What's new

Participation PIF - The Unobtainium Polsilver Super Stainless

Last night, I had shave #38 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a Fatip Open Comb Grande in gold that I bought off the BST. The Grande was definitely lighter than the Piccolo and there is a distinct difference in how each balances and feels in the hand. While I prefer the overall dimensions of the Grande's handle, as of now, I prefer the Piccolo's balance.

I used Tabac (tallow) shaving soap and made a good slick and cushiony lather with it.

Prior to the shave, I showered with warm water and also used warm water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. After shaking my brush to remove some water, I picked up the soap puck in my left hand and swirled my brush across it for 40 seconds before scooping up the protolather and transferring it to my Captain's Choice Seaworthy lather bowl. What I couldn't remove from my hands, I rubbed on my face.

Next, I rinsed the remaining protolather off my fingers with some tap water and collected the soapy water in an empty cup. I then picked up my brush and began to stir it in the lather bowl while gradually adding some of the soapy water to make my lather. When my lather looked shave-ready, I applied a little of the soapy water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. My Grande had more blade feel and exposure than my Piccolo. Where with the Piccolo, the shaves had been smooth and I pretty much never felt the blade, with the Grande, I couldn't find an angle where I did not feel the blade. Still, I managed a BBS without cutting myself. That said, my previous shaves with the Piccolo felt better overall.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Stirling Spice) and aftershave balm (Van der Hagen Post Shave Soothing Balm). As with my shaves with my Piccolo, I felt no sting from the alum block though I felt a bit of sting from the alcohol in the splash, though.

This was my sixth time using the VDH balm. Again, I used a little less than pea sized amount of the balm and got a better skin feel (i.e., less "heavy"/greasy) but still perspired a bit more on areas of my face to which I applied the balm than areas without the balm.

All in all, I would also give this shave a 98.5/100.

View attachment 1355072
Shave no. 38? Wow, that's stunning!

Shave no. 38? Wow, that's stunning!
I believe another gentleman reached shave #50. I think I can reach shave #60 with the blade, especially if I continue to use it in my Fatip OC Piccolo. The Grande feels just a little rougher (but there's no tugging nor any other indication of blade deterioration), which might be due to something more directly related to the razor, like increased blade exposure or blade gap (I'm just spitballing as I don't have the tools to make the necessary measurements to confirm one way or the other).

I believe another gentleman reached shave #50.

That would be me. I did it twice, actually. 🤪

I think I can reach shave #60 with the blade, especially if I continue to use it in my Fatip OC Piccolo. The Grande feels just a little rougher (but there's no tugging nor any other indication of blade deterioration), which might be due to something more directly related to the razor, like increased blade exposure or blade gap (I'm just spitballing as I don't have the tools to make the necessary measurements to confirm one way or the other).

As you said, 60 shaves should be easily achievable if you find the right combination of razor and blade.

In my case, the forgiving nature of the FOCS allowed me to power through a couple of rough patches on the first blade. I would have tossed that blade out well before 50 shaves if I had been using anther razor.

On the other hand, getting to 50 shaves on the second blade was relatively easy because that blade was more consistent from shave to shave. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I could push that blade into true Excalibur territory (100+ shaves) and will probably revisit it sometime in the future! 😁

I put shave 28 on blade two a few days ago. While there was no tugging or anything, I wondered if the sharpness had dropped off. I shaved today with a Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow with one use on it this morning to compare sharpness. I need at least another shave before picking up blade two again. I had more blade feel today and increased efficency, but, that could lay on the angle and the fact that I was mowing down a few days growth. Depending on tomorrow's shave I will shave with the unobtainium blade for shave 29 on Wednesday or Thursday.

Last night, I had shave #39 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a Fatip Open Comb Grande in gold that I bought off the BST. I'm getting a little more used to the Grande, now, but I'll probably still need a couple more shaves before it's as comfortable as the Piccolo.

I used Tabac (tallow) shaving soap and made a good slick and cushiony lather with it.

Prior to the shave, I showered with warm water and also used warm water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. After shaking my brush to remove some water, I picked up the soap puck in my left hand and swirled my brush across it for 45 seconds before scooping up the protolather and transferring it to my Captain's Choice Seaworthy lather bowl. What I couldn't remove from my hands, I rubbed on my face.

