What's new

You can win a FREE Captain's Choice coffee mug - step right up!

They are already on the way to the winners since we wanted you to have them as soon as possible. As it turns out we had two choices for shipping by Air. I was wondering if you knew which we chose...

Well, that certainly explains the "whistling ordinance" sound I heard about ten minutes ago and the impact crater I saw shortly thereafter in the backyard.... :eek2:

You must really be putting these coffee mugs to the stress test!

Are You sure it's not more like this??
giphy.gif

or
thats-one-big-paper-airplane.gif

Sure.. I'm in. I use a mug every day and would be happy to provide some feedback.

Damn.. Replied before reading the entire thread.. I'm a day late and a mug short.

It is a beautiful mug. 16 Oz is a nice size. Great as a coffee mug or beer stein. I don't care the logo is a bit off center. I like the bottom is bigger than the top. It won't fall over easy. At $23.95 I think it is a good price. I would buy one for myself or as a gift. I don't know as a shaving mug. I think it's a bit too narrow on the top. Thanks again.

Okay I got my coffee mug today and here are my initial thoughts.

1. I like the bottom being being larger than the top , it will make the mug more sturdy..

2. The bottom of the mug had a chip in it when I got it so I don't know if the mugs need to maybe have some type of finish on them

3. The "thumb indentions" don't really make a difference to me.

4. The BIG problem !! The handle for the mug is way to small.. I do Not have big hands and I can barely fit 2 fingers in the handle opening to hold the mug..

I have not used the mug yet so these are just initial observations from just opening the box and taking it out.
I do think it is a nice mug and the shipping was very fast .
I would probably get one of the mugs for either myself or as a gift if I were to be purchasing it.
After I use it I shall write more about this mug.

Since I cant edit my previous post I thought I would make another post.. On point 2 I meant it to say I was curious if the bottom of the mug should have some type of finish on the bottom..

Last edited:
Those are finished the same as our lather bowls which is the bottom is left natural rather than glazed.
Sorry , No offense intended..
I just noticed some minor chipping which was why I mentioned it....
I also wish to ask you a question , why are there swirls like in a shaving bowl inside at the bottom of the mug is it just for show or is it supposed to actually have a purpose ?

Also to add to my previous thoughts.

5. I like the size.

6. I like the color.

Sorry , No offense intended..
I just noticed some minor chipping which was why I mentioned it....
I also wish to ask you a question , why are there swirls like in a shaving bowl inside at the bottom of the mug is it just for show or is it supposed to actually have a purpose ?

Also to add to my previous thoughts.

5. I like the size.

6. I like the color.

Heavens, no offense even slightly taken. These were prototypes and yet even production mugs may have some slight differences in the bottom. Mainly the variable is the clay itself. Porcelain is very fine grained and delivers a smooth finish. It is also more expensive and used for a higher end product. Typically craftsman-made mugs and bowls, etc are made from a more standard clay that has a coarser nature to it which is what you see here.

The swirls - good eye! They serve no purpose other than visual interest and to illustrate these are made by hand. Here is why: There is a faltering version of our lather bowl that was copied and knocked off overseas. We now incorporate features into our lather bowls and mugs and copper bowls that make them very, very difficult to knock off in a factory overseas. Our store now illustrates that an artisan makes each piece by hand - there are a number of pictures under each listing. So there is competitive intent behind how our products look and how we present them to our customers in the store. We are defending our design against copies and hey, the swirls make it fun!

Last edited:
Heavens, no offense even slightly taken. These were prototypes and yet even production mugs may have some slight differences in the bottom. Mainly the variable is the clay itself. Porcelain is very fine grained and delivers a smooth finish. It is also more expensive and used for a higher end product. Typically craftsman-made mugs and bowls, etc are made from a more standard clay that has a coarser nature to it which is what you see here.

The swirls - good eye! They serve no purpose other than visual interest and to illustrate these are made by hand. Here is why: There is a faltering version of our lather bowl that was copied and knocked off overseas. We now incorporate features into our lather bowls and mugs and copper bowls that make them very, very difficult to knock off in a factory overseas. Our store now illustrates that each piece is made by an artisan by hand - there are a number of pictures under each listing. So there is competitive intent behind how our products look and how we present them to our customers in the store. We are defending our design against copies and hey, the swirls make it fun!
I liked the swirls. It does add to the handmade sense of it.

