What's new

My Parker Variant is misaligned

So I've had this razor for about two months now, and I was shaving today and noticed that the blade exposure isn't the same on both sides. I don't know when it happened, I've never dropped it, always align the cap the right way, but it's definitely off by quite a bit. It's been too long for a return, and I've already thrown the box away, so what are my options? Do I contact Parker directly and see what (if anything) they'll do? As it is now, it's not usable in the long term, as the disparity is present no matter how aggressive or mild the setting.

I've got a Slim and Black Beauty to use in the meantime, but still.

Is this an issue with the Merkur Progress?

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm no help. But that stinks. Have you tried the regular stuff, like putting the blade on the top cap, and placing the bottom plate on that, then twisting the handle on?

I assume it's a 3 piece razor? Never owned a Parker...

I'm no help. But that stinks. Have you tried the regular stuff, like putting the blade on the top cap, and placing the bottom plate on that, then twisting the handle on?

I assume it's a 3 piece razor? Never owned a Parker...
Yes, I've tried all of the tricks I've been able to find, but none of them help; one side has a significantly higher blade exposure than the other side. To make things worse, I'm well beyond my return period (just checked, they're not having any of it), and Parker's webpage doesn't even have a direct customer service contact. They simply say to go back to the retailer you purchased it from and seek help there. No kidding, I couldn't believe it! I bought mine from Amazon, and I doubt they're going to be any help.

Guess unless someone has a better solution, I'm going to have to live with it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yes, I've tried all of the tricks I've been able to find, but none of them help; one side has a significantly higher blade exposure than the other side. To make things worse, I'm well beyond my return period (just checked, they're not having any of it), and Parker's webpage doesn't even have a direct customer service contact. They simply say to go back to the retailer you purchased it from and seek help there. No kidding, I couldn't believe it! I bought mine from Amazon, and I doubt they're going to be any help.

Guess unless someone has a better solution, I'm going to have to live with it.
I hope not. I'll betcha a nickel some smart feller on here will be able to help you tomorrow.

I have that issue with my Razorock German 37 slant. Drives me nuts. Folks say it's supposed to do that, but I SWEAR that I can get it line up better sometimes than others.

Current production Merkur Progress would be a far better choice than the variant.

One other option is to just use the side that is more comfortable (lesser blade reveal), if you don't wish to throw out the razor.

Current production Merkur Progress would be a far better choice than the variant.

One other option is to just use the side that is more comfortable (lesser blade reveal), if you don't wish to throw out the razor.
Yeah, that might be my only option, other than getting the Progress. The most blade reveal provides me with the best shave, while the other side, no matter the angle, the blade almost barely touches my skin, let alone cut anything.

The more I think about what you said about the current production Progress, I get to thinking: how do I know I won't end up with an older production model, which could result in a cycle of exchange/returns.

The Parker aligns via the cap, right? Have you looked for casting/plating imperfections there?
If so they might be removed but going through the plating into the Zamak without subsequent sealing will lead to rot as far as I understood….

The Parker aligns via the cap, right? Have you looked for casting/plating imperfections there?
If so they might be removed but going through the plating into the Zamak without subsequent sealing will lead to rot as far as I understood….
No imperfections or burrs anywhere on the cap or the baseplate.

No imperfections or burrs anywhere on the cap or the baseplate.
Ok, as I’m owning a couple of FaTips….
Are the posts misaligned or is one thinner than the other? Does the blade scrape or catch when you put it on the posts? Does the misalignment happen when you put it together or can you see it already when the blade is on the cap?

Ok, as I’m owning a couple of FaTips….
Are the posts misaligned or is one thinner than the other? Does the blade scrape or catch when you put it on the posts? Does the misalignment happen when you put it together or can you see it already when the blade is on the cap?
To tell the truth, I never checked it with the blade just on the cap, only when assembled; I'll check it out.

I will say this: it was bugging me so much that I went and got it and spent 10 minutes messing about with it, and I did notice something interesting: there is a LOT of play in the blade when the cap is attached before tightening. After a few tries of finagling with it, I finally got the blade reveal even on both sides, but what a pain to have to do that every time!

I also took the time to check my other adjustable razors: Fatboy, OK; Slim, OK; Black Beauty, OK. Only the Variant has this issue, but now I just discovered my Black Beauty is squeaking something terrible when opening. It was so loud my wife woke up, LOL! I can't win!

...I went and got it and spent 10 minutes messing about with it, and I did notice something interesting: there is a LOT of play in the blade when the cap is attached before tightening. After a few tries of finagling with it, I finally got the blade reveal even on both sides, but what a pain to have to do that every time!
Buy a Progress replacement cap which will probably fix that problem; the caps are compatible.

As long as the blade is not rotated I would not bother and simply use it as a razor with a milder and more aggressive side which depending your technique can even be handy.

Else you have to figure out if the cap is 90 degrees to the axle and the distance of that caps edge is the same on both sides.

And of course measure from axle hole to the safety bar to make sure that is the same.

But since it is zamak, bending or shaving material of is a recipe for disaster

You could try adding a thin laquer layer to the safety bar or the agressive side raising it slightly but no idea if it will stick and look right.

Using it wrong sided could also solve it (if they screwed that up on the factory).

Bottom line Mark one side clearly agressive and other side milde and use it accordingly.

Yeah, that might be my only option, other than getting the Progress. The most blade reveal provides me with the best shave, while the other side, no matter the angle, the blade almost barely touches my skin, let alone cut anything.

The more I think about what you said about the current production Progress, I get to thinking: how do I know I won't end up with an older production model, which could result in a cycle of exchange/returns.

Current production is since 2016 so unlikely you'll get previous production version.

The current production can also have defects but at a much, much lesser rate than pre-2016...and that can happen with just about any product out there.

Current production is since 2016 so unlikely you'll get previous production version.

The current production can also have defects but at a much, much lesser rate than pre-2016...and that can happen with just about any product out there.
Understood, thanks for the info, I appreciate it! I'll probably pull the trigger on a Progress today. BTW, how's the aggressiveness compared to the Variant?

Reactions: nav
Understood, thanks for the info, I appreciate it! I'll probably pull the trigger on a Progress today. BTW, how's the aggressiveness compared to the Variant?

The variant is just a tad more aggressive than progress, By about 0.5 setting.

They share the same design but the progress shaves better for me.

Try turning it around.

It's possible that it's as simple as the wrong side getting stamped with the arrow.

The stamp has nothing to do with blade reveal. Its only purpose it to calibrate the adjuster so that it zeroes out at the correct spot.

Top Bottom