Next, I rinsed the remaining protolather off my fingers with some tap water and collected the soapy water in an empty cup. I then picked up my brush and began to stir it in the lather bowl while gradually adding some of the soapy water to make my lather. When my lather looked shave-ready, I applied a little of the soapy water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. This shave was smoother and had less blade feel than my last shave. However, it was still not quite as smooth as with the Piccolo and the blade feel was still greater than that of my shaves with the Piccolo. Also, I wound up having to buff a little more than with any of my shaves with the Piccolo (or even my last shave). Still, I managed a BBS without cutting myself.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Stirling Spice) and aftershave balm (Van der Hagen Post Shave Soothing Balm). As with my shaves with my Piccolo, I felt no sting from the alum block though I felt a bit of sting from the alcohol in the splash, though.

This was my seventh time using the VDH balm. Again, I used a little less than pea sized amount of the balm and got a better skin feel (i.e., less "heavy"/greasy) but still perspired a bit more on areas of my face to which I applied the balm than areas without the balm.

All in all, I would also give this shave a 98.5/100.

12FCD36A-6368-45DB-8A51-2F6D0DA39D82.jpeg

Last night, I had shave #40 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a Fatip Open Comb Grande in gold that I bought off the BST. I'm getting a little more used to the Grande, now, but I'm still learning it. Last night I learned that it sometimes has blade adjustment issues. I guess I just got lucky with my previous two shaves with it.

I used Pre de Provence 63 shaving soap and made a good slick and cushiony lather with it.

Prior to the shave, I showered with warm water and also used warm water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. I also soaked my soap puck upside down in my Captain's Choice Seaworthy lather bowl in which I had added just enough water to soak the too of the puck.

After shaking my brush to remove some water, I dumped the filmy bloom water into an empty cup, picked up the soap puck in my left hand, and swirled my brush across it for a minute before scooping up the protolather and transferring it to my lather bowl. What I couldn't remove from my hands, I rubbed on my face.

Next, I rinsed the remaining protolather off my fingers with some tap water and collected the soapy water in the bloom water cup. I then picked up my brush and began to stir it in the lather bowl while gradually adding some of the soapy bloom water to make my lather. When my lather looked shave-ready, I applied a little of the soapy bloom water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. Since I use both sides of my razor per pass, I noticed that one side seemed to have more blade feel than the other during the first pass. This led me to adjust the blade and top cap in mid-shave. After that, the rest of my shave was about as smooth as my first shave with the Grande. Still, I managed a BBS without cutting myself.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying some home aftershave splash (with a base of Thayer's witch hazel toner and isopropyl alcohol) and (Pre de Provence 63) aftershave balm. Thanks to the harshness from the razor before I made the adjustment mid-shave, my face was slightly irritated I felt a bit more sting from the alum block then before. I also felt more of the sting from the alcohol in the splash.

All in all, I would also give this shave a 97.5/100.

B40D0BEF-70E5-4D1F-9C27-1B34A54C2A42.jpeg

THE UNOBTAINIUM BLADE Returns - The Polsilver Super Stainless

Produced by Wizamet in the Lodz factory in Poland, This Blade may well be THE GRAIL of Double Edge Razor Blades. A very, worthy Blade that is held in high esteem and had become unobtainium...until this brief moment...hopes and dreams really do come true!! Do Not Miss Out, This Will Be Epic!!

@Space_Cadet has very generously provided 300 Polish-made Polsilver Super Stainless Blades for as many B&B'ers as possible to try these blades!! Those who sign up for this Participation PIF will receive 5 Polish-made Polsilver Super Stainless Blades!! Working the math, that's a whopping...whopping...60 Participants (59 and yours truly)!!

Here are The Rules:
  • Have at lease 10 quality posts (if you don't have 10, get posting!! Participation in other discussions is highly encouraged!!)
  • Declare "I'm In!!"
  • Be willing to post about your setup and experience with these heretofore unobtainium Polish-made Polsilver Super Stainless Blades
  • Once the 59 slots have been claimed, the PIF Phase will close (but honestly, that's a lot of slots; don't be bashful, claim yours)
  • Have outrageous Fun with this Participation PIF
Special Note #1 - The Participation Phase will NOT begin until after Shark Week, July 11th - 18th. I'm participating in Shark Week and do not want to conflict with a Great Shark Week of Shaving...according to @BigJ, There Will Be Blood In The Water!!

