What's new

Are the Treet Black Beauty blades any good?

Good evening all.

Sorry I haven't been on here as much recently. Life is just so busy at the moment.

Anyway I've seen these blades on a few websites. The Treet Black Beauty blade which looks a bit odd with its black colour. It may look okay in my Beautytrack razor but I think it would look a bit silly in my 39c Sledgehammer.

Anyway as the saying goes 'don't judge a book by its cover'. Just wondered if anyone has used these blades? Do they shave well? Do they last for a good few shaves? Is there a reason for its black colour?

Jason.

Several threads discussing them, here’s a couple. Like every other blade some like them, some don’t so it’s best to try them for yourself and not rely on others opinions.

I said it in the past and it bears repeating, try the Classics first if you haven't tried carbon steel blades before. They are run through the same equipment that makes their stainless blades and feel like a modern blade. Less sharp carbon blades, like the black b, require adjusting your technique.

I like these a lot - they are sharp and very, very smooth. The smoothness is probably because they are uncoated (but blued) carbon steel, so they rust and generally need to be discarded after a single use unless you dry them immediately after use.

If you want the smoothness of carbon steel blades but with more longevity, Treet also makes PTFE-coated carbon steel blades called Dura Sharp that will last 4 shaves or more before rust gets to the blade edge. These are only $1 more than the Black Beauty blades per 100 blades ($6.99 per 100 right now), so they are worth considering.

I like these a lot - they are sharp and very, very smooth. The smoothness is probably because they are uncoated (but blued) carbon steel, so they rust and generally need to be discarded after a single use unless you dry them immediately after use.

If you want the smoothness of carbon steel blades but with more longevity, Treet also makes PTFE-coated carbon steel blades called Dura Sharp that will last 4 shaves or more before rust gets to the blade edge. These are only $1 more than the Black Beauty blades per 100 blades ($6.99 per 100 right now), so they are worth considering.
P.S. Czech Blades makes a blued carbon steel Tiger-branded blade that looks similar to the Treet Black Beauty. Avoid those carbon steel Tigers - they are the dullest blades that I have ever used, and they felt like a butter knife and barely cut the whiskers - even Derby Extras are sharper.

JasonJT PM an address and I’ll send you a couple Treet carbon blades next time I dig into my stash.

IMO the black beauties are a mild and extremely smooth blade that pairs well with an aggressive razor. If you want to use them more than once, it’s best to store them in a pill bottle or baby food jar filled with alcohol.

I like them a lot, especially in (mild) vintage razors they are really smooth. Can be harsh in more aggressive razors. Some say they are just good for 1 shave but I disagree; I can get 5 to 6 good shaves out of one Treet BB but for that you really have to dry the blades after use since they are made from unprotected carbon steel. For me they last longer than the 'better' Treet Durasharps.

They can drag a little, especially on the first shave, and like with all carbon steel blades it helps using a slow hand during the shave.

I liked them the least from all Treet Carbon blades that I have tried to date.
in order of preference:
Dura Sharp
Classic
Silver
Falcon
Black Beauty

There are 1-2 that I missed on RBC (New Edge, ???)

Every blades different for every person as far as i can make out.You need to try them you might love them or hate them.It's the luck of the draw.

Reactions: Anu
I thought the blade looked cool and was excited to try it. I learned with the first blade to definitely remove it from my razor and dry it after shaving because it was rusty the next morning. Besides the extra attention they require, they just didn't work for me. I found them harsh and tuggy--and even drying them I didn't get more than a couple shaves from each blade before tossing them. These are on my permanent "don't waste time trying this again" list.

so they rust and generally need to be discarded after a single use unless you dry them immediately after use.
<irony>
Required tools on the side: alumn, styptic, tetanus shot :letterk1:
</irony>

just kidding of course, but seriously, I never get why anyone would use carbon steel products. I remember a thread in the straight section about a razor that rusted after a couple of uses and the manufacturer refused to replace because it is a characteristics of the blade...

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The question almost has to be, "Are ______ blades any good for me?"

I swear by all that's holy, I have not been at your bathroom window during your shaves, so I don't know. It's near impossible to find any blade that is not both loved and hated by someone. The good news is that even expensive blades are really pretty darn cheap. The bad news is the only way to answer the question is to subject your face to the blade. Go slow and be prepared to discard a blade mid-shave.

just kidding of course, but seriously, I never get why anyone would use carbon steel products.
Well, here are a couple; better feedback, more forgiving, leaving my skin in better condition (though it doesn't always feel that way during the shave I admit).
I went looking for carbon blades for a different reason though; I prefer carbon steel for my knives so I thought why not shave with it?

Well, here are a couple; better feedback, more forgiving, leaving my skin in better condition (though it doesn't always feel that way during the shave I admit).
I went looking for carbon blades for a different reason though; I prefer carbon steel for my knives so I thought why not shave with it?
Well said and pretty much the same reason why I like using the carbon steel Treets and the GEM Blue Star carbon steel SE blades.

I shaved with my first Black Beauty this morning and I found the blade to be smooth and it effectively cut through my stubble. I did only a 1 pass shave with touch ups. I found the blade to be smooth for me. I immediately dried off the blade after I was finished with my shave. Now to see how many shaves I can get with it.

As with all blades I have tried, I ignore what other people have said about them and try them out for myself. I have found that my face agrees with many blades. Ladas continues to be the worst blade I have tried so far.

Thanks to each and every one of you for your replies. After carefully considering each one, I have decided to give them a miss. They seem too much hard work in terms of looking after, especially if I have to take it out of the razor after each shave and my wife certainly doesn't want loose blades in the house.

Jason.

especially if I have to take it out of the razor after each shave and my wife certainly doesn't want loose blades in the house.
Well, I don't like loose blades either so what I do is cleaning and drying both razor and blade and put the blade back in. But you are right, there are blades that are easier to use.

Something else. I called these blades, just like anybody here, Black Beauties for years as they didn't seem to have a name other than the brand name on the packages. Because of this thread and because I am trying out various Treet blades still waiting to be tested I visited Treet's own website and they do have an official name: Treet TRBC !

Top Bottom