What's new

Restart, second shave

You are welcome Jack.

Yeah I thought that too, still do. For me, it helps me to relax, helps me to concentrate, gives a little ritual, something to look forward to. I like learning the techniques. And I love retro stuff, and the older ways, and the pop culture of the past, and it all kind of comes together in my mind.

Plus there are some fantastic people you get to know, especially on here. It's a great place.

Just would have preferred to had started when I was 16, not 60.
I had a very bad day.
Till I left the madding crowd and performed my ritual.
Complete Zen afterwards 🙏🏾

Restart, seventh shave.

Excellent shaves, both beard and head.
I did not change the blades and was satisfied with both.
Used my preferred Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite soap again, no pre shave.
What a fantastic soap it is.
Wonder if the MdC wooden cup my wife bought for my birthday can match it.

I must thank my tutors here again for their superb advise to shave with the same razor and blade for 4 weeks. Every starting shaver should take that advice and the benefits it brings to heart.

Thanks, gentlemen 👌👌

Sounds like you're making excellent progress in the journey. And the important thing is that you're enjoying it. That's the only way you'll stick with it over the years. I can tell you even to this day after 17 straight years of DE shaving it's still fun to do.

8th shave.

This 4 week regime is paying off even more with every shave.

Reluctantly, I used the Swede again in both razors. Amazing. Both shaves were excellent. Put some more work in the beard shave and used the J hook (?) technique around my mouth. Flawless.
Decided to do 4 strokes on my head and practiced on the long strokes verses shorter strokes. Still much to discover there, but it feels like a puzzle falling into its place. Really close shave.

Small weeper on the chin, every piece of other skin bloodless.

Seriously: every starting DE shaver should follow the advice my B&B tutors gave me.
It WILL give your technique and joy a boost.

8th shave.

This 4 week regime is paying off even more with every shave.

Reluctantly, I used the Swede again in both razors. Amazing. Both shaves were excellent. Put some more work in the beard shave and used the J hook (?) technique around my mouth. Flawless.
Decided to do 4 strokes on my head and practiced on the long strokes verses shorter strokes. Still much to discover there, but it feels like a puzzle falling into its place. Really close shave.

Small weeper on the chin, every piece of other skin bloodless.

Seriously: every starting DE shaver should follow the advice my B&B tutors gave me.
It WILL give your technique and joy a boost.
9th shave

I did leave the supposed Swedes in my razors.
Very nice shave, zero nicks.
Used the Razorock Plague Doctor and it was better than the first use, weeks ago.
Maybe my lathering is improving, just like the shaving techniques.
Happy.

Tenth shave

Fantastic shave, my technique has developed indeed.
One nick on the back of my head, not clear how and why.
Used the Fine Snake Bite soap again.
And again it is clear this soap is excellent and better than my other soaps.
Used a fresh Gillette Platinum for the beard shave and then loaded it up the DLC for the head shave.

Eleventh shave

Been busy, this shave was performed the day before yesterday.
I made two mistakes.
Wanting to find out how many shaves the Swede could give, I took the blade from my Muehle R41.
The beard shave it had performed was good.
Obviously, I took a risk with this blade for my head shave.
I shouldn't have done it. I cut myself twive, but blamed it on my poor technique. Than I loosened the cap to clean the blade under the tap. It was then I made my second mistake. I didn't screw the cap on tight. Two more cuts.
After this I took a fresh blade and had a wonderfull shave.
I am going to use a standard routine as of now.
I will only use my blades for the head shave twice, and for the beard shave 4 times.
Curious how other blades will perform.

I've wet shaved for 55+ years now, and used a lot of razors, soap and blades in that time.
If I may offer some thoughts on a blade choice (because my skin is old too)...Gillette Minora stainless (yellow packet), or (and I have just started using these over the last few weeks)...Silver Star. These are both nice 'gentle' blades.
I do have the usual (normal?) collection of 100's (1500+) of blades from Feathers, and Kai to Astra, and all the Russian Gillettes (love them all with extra affection for the Rubies). But you don't want to be chasing lots of blade choices at the moment.
So I'm offering my thoughts from my own observation and uses...if you can, do try the Minora stainless. Might be the only blade you ever buy after that.
All the best to you and I hope you continue on this great journey for many years to come.

Last edited:
Restart, 6th shave.

Beard shave was quite good, a small weeper close to my Adams' Apple. Need to work on shaving the flappy old skin in that area.

Headshave was excellent, pool ball. Getting used to longer passes. Forgot my urge to get BBS with my usual one stroke (atg). WTG and XTG give me excellent result, with much less skin damage.

Used the compulsory same razors, Meuhle R41 and DLC Yaqi and the Gillette Platinum.
I changed the soap. Two shaves with the Razorock xxx turned out unsatisfactory, even after the advice I got. Gave the Hasslinger Schafmilch a chance. It was good, especially for my skin after the shave. Did not glide as good as the Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite, though.

Overall very satisfied with my improving technique.
Jack is that the new or old fine snake bite? Old is a hard puck new one should be softer. Both should be good.
If it is the old one big chance you will like tabac or real Dutch vergulde hand extra fris (old fine is marginal better). And of course give scheermonnik a try

Jack is that the new or old fine snake bite? Old is a hard puck new one should be softer. Both should be good.
If it is the old one big chance you will like tabac or real Dutch vergulde hand extra fris (old fine is marginal better). And of course give scheermonnik a try
It is the new Snake Bite.
I will try Scheermonnik, but have so much other soaps on my list.
Gladjakkers is one of them.
Maybe the folk from Scheermonnik will send me some samples if they would like me to try their soap.
Tabac... I dislike the scent.
Vergulde hand is a nice soap, I am currently converting a bar to a menthol bomb.

