What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

And pinned. Sorry about the crappy shed lighting. It's either very soft or the harsh darts LEDs!

20211105_212317.jpg

Nice looking scales Jon. How thick are your scales and how do they strop?

I find a narrower scale at the pivot are easier to strop, also thinner is better, but you can only get wood so thin.

Nice work as are all your scales.

Nice looking scales Jon. How thick are your scales and how do they strop?

I find a narrower scale at the pivot are easier to strop, also thinner is better, but you can only get wood so thin.

Nice work as are all your scales.
Thank you very much! Those suckers are genuinely dainty. Just about 1/10 of an inch thick and 3/8 wide at the pivot pin.

Haven't stropped her yet, but it just took a beautiful, narrow bevel in about 5 minutes (Shapton 1000).

While finishing up a pair of scales for a Joseph Rodgers 13/16 near wedge (closest), I decided to rough out replacement scales for my John Heiffor 5/8 near wedge in black horn (middle) and Joseph Elliot 7/8 near wedge in blond horn (far).

1636234086261.png

While doing so, I caught myself with the coping saw a couple of times. Good news that my tetanus shot is up to date.

1636234273611.png

I am definitely getting faster/more efficient at making scales. For the Joseph Rodgers, I used a 4-in-1 rasp and cabinet scraper before the sandpaper to round/dome the tops - saved a lot of time.

While finishing up a pair of scales for a Joseph Rodgers 13/16 near wedge (closest), I decided to rough out replacement scales for my John Heiffor 5/8 near wedge in black horn (middle) and Joseph Elliot 7/8 near wedge in blond horn (far).

View attachment 1358626

While doing so, I caught myself with the coping saw a couple of times. Good news that my tetanus shot is up to date.

View attachment 1358628

I am definitely getting faster/more efficient at making scales. For the Joseph Rodgers, I used a 4-in-1 rasp and cabinet scraper before the sandpaper to round/dome the tops - saved a lot of time.
Frank Lacerates!

I cleaned up this Veritable Dumas & Cie that arrived two days ago.
I just brigthen some of the darker spots without erasing the nice patina completely.

The model seems to be rare as the typical #32 stamp for Dumas is missing and I was not able to find another one that looked like this (wedge grind with barbers notch, #32 missing).
Possibly dates around 1890.

After the cleanup it took a wonderful edge and provided a nice shave.

PSX_20211107_212238.jpg
PSX_20211107_212220.jpg
PSX_20211107_212155.jpg
PSX_20211107_212142.jpg

It was on my bench a few minutes ago. I was cutting out leather for a lifetime supply of pasted bench strops:
F2331D47-652D-4828-955F-2F8A37117126.jpeg

About 3" to 3 5/16". I plan to try out some traditional pastes, maybe some plain old green polishing compound too. I have one dried out vintage paste sample I may try to revive.

Razors and knives. I doubt I will decide to replace my diamond pasted balsa, but I'm a sucker for trying out the old ways. Cheap thrills.

I cleaned up this Veritable Dumas & Cie that arrived two days ago.
I just brigthen some of the darker spots without erasing the nice patina completely.

The model seems to be rare as the typical #32 stamp for Dumas is missing and I was not able to find another one that looked like this (wedge grind with barbers notch, #32 missing).
Possibly dates around 1890.

After the cleanup it took a wonderful edge and provided a nice shave.

View attachment 1359091View attachment 1359092View attachment 1359093View attachment 1359094
Very nice!

Finally finished the scales for a Joseph Rodgers 13/16 near wedge. After the seller told me the scales were original, the razor arrived in cheap plastic scales with the distinctive Joseph Rodgers pointed ends.

I am definitely getting better and faster at making scales. This time I used a 4-in-1 rasp and cabinet scraper to shape the tops. This set is thinner and tops are more domed than my previous sets.

An original Joseph Rodgers scale on the left with the new pair on the right. Wedge is camel bone.

1636676706005.png

New scales with the blade. Black scales are hard to photograph.

1636676904331.png

timwcic

"Look what I found"
What did I do now?!?! Like most of my predicaments, this started at the flea market. Shopping with a new seller, looking around I see these white knife looking thing. “What are these” I ask and told they are letter openers. That peeked my interest and ask what are they made of and told bone. Now the scale lightbulb goes off and ask how much would he like for two? Told they are a close out and $1 each. As a start looking at then closer, I am told they also have the same thing in black horn. I look at them, they are black and some with white streaks. Holy Crap On A Cracker, Scale-a-palooza. Now the bundle bee comes out and ask if I buy them all, what can you do? We count out 42 mixed and we agree on $25, I am a happy camper. The bone have a bad laser etch that will wet sand right off and the black are ready to go. Off to the box of worthy SR and pick out some heavy Sheffield steel and wedges. All have good steel but scales are in Distress. It’s been a while since some restro’s, this should keep be busy for the winter

A613ED2E-6056-4CB7-B49D-2D530E63387C.jpeg
3F3CCA13-A9BC-4836-B067-39944A70562F.jpeg
940F6289-5AB7-4AE8-8A91-5703E7B71C1D.jpeg

@timwcic, as the waiter in the diner once said, "You did extremely well, Sir!"

Nice blades! What does this one say? Looks like a Magnum Bonum, but I am not convinced that that is what the lettering says.

1637152456478.png

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Thanks @Frank Shaves It etched Best India Steel

Tried these bone thing’s on a Thomas Scargill Stub Tail with a high spine. Stuff is hard and I forgot how bad bone smells cutting and sanding. Roughed out the shape and used black horn for a wedge. Need to do some fine tuning and bring thickness down to around .075 for a thin feel. Going in the right direction for first restro in years

14E5B7FC-EE08-4A5D-9DD6-EACB6F11628E.jpeg

I just received what has to be my oldest razor to date. WARRANTED TO SHAVE WELL on spine face and PATENT TEMPERED STEEL on fat rusty tang. It actually seems in restorable condition but going to be a pretty decent challenge. Any one know about this old dog?

20211119_224620.jpg

Top Bottom