What's new

Recommended Fragrances under $40

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
More sophisticated folk than I say Acqua di Selva is not what it used to be. I still love it. My daily splash 95% of the time is 4711, well under $40 for 800 ml.

I don’t think I’ve seen these in the thread yet.

Cremo:
Spice & Black Vanilla
Bourbon & Oak
Bergamot & Musk
$20 at Walmart/Target for 100ml

Banana Republic:
Tobacco & Tonka Bean
Dark Cherry & Amber
78 Vintage Green
$20 at Burlington/Ross/Marshall’s/TJ Maxx for 75ml

Last edited:
John Varvatos Artisan, 4.2 oz., $37 (Just acquired this. You still can find this for under $40 on Ebay. It has lovely top notes of orange and herbs, followed by spice and wood notes. Note: I find it has very moderate silage and longevity.)

I like:

1. Guerlain Homme L' Eau Boisee
2. Guerlain L' Instant
3. Genderme (Famous with celebrities)
4. Barberry Coast Kapalua Bay Cologne
5. Barberry Coast Havana Cologne

The Barberry Coast fragrances look interesting, but the price of $59.95 seems high for this thread. Although they advertise as "highly concentrated" Eau de Parfums, so I expect one would use less per application.

Cremo special reserve No. 13 distiller's spice.

I think it's interesting how many of the affordable scents (Brut, for instance) were once at the top of the list for many. I think a scent gets very popular, then suddenly everyone smells like it, then for that very reason it falls to the side, a new scent taking its place. Yet, years later, when it is mostly forgotten, it still has what made it popular in the first place

Yet another I forgot to add:

Genuine Ogallala Bay Rum Cologne Double Strength Special Reserve, 4 oz, $19 (Also available in a "Regular Strength" for $16. Bay Rum scents are in a category of their own. I seldom reach for it, but always enjoy it when I do.) :smile:

Yet another I forgot to add:

Genuine Ogallala Bay Rum Cologne Double Strength Special Reserve, 4 oz, $19 (Also available in a "Regular Strength" for $16. Bay Rum scents are in a category of their own. I seldom reach for it, but always enjoy it when I do.) :smile:
I would love to have a decent selection of Bay Rums available in Europe. My favorite, Dominica isn’t available anymore.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I am completely mad for Dunhill Custom this morning. Bought it 2 weeks ago and today is my second use (and about my 4th or 5th post extolling its virtues). An incredible autumnal scent of apple, incense, and cedar. Less than $30.

Owen Bawn

It looks like it, Bay Rum + 25.00 shipping. Maybe something for Christmans.
Many thanks for the tip, how are the other scents (Lime, 77, etc.)?
The lime is a very good lime with vetiver which seems to prolong the lime's scent. But I imagine some of the posh British barber shop lime colognes are as good and may be cheaper in the EU? The 77 I have but I don't reach for it all that often. The Vetiver, however, is really something special. My only other vetiver is Guerlain, which I love, but if I had to pick one I'd take the St John's. The island spices, the grass and other (cedar? sandalwood?) notes that I'm not sophisticated enough to identify give it a unique scent in my limited experience. I'd hate to steer you wrong. Frags are such individual preferences, and blind buys can prove to be expensive mistakes.

That said, when you factor in shipping and the tendency we all have to splash on bay rums or lime colognes heavily you might consider getting the larger naggins of the St Johns as opposed to the standard 100ml.

Owen Bawn

As a Dunhill fan, Owen, you really should give Icon a try if you haven’t yet.
At some point I probably will buy it... I bought 2 Simpsons brushes and 5 new fragrances (including 2 Dunhills) in October so my credit card needs to rest and heal for a while.

Yet another:

Alt-Innsbruck EdC, 3.4 oz, $35 (My label read "Eau de Cologne," but I hear this has been removed from the label and Alt-Innsbruck is often referred to as an "aftershave," probably because of the menthol contained. In fact, you will probably have to buy this off a shaving product retailer online if you are interested. But I'd say this is of EdC strength. Its main note comes from the flower of the tobacco plant. Overall it has an old-time scent, which I happen to enjoy. I like the square glass bottle it comes in and the labels are easy to peel off and repurpose the bottle). I have to give credit (or blame) to @sarimento1 for a beautiful photo he composed featuring Alt-Innsbruck that compelled me to purchase it.

70BB3B37-C1FB-4265-84F8-5B901A831463.jpeg
00E70356-E61A-4A6A-B7A6-9D50E97BEE6A.jpeg
I can’t match @sarimento1 photos but I like to use it summer especially together with Tabac but only as an AS.

Top Bottom