I've wet shaved for 55+ years now, and used a lot of razors, soap and blades in that time.
If I may offer some thoughts on a blade choice (because my skin is old too)...Gillette Minora stainless (yellow packet), or (and I have just started using these over the last few weeks)...Silver Star. These are both nice 'gentle' blades.
I do have the usual (normal?) collection of 100's (1500+) of blades from Feathers, and Kai to Astra, and all the Russian Gillettes (love them all with extra affection for the Rubies). But you don't want to be chasing lots of blade choices at the moment.
So I'm offering my thoughts from my own observation and uses...if you can, do try the Minora stainless. Might be the only blade you ever buy after that.
All the best to you and I hope you continue on this great journey for many years to come.
Thank you for the advice.
I have never heard of the Minoras 🤷🏽‍♀️

Forgot I'm on restraint. Schiermonnik should not, I repeat: not send me samples 😸☝🏽

I see there are two Minoras. Which one did you advise?

The Minora in the yellow pack are the new stainless.
https://www.razorbladesclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/minora_stainless_packet.jpg
The Minora in the purple pack are the older model (with Platinum). My skin does not like the Platinum blades (you might?).
https://www.razorbladesclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Gillette_Minora.jpg
Silver Star are like this.
https://www.razorbladesclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Silver_Star.jpg
Thought so.
I will try them after the GRUME.
Thank you for the brotherly advice 🙏🏾

Twelth shave with same kit.

My technique keeps improving 💪🏼
Used a fresh blade for the beard shave.
Small nick, I wonder if that is because of the new Swede blade?
Does anybody know if it is common when a new blade underperforms the first strokes?
The blade was just fine when I loaded the DLC Yaqi with it for the head shave,
Used the Plague Doctor soap again, after reading enthusiastic posts.
My initial experience must have been down to lack of technique, because this time the soap gave an excellent performance.

I am now two shaves from completing my 4 weeks of using the same blade and razors.
Surprisingly, I am considering extending this regime.
I don't feel the pressing urge to try everything, like a young dog, running around, anymore.
But I do long for improving my technique even further.
Who would have thought.

Thirteenth shave.

Nearing the end of my 4 weeks regime of shaving with the same razors and blade.
This time I used the Haslinger Schafsmilch soap again, with my experiences with the Plague Doctor in mind. I used that soap before and didn't think much of it. Thanks to @Marco I tried the Plague Doctor again, and because of my apparent improved lathering technique that soap turned out to be very good.
Same thing happened using the Haslinger. I must say it was incredible. Perfect lather, great shave and wonderful, wonderful post shave feel. I was still enjoying this feel hours after the shave.

Funny thing happened during this session and I broke the rules slightly.
During the head shave, the DLC Yaqi was clotting with the Schafsmilch. This annoyed me, so when performing the third stroke I picked up my Muehle R41, because it had not clotted during the beard shave.
And oh boy, this gave me an extremely good BBS on the head. I plan to use the DLC Yaqi for the beard shave after the next shave, while using the R41 for my head shave. I will load the Swede in both, thus sort of extending the 4 weeks. Exiting!

I think you can understand I am looking forward, really looking forward to lathering the Haslinger Schafsmilch.....

Fourteenth and final shave in the series.

Rather uneventful. Same routine as the last shave.

Used the Schafsmilch again and did some experimenting with the lather, but concluded that my previous technique provided the best results.

Although the DLC Yaqi seemed to have less clotting issues, I used the R41 for the last stroke again. When used correctly, this razor is not as creepy as its reputation suggests. I would go as far to conclude that it is easier than the DLC. Less nicks, faster strokes.
The R41 gives me issues around my Adams apple, due to the loose skin. This will be the case with most, if not all razors. It is difficult to stretch the skin down there with my left hand, because the lather makes the area slippery. I will ask how to deal with this issue on the forum later.

Well, I am free to use whatever combination of razors and blades as of now again. I guess it might be a good idea to write a topic about my experience with using the same blade and razor(s), so that other newbs can benefit.

Fourteenth and final shave in the series.

Rather uneventful. Same routine as the last shave.

Used the Schafsmilch again and did some experimenting with the lather, but concluded that my previous technique provided the best results.

Although the DLC Yaqi seemed to have less clotting issues, I used the R41 for the last stroke again. When used correctly, this razor is not as creepy as its reputation suggests. I would go as far to conclude that it is easier than the DLC. Less nicks, faster strokes.
The R41 gives me issues around my Adams apple, due to the loose skin. This will be the case with most, if not all razors. It is difficult to stretch the skin down there with my left hand, because the lather makes the area slippery. I will ask how to deal with this issue on the forum later.

Well, I am free to use whatever combination of razors and blades as of now again. I guess it might be a good idea to write a topic about my experience with using the same blade and razor(s), so that other newbs can benefit.
On stretching the skin…
You can try a small washcloth either to clean the area of excess lather or to stretch the skin itself. Alternatively rub the fingers of your left hand on alum to give them more grip.

Top Bottom