What's new

Confused by my first GEM shave

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I jumped with both feet into GEMs, as they are so inexpensive on that auction site, although I think your chances of a better razor are when they come up on the BSTs. I bought a 1912 and after receiving it, found that one of the blade blocks was missing! It was in the listing photo, but not pointed out, so I have learned to look closely at the photos.
View attachment 1358036
It’s on the left side. I am not brave enough to try shaving with it! A great friend on another forum gifted me the GEM Jr, which is very closely related to the 1912 (I think. GEM history confuses me at times!).
I have an MMOC just like that, didn't notice it in the picture either. But as you said, they are so cheap I just got another one rather than try to fix it!

doug

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I’ve found that I do much better with the first two shaves on a blade in the flying wing. After that I end up needing to do too many touch up passes and buffing which don’t agree with my skin.

On another note, I just finished up my inaugural shave with my 1912. Blade had two previous shaves in the flying wing. Noticeably more efficient than the flying wing and quite smooth. Really great shaver!
One tip that I have heard is to do just that, use your Bullet Tip to "break-in" the fresh blade, then transfer it to your 1912 for the rest of the shaves. I have an MMOC that can be very harsh with a new blade, but really settles down once it has a few shaves on it.

There are also quite a few unscented soaps out there that might not leave your face with that stinging feeling as well. One thing you can try is to just lather up then rinse without shaving to see if it is the ingredients in the soap that is causing the irritation.

doug

I have an MMOC just like that, didn't notice it in the picture either. But as you said, they are so cheap I just got another one rather than try to fix it!

doug
Doug, that is exactly what I did, too! Ended up finding a really nice one, the GEM Jr, that was about the same price.

One tip that I have heard is to do just that, use your Bullet Tip to "break-in" the fresh blade, then transfer it to your 1912 for the rest of the shaves. I have an MMOC that can be very harsh with a new blade, but really settles down once it has a few shaves on it.

There are also quite a few unscented soaps out there that might not leave your face with that stinging feeling as well. One thing you can try is to just lather up then rinse without shaving to see if it is the ingredients in the soap that is causing the irritation.

doug
What he said finger.jpg

I jumped with both feet into GEMs, as they are so inexpensive on that auction site, although I think your chances of a better razor are when they come up on the BSTs. I bought a 1912 and after receiving it, found that one of the blade blocks was missing! It was in the listing photo, but not pointed out, so I have learned to look closely at the photos.
View attachment 1358036
It’s on the left side. I am not brave enough to try shaving with it! A great friend on another forum gifted me the GEM Jr, which is very closely related to the 1912 (I think. GEM history confuses me at times!).
Is their any way you can use a 2 part epoxy like (JB Weld) to make some sort of blade stop as an experiment to try to make it safe to use?

Is their any way you can use a 2 part epoxy like (JB Weld) to make some sort of blade stop as an experiment to try to make it safe to use?
Probably? I am all thumbs when it comes to being a "fixer upper" :thumbdown so I can't say. I sent it along to a friend who has more skills in that area!

I’m pretty sure they sent you carbon steel GEMs. I have some GEM carbons and they also say GEM on one side and are blank on the other.
I think you should hold all judgements until you get some proper GEM (Personna) PTFE blades.
Razor Emporium is notorious for send something different than what you order.

Top Bottom