Special Note #2 - Anyone NOT REQUESTING THE PIF because you already have these blades in your den: please feel free to join in the Participation anyway. Now is a great time to dig them out and join the discussion!!

Special Note #3 - Those participating in the 2021 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek, The Revised Rules allow you to receive up to 3 blades, and I'm honoring The Revised Rules so you can stay in the Purchase Sabbatical AND Participate in this Participation PIF!!

IMPORTANT: Once you've declared "I'm In!", please send me a PM with your complete mailing address as it should appear on a 1st Class Envelope (I'm in the US, so if you're international, YES international B&B'ers are included, please include your Country with your mailing address).
Imissed this thread back in July!
THE UNOBTAINIUM BLADE Returns - The Polsilver Super Stainless

Produced by Wizamet in the Lodz factory in Poland, This Blade may well be THE GRAIL of Double Edge Razor Blades. A very, worthy Blade that is held in high esteem and had become unobtainium...until this brief moment...hopes and dreams really do come true!! Do Not Miss Out, This Will Be Epic!!

@Space_Cadet has very generously provided 300 Polish-made Polsilver Super Stainless Blades for as many B&B'ers as possible to try these blades!! Those who sign up for this Participation PIF will receive 5 Polish-made Polsilver Super Stainless Blades!! Working the math, that's a whopping...whopping...60 Participants (59 and yours truly)!!

Here are The Rules:
  • Have at lease 10 quality posts (if you don't have 10, get posting!! Participation in other discussions is highly encouraged!!)
  • Declare "I'm In!!"
  • Be willing to post about your setup and experience with these heretofore unobtainium Polish-made Polsilver Super Stainless Blades
  • Once the 59 slots have been claimed, the PIF Phase will close (but honestly, that's a lot of slots; don't be bashful, claim yours)
  • Have outrageous Fun with this Participation PIF
Special Note #1 - The Participation Phase will NOT begin until after Shark Week, July 11th - 18th. I'm participating in Shark Week and do not want to conflict with a Great Shark Week of Shaving...according to @BigJ, There Will Be Blood In The Water!!

Special Note #2 - Anyone NOT REQUESTING THE PIF because you already have these blades in your den: please feel free to join in the Participation anyway. Now is a great time to dig them out and join the discussion!!

Special Note #3 - Those participating in the 2021 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek, The Revised Rules allow you to receive up to 3 blades, and I'm honoring The Revised Rules so you can stay in the Purchase Sabbatical AND Participate in this Participation PIF!!

IMPORTANT: Once you've declared "I'm In!", please send me a PM with your complete mailing address as it should appear on a 1st Class Envelope (I'm in the US, so if you're international, YES international B&B'ers are included, please include your Country with your mailing address).
oh wow! I’m in four months too late! I’m sure I missed out but still, it’s awesome to see these kinds of activities going on. Their are no shortage of kind and good people here!

Last night, I had shave #41 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a gold Fatip OC Grande. I'm getting a little more used to the Grande, now, but I'm still learning it.

I used Pre de Provence 63 shaving soap and made a good slick and cushiony lather with it.

Prior to the shave, I splashed myself with warm water while brushing my teeth and also used warm water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. I also soaked my soap puck upside down in my Captain's Choice Seaworthy lather bowl in which I had added just enough water to soak the top of the puck.

After the water in the lather bowl turned filmy, I shook my brush to remove some water I dumped the filmy bloom water into an empty cup. I then picked up the soap puck in my left hand and swirled my brush across it for a minute before scooping up the protolather and transferring it to my lather bowl. What I couldn't remove from my hands, I rubbed on my face.

Next, I rinsed the remaining protolather off my fingers with some tap water and collected the soapy water in the bloom water cup. I then picked up my brush and began to stir it in the lather bowl while gradually adding some of the soapy bloom water to make my lather. When my lather looked shave-ready, I applied a little of the soapy bloom water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and minimally buffed my trouble areas. Since I discovered the blade alignment issue with this razor, I had carefully placed (and locked into place) the razor before I started shaving. Thanks to that bit of foresight, my shave was about as smooth as my first shave with the Grande and I managed a BBS without cutting myself.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off. I felt a tiny bit of sting from the alum block, as I had with my first shave with the Grande. I then cleaned my shaving gear before taking a warm shower, which washed off the alum.

