What's new

There can be only one

I had maybe 10 different shaving soaps and creams in rotation, until about 18 months ago when I decided to buy no more, to just use up what I had and clean up my shelf.

For a long time very little changed, each day each seemed as full as the last.

Then one by one, all around the same time, I’d see a tiny ring of death appear at the bottom of each tub, and then to grow.

I’d finish one soap, then another and another.

As Each soap was finished so the remaining soaps would see more use until, ever faster, and with a great crescendo, each soap was done.

Finally I’m down to my last one.

It’s my glass jar of Tabac. It’s the last man standing, the warrior that outlasted everything else.

But now that it’s my only soap it’s days are numbered. There are no off days, no friends left to share the load, it will get hit hard every single day.

If it sees me through Christmas I’ll be lucky.

It was hard work getting through all those soaps and it was strangely satisfying when each one was done. I feel almost as if I’ve lost a lot of weight.

I’m going to keep to this minimalist one soap deal for a while.

I don’t know what my next soap will be until I’ve used the Tabac up, but it will be my only one.

I have 2 brushes, 8 straight razors and 4 natural finishing stones also in rotation, I love them all, but this trimming of the fat feels good.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I got two 12 packs of Arko so I’m set. Also a few Razorock sticks. I have a few soaps but no longer use them. Most of my straight razors don’t get used. I’ll rotate razors every couple of weeks but only my favorites. Minimalism feels like a good clean shave.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I too am on a soap/cream sabbatical. Unfortunately, based on my current inventory and usage rate, it may be 10 years before I can purchase another! I think my soaps/creams may outlive me.
Oh, I know mine will.

But it's mostly Arko, so I'm not going to put it in my Will.

My Lovely WD likes the smell, so I will tell her tomorrow to use it as a bath soap.

Hey! Maybe I should wrap them up.... give 'em to her for Christmas doggone! Save me some money on presents! More for me to buy vintage Avon aftershave lotions!

Yes, all y'all's is right: I'm so bright my Mom calls me "Sunny!"

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I got two 12 packs of Arko so I’m set. Also a few Razorock sticks. I have a few soaps but no longer use them. Most of my straight razors don’t get used. I’ll rotate razors every couple of weeks but only my favorites. Minimalism feels like a good clean shave.
How do you like the RR sticks? Never tried 'em. May have to see if I can find a "Cyber Monday" sale.....!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
How do you like the RR sticks? Never tried 'em. May have to see if I can find a "Cyber Monday" sale.....!
They are double or triple milled soap. Pleasant scent but I prefer the softness of Arko but don’t get me wrong, Roaorock sticks are excellent. They may last forever even. I like them better than La Troja. The biggest problem is that they are a bit too large to fit into a West Coast twist up tube. A friend sent me four differently scented sticks and I will use them for sure.

So have you decided what soap you'll get next? Congratulations, by the way, for your revelation!
No, I haven’t decided yet, I’ve been hammering this jar of Tabac daily for the last couple of weeks and it seems as close to an everlasting gobstopper as shaving soap gets.
I’ve also turned my eye to using up my aftershaves, I haven’t bought one in about 18 months. One by one they disappear from my rotation and the ones left take more and more use. Im finally down to the last dregs of Floyd Vigoroso and DR Harris Sandalwood then I’m done. Im thinking I may get a matching soap and aftershave, any suggestions?

I can relate strongly, I'm tempted to get the kilo of Cella and go back to trying aftershaves after 30 years away from them. Haven't quite given up on the 'perfect scented soap' quest yet. I salute your willpower.

I finally broke through the base of my last remaining soap, my jar of Tabac.
I made first contact with the bottom of the white glass jar yesterday and the hole widened quite a lot this morning.
If I get this week out of it I’ll be lucky.
This puts me in a very unusual position - To buy a tub of shaving soap because I actually NEED one.
It’s a nice feeling.
I have been in this position only once before and that was when I started proper shaving about 4 years ago.
Since that day I, like most always bought more long before I would’ve needed them.
I experimented to find what I liked, different brands, soaps, creams, scents etc.
But little by little I’ve cleaned up my act and it’s finally time once again to go shopping and this time I feel it’s deserved.
My favourite cologne at the minute is Trumpers Sandalwwod. I have the skinfood too which I use as preshave, so yesterday I ordered a tub of their soap.
With delivery it was just under £22 which is on the expensive side for me for a soap, but as I actually need it and have no others it make sense to pay a little extra for a good product which I think I’ll like.

I used up, sold and gave away all soaps and have been a 1 soap at a time shaver, for about 3y now. I buy my next one locally (Proraso Blue Cream) or Amazon, when the current one is close to being done.

I've actually run out and not had the next soap/cream on hand and had to hit up a drug store to buy some Proraso Green Cream, in order to shave.

It's a good feeling. No rotating, no hoarding, no dialling in.

Congrats!

Last edited:
Top Bottom