Hey Captain,

Mug arrived today and I have a few observations.

1. I saw you mentioned that these are prototype. There are some "quality" issues that I noticed that hopefully reflect that this is not a production mug and would not otherwise appear.
  • There is quite a bit of pitting and pinholes in the glaze on both the interior and exterior of the mug. The glaze is uneven on the side near the bottom, some areas the glaze covers nearly all the way to the bottom, other sections have 1/8" or more unglazed along the side.
  • The Captain's Choice logo on the side of the mug is askew/rotated.
  • The bottom of the mug does not sit flat so the mug "rocks" on my desk or on a coaster.
  • The handle appears to have been added as an "afterthought" and does not reflect a quality product.
2. As far as usability:
  • l like the height. weight and depth of the mug. The rim is well designed and it is easy to drink from.
  • The handle is difficult to use. The two indentations at the top don't serve any function other than to create a ridge in the middle that is not a comfortable resting place for my thumb. While I can comfortably fit three fingers in the handle, my little finger does not fit and must rest outside of the handle. However, the handle is long from top to bottom. It seems that the weight and design of the bottom pushes the bottom of the mug out towards the handle so there is pressure against the the middle of that finger between the top and the inner side where it rests on the handle. That is not comfortable at all.
  • Suggestions for the handle would be a subtle downward slope across the entire top of the handle in lieu of the indentations and a handle that either allows three average fingers inside and then immediately turns into the mug so the little finger fits under the handle and against the mug, or a handle that allows all four fingers inside.
3. As far as appearance (other than quality noted above):
  • The color is handsome. If it is workable, may I suggest offering the mug in the same colors that you offer your shaving bowls? That provides a variety of colors and for those who are more "obsessive-compulsive" they can order a matching set for their morning shave/coffee routine!
  • I like the tankard style, it is in keeping with the nautical theme.
  • With the size of the mug, I'd consider making the logo larger by perhaps 50%. It seems small in scale placed on a mug of that size.
4. Purchasing?
  • Sorry to say, even if the quality issues noted in my first paragraph were all absent, the handle just doesn't work for me at all. So I would not buy one for myself as it is currently designed, nor would I purchase one for someone else for that same reason.
I've attached a few photos of the handle which may give you a better idea of my feedback on that component of the mug. While I realize my feedback was not particularly complimentary on a number of aspects of the product, I hope that it will be helpful nonetheless!

20210904_172041 - Copy.jpg

20210904_172012 - Copy.jpg

20210904_171944 - Copy.jpg

That's right, we are giving away five of these in order to collect feedback. These are hand made by a local potter one at a time. This is CONUS only please due to shipping expense. Thank you for understanding.

Please come back to this thread and share what you think. You aren't going to hurt our feelings - it helps us the most if you are candid and up front with your opinions.

Here is what we are looking for:

1. In general, how do you like it? Size (16 ounces), color, style, weight.
2. Specifically, how does the thumb rest feel? In use, is it helpful where the indents are located? Or do you wish there was just one indent on the top of the handle in the middle?
3. These will retail for around $23.95. Would you buy one for yourself? Would you buy one to give away as a gift?
4. How can it be made better? Larger? Smaller? Different color? What would you like to change about it?

Here is how you enter to have a chance at one of these: Just say, "I'm in." This will run several days and then I will have random.org select the five winners from all of the entries. Thanks to each of you and good luck!

Some pics of what you have a chance to win:

View attachment 1317290
View attachment 1317291
proxy.php

Ok. First I want to thank Scott for giving us the chance to trial these and give our feedback. I’m going to try and be as picky as I can with the caveat that these are handmade which is AWESOME.
1. In general, how do you like it? Size (16 ounces), color, style, weight.
-I like the color and I wouldn’t want or need various colors. The speckled glaze is nice even compared to straight black. Size feels small but it does hold 16oz of liquid right to the top so a little less for daily drinking use but it fits. Weight is neither here nor there. It’s a ceramic mug, it weighs what it does.
2. Specifically, how does the thumb rest feel? In use, is it helpful where the indents are located? Or do you wish there was just one indent on the top of the handle in the middle?
-This is the one huge disappointment. I’m not sure what the artist was doing with the thumb rest design. I very much dislike it (hate is a strong word, but I don’t see myself ever reaching for this mug because of this). I wish there was no indents at all just a smooth top.
3. These will retail for around $23.95. Would you buy one for yourself? Would you buy one to give away as a gift?
-No on both accounts because of the above. If a different setup, I could see asking for one as a gift from the family.
4. How can it be made better? Larger? Smaller? Different color? What would you like to change about it?
-Again the handle is a disappointment for sure. It’s not comfortable at all for use. I would like a bit of extra size in the mug, maybe an 18oz with an interior mark at 16 would be cool. I’m fine with small imperfections in the overall design but it seems sloppy if this is the finished product. Glaze is pitted in areas, the bottom inside is pot marked around the edges along with the swirls. There would be no way to clean out those areas if the person drank anything other than black coffee.

I hope this is helpful and useful. I wish I had glowing comments from start to finish. If any questions arise I am glad to clear them up.

I’m not sure what the artist was doing with the thumb rest design. I very much dislike it (hate is a strong word, but I don’t see myself ever reaching for this mug because of this). I wish there was no indents at all just a smooth top.

Those indents were my idea and the potter was hesitant. Now I know why I never was a potter! Hey, I wanted to give it a shot with the intent for the mug to be different in some way. Not a good idea but trying and failing is what entrepreneurship is about.

Thanks for your candor, that helps us more than anything else - we need you to be transparent or we end up with a second rate mug.

Great design on the body of the mug, love the swirl in the bottom. Imho the handle needs some work, it's right in the middle of to small and to large, make small enough for two fingers to fit, or large enough for three maybe four (big handle). Top indention, not one on each side. Color, finish, bottom not glazed all good. My wife said too heavy, think handle made it not very stable, daughter loved it. There is a lot of local pottery in NC, found a few examples very similar $8-$9 less. Gift maybe, I use a Yeti for my coffee, will use this for other hot beverages.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Boy, I don't know how you could improve your current mug! Very cool stuff! The one thing I can say about the current mug is it "pours" as you drink it on account of the slightly rolled edge.
I'm with you! The other style mugs are absolutely wonderful, but I have to say that these new "tankard" style mugs are beautiful! The perfect container for a mug of Grog on a cold morning!
I can see another coffee mug purchase in my near future!
Personally speaking, the thumb notches I didn't think I would like, but I actually do like them, and I use them.
The notches are very good at stabilizing your grip when you are reaching to pick it up, set it down or hand it to someone when it is full of hot liquid.
If these notches are similar, I'd be happy.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I'm with you! The other style mugs are absolutely wonderful, but I have to say that these new "tankard" style mugs are beautiful! The perfect container for a mug of Grog on a cold morning!
I can see another coffee mug purchase in my near future!
Personally speaking, the thumb notches I didn't think I would like, but I actually do like them, and I use them.
The notches are very good at stabilizing your grip when you are reaching to pick it up, set it down or hand it to someone when it is full of hot liquid.
If these notches are similar, I'd be happy.

I have a similar mug with a notch at the top. It's a good stabilizer, as you said. It's more of a symmetrical ear with the thumb rest squarely on the top.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
@Captain Pre-Capsize

WOW, these mugs sure went through some changes since 2021! I wanted to share with Scott, why it was so important that I had him pick out the tallest mug in his store for me. I have a treat for you Scott, look what I was doing today!

proxy.php

14-ounces of coffee was brewed into the mug. And this was the end result, check the level!

proxy.php

This left me with enough room to put in my cream and sugar, very nice, worked out perfectly! Thank you so much Scott! :thumbup1:

NOTE: For the record, I purchased this mug, it was not won in a giveaway.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
@Captain Pre-Capsize

WOW, these mugs sure went through some changes since 2021! I wanted to share with Scott, why it was so important that I had him pick out the tallest mug in his store for me. I have a treat for you Scott, look what I was doing today!

proxy.php

14-ounces of coffee was brewed into the mug. And this was the end result, check the level!

proxy.php

This left me with enough room to put in my cream and sugar, very nice, worked out perfectly! Thank you so much Scott! :thumbup1:

NOTE: For the record, I purchased this mug, it was not won in a giveaway.
Now THAT is a mug! Beautifully done @Captain Pre-Capsize !

Top Bottom