Finishing up the shave, I applied some homemade aftershave splash (with a base of Thayer's witch hazel toner and isopropyl alcohol) and (Pre de Provence 63) aftershave balm. I barely felt the sting from the alcohol in the splash.

All in all, I would also give this shave a 98/100.

9103EC4B-6B6B-4C51-82DF-016CC3C7AFF1.jpeg

I have just gotten into wet shaving 2 months ago and I was fortunate to have tried multiple different blades and my favourite is Gillette Nacet but I have heard that polsilver is highly regarded in this forum and I understand that it's not available for purchase anymore. I would like to trade my Gillette Nacet (which I just ordered 200 blades) for a couple of polsilver blades. Anyone willing to part with their polsilver?

Last night, I had shave #42 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a gold Fatip OC Grande. This shave was rougher than my previous shaves with the same razor. I may have jumped the gun with my last report of getting more used to the gold Fatip OC Grande.

I used Pre de Provence 63 shaving soap and made a good slick and cushiony lather with it. Unfortunately, the cushion didn't stand up to the roughness of the razor this time.

Prior to the shave, I repeatedly splashed myself with warm water while brushing my teeth (including rinsking with mouthwash) and also used warm water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. I also soaked my soap puck upside down in my Captain's Choice Seaworthy lather bowl in which I had added just enough water to soak the top of the puck.

After the water in the lather bowl turned filmy, I shook my brush to remove some water I dumped the filmy bloom water into an empty cup. I then picked up the soap puck in my left hand and swirled my brush across it for a minute before scooping up the protolather and transferring it to my lather bowl. What I couldn't remove from my hands, I rubbed on my face.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and minimally buffed my trouble areas. I thought I had carefully placed (and locked into place) the razor before I started shaving, however, one side proved to be a little rougher than I prefer. Rather than realigning the blade midshave this time, I opted to be more careful with the rougher side. While this "worked," it also provided a less comfortable shave, though I managed a BBS.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off. I felt quite a bit of sting from the alum block. I then cleaned my shaving gear before taking a warm shower, which washed off the alum.

Finishing up the shave, I applied some homemade aftershave splash (with a base of Thayer's witch hazel toner and isopropyl alcohol) and (Pre de Provence 63) aftershave balm. I also felt the sting from the alcohol in the splash.

All in all, I would also give this shave a 97/100.

Life's too short to settle for lesser shaves. I'm going to use my nickel Fatip OC head with the gold Grande handle for my next shave. I'm thinking this will provide a more comfortable shave while also providing me with a better-sized razor handle.

02AF1B9A-7307-470F-B3A7-E0B43B5CCD12.jpeg

20211107_150409-01-01.jpeg
SOTD #266/2021
08-11-2021

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: custom Shavemac 26mm Silvertip Badger
Soap: Mäurer & Wirtz ~ Tabac
Razor: Henson Shaving AL 13 (medium)
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (1)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Mäurer & Wirtz ~ Tabac ASL ; Nivea Sensitive asb.

Blade 5 - Shave 1

It's time to tackle the final blade of this PIF. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to write about it in detail today, but it's great to shave with the Polsilver Stainless again. I kind of missed the smoothness of this blade, which is even enhanced by the Henson Shaving AL 13. Overall, a super nice shave.

Onward to shave no 2.
Happy shaves!

IMG_20211109_052403.jpg

Blade 2 shave 29.
I gave the unobtainium blade a few days off to compare it's sharpness that I feel has dropped slightly. Today I shaved a 48 hour beard. For the first time I noticed some resistance mowing down stubble. Nothing like the tugging I experienced at 12 shaves in the Fatip SB slant with blade 1. Just noticeabley more effort to cut the stubble was needed. I felt the hair being cut. The blade still cuts but is not quite as comfortable. If I cared about blade longevity, I would likely keep going. This is the most shaves I have knowingly gotten from a blade. As it is I want to try other blades and feel I have gotten the best this blade has to offer. I am glad to have taken part, though I missed the PIF and started later. I have found a new blade that I like and will revist the remaining 3 at a later date. Now I have some other vintage blades to try. Next up Polish Wizamet Iridium Super from the early 80's. After the Polsilver I am looking forward to trying vintage of my favorite blade.

