What's new

12 Blades You Need To Try

In August began a journey to find a non-Gillette replacement for Astra SP. I have 100 left so that leaves two years minimum to find one or two that should fill the bill.
I have landed on Astra SPs as being the best blade for me. Are you looking for a replacement out of curiosity or is there some change in production prompting this search?

One way I have considered finding a comparable blade is to use the charts here: What Is The Best Razor Blade? The Science Of Sharpness | Sharpologist - https://sharpologist.com/the-science-of-blade-sharpness/

Interesting list @Kennyg2019

Three of those (Feather, Astra Platinum, and Wilkinson Sword) are in my top 5, and the Israeli Personna Platinum is a very near miss for that group. My other two are Gillette Sharpedge and Derby Premium.
Thanks. I really like the Gillette 7 O'Clock series blades as well...the Yellow (SharpEdge), the Green (PermaSharp), and the Black (Super Platinum) which is my favorite (I used it today!). Definitely could be in the super starter pack as well. Lots of guys love 'em. 👍🏻

You left out BIC Chrome Platinum! Smooth and retains its sharpness better than most.
Indeed, I have been using BIC CP almost exclusively on my face and melon lately. My hair is thick and course so *once my technique improved* I went back to the sharpest blades I could find. Before I knew what I was doing I started with Feathers of course. I started with the sharpest since I am an expert at everything instantly you see. Days later I found Astra SP more suitable because I appeared as if my new hobby was juggling feral cats and not fine wet shaving.

Now Astra feels quite dull in comparison to BIC's. BIC's last longer and are cheaper then feathers and I rarely cut myself.

Indeed, I have been using BIC CP almost exclusively on my face and melon lately. My hair is thick and course so *once my technique improved* I went back to the sharpest blades I could find. Before I knew what I was doing I started with Feathers of course. I started with the sharpest since I am an expert at everything instantly you see. Days later I found Astra SP more suitable because I appeared as if my new hobby was juggling feral cats and not fine wet shaving.

Now Astra feels quite dull in comparison to BIC's. BIC's last longer and are cheaper then feathers and I rarely cut myself.
Definitely missed a few, including BIC Chrome Platinum, which could easily be added without making the list unwieldy.

Fantastic list. I haven't tried the king gillettes, the only one I didn't care for is voskhod. So many lord blades if just picking the most popular one Lord platinum and silver star are probably it, but I do find other lord blades to be better.
Thanks. It's funny...I think you and I are probably the only ones around here not in love with Voshkod! 😂 I tried them three or four times, and they felt really rough on my (sensitive) skin. But, a LOT of guys consider it the best blade in their den, so it has to be on this list. I only tried one Lord blade (the Platinum). I can't even remember it, but because so many guys love them, I ordered some more to give them another try.

I have landed on Astra SPs as being the best blade for me. Are you looking for a replacement out of curiosity or is there some change in production prompting this search?

One way I have considered finding a comparable blade is to use the charts here: What Is The Best Razor Blade? The Science Of Sharpness | Sharpologist - https://sharpologist.com/the-science-of-blade-sharpness/
No change, still a fine very versatile blade. Just looking to diversify. Needed to give my neck a break so changed out to a Treet DuraSharp Yellow. The only blade I've bought 100 of so far. Seems in the same realm of smooth but gives up a closer shave and I can get about a week from a blade.

Will check out your suggestion. Thank you.

+2

Yes, that's an excellent baseline list for trying new blades, especially for us new DE shavers. Appreciated :)
No problem, Alum! Start with this list (as well as the 3 or 4 others mentioned) and, believe me, you’ll find a winner…probably more than one! If I were selling these as a Sample Pack, it would come with a money-back guarantee!😀

Revised List...aka The Best Sample Pack made even better! ;)

Polsilver 🇵🇱->🇷🇺
Feather 🇯🇵
Gillette Silver Blue 🇷🇺
Nacet 🇷🇺
Gillette 7 O'Clock (Green, Yellow, or Black) 🇷🇺
Astra SP 🇨🇿
Voshkod 🇷🇺
Wilkinson Sword 🇮🇳🇩🇪
Personna (Israeli) Red 🇮🇱
Personna Lab 🇺🇸
BIC Chrome Platinum 🇬🇷
Kai 🇯🇵

Also...
Perma-Sharp 🇷🇺
Lord Platinum 🇪🇬
Rapira Platinum Lux 🇷🇺
King C. Gillette 🇷🇺
Personna Med Prep 🇺🇸
Gillette Platinum 🇷🇺

We're still under 20! :)

There are thousands of DE blades out there. But there are some that should be "required reading" for anyone serious about wet shaving. I'm willing to bet you will like at least one of the following because they are on most guys Top 5:

Polsilver
Feather
Gillette Silver Blue
Nacet
Astra SP
Voshkod
Wilkinson Sword (Germany or India)
Personna (Israeli) Red
Personna Lab
Lord Platinum
Rapira Platinum Lux
King C. Gillette

Newbies, you can thank me later! ;)

Unless I missed it, no one has mentioned KAIs. Definitely on my top 5 list, maybe #1, especially in my Fatip OC Slant.

Another candidate is Ladas. Nowhere near as sharp as, say, GSBs but the shaves are pleasant and comfortable.

I agree with many of the OPs choices but to be contraversial I need to mention Shark Super Chrome and Dorco Titan. Both blades good for one or two comfortable shaves

It's funny...I think you and I are probably the only ones around here not in love with Voshkod! 😂 I tried them three or four times, and they felt really rough on my (sensitive) skin. But, a LOT of guys consider it the best blade in their den, so it has to be on this list.
This might be explained by inconsistent QC, a known issue with Voskhod. I had a couple of tucks that shaved quite nice; bought a 100 pack based on this experience, and the entire lot of 100 was so rough as to be unusable. I'm not alone in this experience; see this thread Voskhod consistency/QC - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/voskhod-consistency-qc.600221/

When they're good, Voskhods shave well for me, but I'm not willing to roll the dice on them when there are plenty of reliably good blades available, like the rest of those on your list. Great list, BTW.

This might be explained by inconsistent QC, a known issue with Voskhod. I had a couple of tucks that shaved quite nice; bought a 100 pack based on this experience, and the entire lot of 100 was so rough as to be unusable. I'm not alone in this experience; see this thread Voskhod consistency/QC - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/voskhod-consistency-qc.600221/

When they're good, Voskhods shave well for me, but I'm not willing to roll the dice on them when there are plenty of reliably good blades available, like the rest of those on your list. Great list, BTW.
I replaced my Voskhods with Chinese Wikis from 2016. They shave similar and last longer. Still available and cheap!

Fantastic list. I haven't tried the king gillettes, the only one I didn't care for is voskhod. So many lord blades if just picking the most popular one Lord platinum and silver star are probably it, but I do find other lord blades to be better.

Thanks. It's funny...I think you and I are probably the only ones around here not in love with Voshkod! 😂 I tried them three or four times, and they felt really rough on my (sensitive) skin. But, a LOT of guys consider it the best blade in their den, so it has to be on this list. I only tried one Lord blade (the Platinum). I can't even remember it, but because so many guys love them, I ordered some more to give them another try.
You are not alone. Voskhod blades do not plug and play for me. I have also purchased more than one group of 100. If the factory closed it would not hurt my feelings!

Very nice starting list.

Top Bottom