tighter in the Tatara.
The handle goes into the base plate locking and aligning the blade.
The Nodachi was a little to efficient for daily use. The Masamune was a little to mild. If you buy directly from Tatara i would get the Masamune handle and top cap and the Nodachi base plate.
This configuration is just as efficient as the Lupo, but smoother.
The Lupo gives you more blade feel. The blade flexes a little more. It is as efficient as the Tatara, but feels more aggressive. It also requires a different shaving angle. The optimum cutting angle for the Tatara is around 24 deg. The lupo is probably around 30 deg.
The Lupo is probably a little easier to use.

- The Nodachi is the most aggressive razor I have ever used. More aggressive than the Fatip Grande OC (Mk 2). And it is efficient like hell. But I would NEVER be able to use that thing daily. My neck would look like a cooked lobster shell. If you buy that setup, you have to love AGGRESSIVE razors.

- Both Masamune and Nodachi are more efficient than the Lupo Alu but the Nodachi is less smooth and much more aggressive.

The Nodachi, with the Nodachi set of base and top plate, is an excellent razor that I enjoy using.
It’s aggressiveness is on par with the 2013 Mühle R41, but provides a smoother and closer shave.

If that sounds too agressive to you, you could combine the Nodachi handle with Masamune base and top plates.
Of course, you also could buy outright a Masamune, but I quite like the longer Nodachi handle. One option on Tatararazor’s website is to ‘Create you own razor’ when clicking on ‘Shop now’.

There is also Tatararazors’ quite pricey Muramasa Adjustable, which as of today is on a 24% ‘Black Weekend’ discount, where you can adjust gap and blade exposure.

Some may not want to use the Nodachi every day, but for me and others who have no problems using an R41 on a daily basis I see absolutely no problem.

Finally two safety razors that can match the best of straight razor results…

B.

Both the Lupo and the Tatara is semi adjustable. You can get both the lupo 0.72 and the 0.95 base plates. The Tatara does allow you to fine tune your razor with the addition of two different top caps and OC base plates. I actually prefer the OC plates on my Tatara. I am not sure if it is noticeable during the shave, but the OC plates clamps the blade even more secure/rigid then the SB. Just be careful or you will end up like me:) The design is still growing on me. Yes, the mini handle is to small. A also find my Nodachi handle a little on the heavy side. The little one to the right is the full Nodachi setup with OC.
20210604_165333.jpg

You have a little more handle options with the lupo. Here is mine with a Timeless titanium handle.
20210531_162155.jpg

A few questions, if I may:

Please describe your skin type (sensitive or not? Tanned leather?), face type (nooks and crannies? Smooth?), beard type (thick vs. sparse, coarse vs. fine) and beard growth patterns (predictable vs. chaotic, fast growing?).

What is your price range?

Thank you. :)
I shave every day and have what I believe to be a fairly coarse, thick and fast growing beard with skin that is mostly smooth and on the soft side but not terribly sensitive (??).
The growth pattern is quite regular N->S, except for the sides of the throat.
Areas of concern for me are below the nose and the crease of the chin below the upper lip, but actual problem areas are the sides of the throat the corners of the mouth and less so, the adams apple.

My price range is ideally <$200. The Razorock options are great value, but I have considered others like the Tatara and Blackland razors.
My aim with DE razors is to have something that works well and is easy to use on autopilot and on off days while I develop my skills with straight razors.

I am really only interested in stainless steel machined razors, but titanium is also something that I would consider trying at a push. Yes I fantasize over the Blackbird Ti (never mind what I wrote about my price range).

I consider the Tatara razors to be a good compromise between quality, price, smoothness and efficiency, but have yet to actually prove that by using one.

Thanks.

Recommendation:
When we talk about a Masamune, we should say if we mean the SB or the OC baseplate. For me at least, the difference is day and night. I haven’t tried a Nodachi.

The Tatara Masamune is a premium mild razor & is unlike the GC or the Lupo. Razors similar to the Masamune would be the Feather AS-D2, & mildest Karve & Rockwell plates. Razors such as the Masamune require a narrower range of angle to cut, so your technique will need to maintain that consistent angle.

The .95 Lupo on the other hand is IMHO an aggressive beast (while being impressively smooth) so it will be effective at a wider range of angles. The technique challenge will be to not apply pressure.

I could never get a close shave with the Masamune (I have a thread about it) and the Lupo .95 always gave me irritation. So I would personally steer toward the Nodachi or .72, if I had to stay with Tatara or RR.
If I understand correctly, you have tried the Masamune and the Lupo .95 but not the Nodachi or Game Changers/Lupo .72 ?

And what would you choose if you didn't have to stay with Tatara/RR ?

By the way, I looked for your tread, but I haven't found it. Yet...

I shave every day and have what I believe to be a fairly coarse, thick and fast growing beard with skin that is mostly smooth and on the soft side but not terribly sensitive (??).
The growth pattern is quite regular N->S, except for the sides of the throat.
Areas of concern for me are below the nose and the crease of the chin below the upper lip, but actual problem areas are the sides of the throat the corners of the mouth and less so, the adams apple.

My price range is ideally <$200. The Razorock options are great value, but I have considered others like the Tatara and Blackland razors.
My aim with DE razors is to have something that works well and is easy to use on autopilot and on off days while I develop my skills with straight razors.

I am really only interested in stainless steel machined razors, but titanium is also something that I would consider trying at a push. Yes I fantasize over the Blackbird Ti (never mind what I wrote about my price range).

I consider the Tatara razors to be a good compromise between quality, price, smoothness and efficiency, but have yet to actually prove that by using one.

Thanks.
I am also considering the TI blackbird, but as i am shaving 95% of the time with a SR i need to sell off some things to justify it.
The Karve razor is also a really nice option. C plate and up in efficiency.

I have owned all the Gamechangers, the Masamune, Nodachi, and the Lupo Aluminium (2x) and here's what I think:

- The Masamune is a mild razor that CAN be quite efficient with the right technique and a slightly wider blade like the Nacet or Kai. I don't find the Masamune any less efficient than my WR2 or Timeless Bronze 38. It does have less blade feel, but I like it that way. In efficiency terms, it is more efficient than the GC68 but less so than the GC84.

I like mild razors and sharp blade combos and I sold my Nodachi and GC68/84 and kept my Masamune and it is one of my favorite razors to use in my rotation that is loaded with amazing razors (WR2 / Timeless 68SB / Karve CB B / Timeless Bronze 38 SB / Charcoal Everyday / Masamune).
Would you say the Masamune is closer to the GC .68 or the GC .84 in efficiency ?

Top Bottom