Last night, I had shave #43 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a nickel Fatip OC Piccolo head on a gold Grande handle. This shave was smoother than those with the OC Grande. If I hadn't overbuffed in chasing a BBS and cut an unseen (just growing) pimple, it would've been a pretty spectacular shave.

Prior to the shave, I repeatedly splashed myself with warm water while brushing my teeth (including rinsking with mouthwash) and also used warm water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. I also soaked my soap puck upside down in my Captain's Choice Seaworthy lather bowl in which I had added just enough water to soak the top of the puck.

After the water in the lather bowl turned filmy, I shook my brush to remove some water I dumped the filmy bloom water into an empty cup. I then picked up the soap puck in my left hand and swirled my brush across it for a minute before scooping up the protolather and transferring it to my lather bowl. What I couldn't remove from my hands and the top of the puck, I rubbed on my face.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and overly buffed my trouble areas on my chin. I forgot I was using the Fatip Piccolo, which is plenty efficient without being aggressive. Aside from the cut pimple, I managed a BBS.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block and felt quite a little sting on the pimple but only a very minor irritation where I overly buffed on my chin. I then cleaned my shaving gear before taking a warm shower, which washed off the alum.

Finishing up the shave, I applied some homemade aftershave splash (with a base of Thayer's witch hazel toner and isopropyl alcohol) and (Pre de Provence 63) aftershave balm. I didn't really feel the sting from the alcohol in the splash.

All in all, I would give this shave a 97/100. However, I blame my own errors for the downgrade in the shave from. The Polisilver blade is still performing wonderfully with the nickel Fatip OC head.

EA17E7D3-1246-4D5C-ABED-0353FAB9EA4E.jpeg

Last night, I had shave #44 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a nickel Fatip OC Piccolo head on a gold Grande handle. This shave was smoother than those with the OC Grande.

I used a PIF'd puck of Haslinger Aloe Vera shaving soap and made a good slick and cushiony lather with it.

Prior to the shave, I repeatedly splashed myself with warm water while brushing my teeth (including rinsing with mouthwash) and also used warm water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. I also soaked my soap puck upside down in my Captain's Choice Seaworthy lather bowl in which I had added just enough water to soak the top of the puck.

After the water in the lather bowl turned filmy, I shook my brush to remove some water from it, then dumped the filmy bloom water into an empty cup. Next, I picked up the soap puck in my left hand and swirled my brush across it for a minute before scooping up the protolather and transferring it to my lather bowl. What I couldn't remove from my hands and the top of the puck, I rubbed on my face.

I then rinsed the remaining protolather off my fingers with some tap water and collected the soapy water in the bloom water cup. I then picked up my brush and began to stir it in the lather bowl while gradually adding some of the soapy bloom water to make my lather. When my lather looked shave-ready, I applied a little of the soapy bloom water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. I managed to get a 95% irritation-free BBS.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block and felt quite a little hint of a sting on a few of my trouble areas. I then cleaned my shaving gear before taking a warm shower, which washed off the alum.

Finishing up the shave, I applied some aftershave splash (Stirling Spice) and aftershave balm (Nivea Men Sensitive Soothing Post Shave Balm). I feel a bit more sting from the alcohol in the splash.

All in all, I would give this shave a 98/100. I'm pretty sure I can get a darn near perfect shave with this setup with a little more practice.

ABF8CE9C-E0E0-4BEB-8968-EC2C5F49072A.jpeg

Last night, I had shave #44 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a nickel Fatip OC Piccolo head on a gold Grande handle. This shave was smoother than those with the OC Grande.

I used a PIF'd puck of Haslinger Aloe Vera shaving soap and made a good slick and cushiony lather with it.

Prior to the shave, I repeatedly splashed myself with warm water while brushing my teeth (including rinsing with mouthwash) and also used warm water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. I also soaked my soap puck upside down in my Captain's Choice Seaworthy lather bowl in which I had added just enough water to soak the top of the puck.

