What's new

What Are the Differences Between Derby Extra and Premium DE Blades?

Has anyone ever been in direct contact with Derby regarding what makes the Premium DE blades superior to the Derby Extras?

In the Derby English language catalog (link below) the only difference listed is the use of Swedish steel. Otherwise the copy for both is identical with the statement "Special double coating with chromium, ceramic, platinum & tungsten for optimum edge durability & comfort" implying that the manufacturing process may be the same.

Copy elsewhere in catalog emphasizes how all Derby blades are made the same way including "All Derby razor blades are:"

"Perforated, hardened and sharpened with the highest blade technology equipment."
• "Produced from high performance stainless steel."
• "Developed with special chrome, ceramic, platinum and tungsten coating technology for optimum durability and shaving comfort."
• "Controlled in every step of the production with international quality standards applications."

Additional copy indicates that all Derby blades are honed the same way as follows:

"Derby razor blades are made to be more durable with GOTHIC ARCH sharpening technology approved in the world standards."

Finally the copy regarding the steel used on all Derby blades indicates that it may be of the same quality for all blades even if not noted in the specific blade copy:

"processing the high-quality steel supplied by the world’s leading manufacturers on all European machines" On Amazon many of the Derby Extra listing claim that they are also made of Swedish Steel. Omission of the Swedish Steel copy in the catalog does not preclude this.

Always wary of brands that only differ in their marketing and packaging as justification for a premium price. I use Derby Extras as part of my blade rotation with good results and want to believe that the positive reviews, from so many Derby Premium blade users, are based on material differences in the blades. Would have expected Derby to better articulate these differences in their marketing copy. On Amazon non of the sellers responding to questions on how the Premiums differ from the Extras answered with any specific facts on product feature differences. Most of the responses were from customers regarding their perceptions of the blades.

Wondering if these are the same blade with performance perceptions fueled by comparisons to older pre-2016 Extra blades that did not work well for many B&B members.

Catalog Link:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
There are lots of ways a blade could differ, even using the same base ingredients, and overall methodology. Geometry, hardness, coating thickness, ratio of materials in coating competition, and even grit size used for final grind.

I use both blades, and they both feel different to me. Derby Extra is good enough. Not the sharpest blade, but very smooth, and rather short lived (8-10 shaves). Derby Premiums feel a little prickly/scratchy on first use, but soon smooth out, and last longer for me (15-20 shaves).

Wondering if these are the same blade with performance perceptions fueled by comparisons to older pre-2016 Extra blades that did not work well for many B&B members.
This may well be right, but I can't shed any light on this one way or the other. While I share the clear perception that Derby Premiums shave much better (for me, that is) than Derby Extras, I'm not certain I have ever used a post-2106 Derby Extra. Is there any way to tell from the packaging?

FWIW, I have also tried the Usta blades, purchased in 2019, and found them about the same as the Extras, which is to say inferior to the Premiums. But again, that is just perception, and I don't know of any verifiable information as to manufacturing differences.

I'm not certain I have ever used a post-2106 Derby Extra. Is there any way to tell from the packaging?

Here's an image (credit to @ShavingByTheNumbers) that shows the difference in packaging between the pre- and post-2016 Derby Extras:

full

Here's an image (credit to @ShavingByTheNumbers) that shows the difference in packaging between the pre- and post-2016 Derby Extras:

full
Thanks for posting this. The information from the above image would lead me to conclude that my experience with Derby Extras is with pre-2016 blades. So, I can't really provide an informed opinion on the OP's question as to whether post-16 Extras and Premiums are really the same blade. Could be.

Since the Premiums work well for me, I'll just go with what I know and stick with the Premiums. The price is basically the same for either blade.

The Premiums are almost exactly inbetween the Extra's and the Astra Platinums on the sharpness graph. I have been working on both 100 packs of Extra's and Astra's for some time and now that I realize the relative sharpness of the Premiums, I think they will work perfectly for me in at least 2 out of the 3 razors I have. Between the 3 of them that should be all the different blades I need.

All I have to do is get some with my next shaving supply order, but I haven't seen them on many sites?

@Lane101 There's a difference between each of the Derby`s. See @South Dakota Guy post linked below.

Precisely what we have to guess. Does look like angles and finish are unique, which could be due to different steel, that's just speculation though.

Last edited:
@Lane101 There's a difference between each of the Derby`s. See @South Dakota Guy post linked below.

Precisely what we have to guess. Does look like angles and finish are unique, which could be due to different steel, that's just speculation though.

Well I didn’t even know a Derby USTA, seems like the major difference between the Premium and the Extra, is that the Premium is double coated. That would explain the Premium’s initial tugging and it’s longevity.

Just saw this. Agree all the blades look different. Hard to tell what or if we are just observing production variation across the three post 2016 blades (Derby Extra Blue, Usta & Premium). Can definitely see how they improved the "cathedral" hone with three clear stages between the pre-2016 green blades and the newer ones. Much smoother final hone surface on all three of the newer blades. Thank you for posting the link.

Interestingly, mine that I purchased in 2007 have the horizontal writing on them. It looks like the font for the "5" is the same as the pre-2016 older version in the picture above.

Attachments

• derby.jpg
    derby.jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Top Bottom