After the water in the lather bowl turned filmy, I shook my brush to remove some water from it, then dumped the filmy bloom water into an empty cup. Next, I picked up the soap puck in my left hand and swirled my brush across it for a minute before scooping up the protolather and transferring it to my lather bowl. What I couldn't remove from my hands and the top of the puck, I rubbed on my face.

I then rinsed the remaining protolather off my fingers with some tap water and collected the soapy water in the bloom water cup. I then picked up my brush and began to stir it in the lather bowl while gradually adding some of the soapy bloom water to make my lather. When my lather looked shave-ready, I applied a little of the soapy bloom water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. I managed to get a 95% irritation-free BBS.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block and felt quite a little hint of a sting on a few of my trouble areas. I then cleaned my shaving gear before taking a warm shower, which washed off the alum.

Finishing up the shave, I applied some aftershave splash (Stirling Spice) and aftershave balm (Nivea Men Sensitive Soothing Post Shave Balm). I feel a bit more sting from the alcohol in the splash.

All in all, I would give this shave a 98/100. I'm pretty sure I can get a darn near perfect shave with this setup with a little more practice.

View attachment 1361950
I'm am amazed by the number of shaves that you, @Demolition, and @tehnothing have been able to achieve from these blades!! Just AWESOME!!

20211113_122744-01.jpeg
SOTD #269/2021
14-11-2021

Brush: Yaqi Mokka Express 2-band badger
Soap: Le Père Lucien ~ Cèdre Orange
Razor: Karve CB Brass SB G-plate
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (2)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Le Père Lucien ~ Cèdre Orange AS.
Fragrance: Polo Red EdT.

A very nice and relaxing Sunday shave. 3 close passes, again, the Polsilver totally smoothed out the Karve G-plate. It's been a pure joy. A stunning blade.

I haven't used the LPL soap/AS combo for a while, but I should do more often. It's a lovely cedarwood driven scent intermixed with fresh orange notes, which I like a lot. I easlily whipped up a lovely slick and cushiony lather with the huge Mokka Express, this knot is almost to huge for my liking, but every now and then it's great fun to literally swirl a complete badger through the face. 😉

Finished up the shave with Polo Red, which was a very nice match with the scent of LPL. Very nice, overall.

Enjoy your Sunday and have some greatshaves!

Last edited:
20211114_163300-01-01.jpeg
SOTD #270/2021
15-11-2021

Brush: Semogue 1800
Soap: Declaration Grooming ~ Trismegustus
Razor: Gillette Super Adjustable (A1)
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (3)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Nivea Sensitive asb.

Blade 5 - Shave no. 3

I don't know why but this shave was just a mediocre one. 3 passes. The blade felt harsh in this razor during the atg pass (all passes on setting 8), that's something I notice rather seldomly with this blade. The other passes were okay, though. Maybe I was the limiting factor today in this setup.

Onward to shave no 4.

Have some great shaves!

Last night, I had shave #45 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a nickel Fatip OC Piccolo head on a gold Grande handle. This shave was pretty darn excellent!

I used Haslinger Aloe Vera shaving soap and made a good slick and cushiony lather with it. I initially thought I had added too much water, but the lather was super slick and it still maintained a good cushion.

Prior to the shave, I repeatedly splashed myself with warm water while brushing my teeth (including rinsing with mouthwash), used warm water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush, and also soaked my soap puck upside down in my Captain's Choice Seaworthy lather bowl in which I had added just enough water to soak the top of the puck.

I then rinsed the remaining soap off my fingers with some tap water and collected the soapy water in the bloom water cup. I picked up my brush and began to stir it in the lather bowl while gradually adding some of the soapy bloom water to make my lather. When my lather looked shave-ready, I applied a little of the soapy bloom water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. I managed to get an irritation-free BBS.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block and felt the tiniest bit of sting in one or two spots. I then cleaned my shaving gear before taking a warm shower, which washed off the alum.

Finishing up the shave, I applied some aftershave splash (Stirling Spice) and aftershave balm (Korres Saffron Spice). I feel a bit more sting from the alcohol in the splash.

All in all, I would give this shave a 99/100.

C44B7E06-B823-4E9D-876B-981DFE73803B.jpeg

Top Bottom