What's new

Pulled the trigger on an entry level AR

My birthday is next week so I pulled the trigger on a Diamondback Arms DB15, my first personal foray into an AR
proxy.php

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I like Yankee Hill Machine sights. They’re solid and cheaper than Troy’s. I also have a rear Magpul MBUS Pro that seems to be a solid choice as well.

+1 Troy and YH are excellent built steel bus's. I really like the mbus pro steel sights i acquired not too long back. The way they skeletonize the back of the rear and front sights get's rid of any extra unused steel, which makes them really lightweight while maintaining the strength and durability of steel sights.

And at a good price. :)

OkieStubble

My Son in-law to be has a Diamondback, he seems to be happy with it. As far as irons, depending on your budget, I would recommend Troy.

I was just at a Bass Pro yesterday looking around. Their racks behind the counter were stuffed full of Diamondback AR's.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
The nice thing about ARs is they don't stay "entry level" for long. There's so much great after-market stuff out there that piece by piece, you can turn your rifle into a world-class shooter . . . and have fun doing it.

(My personal preference is to start with the best trigger you can afford. Makes a huge difference. Then start saving for a bbl.)

OkieStubble

The nice thing about ARs is they don't stay "entry level" for long. There's so much great after-market stuff out there that piece by piece, you can turn your rifle into a world-class shooter . . . and have fun doing it.

(My personal preference is to start with the best trigger you can afford. Makes a huge difference. Then start saving for a bbl.)

Great post @Whilliam. Your post kinda reminds me of a story I remember hearing when I was very young and in grade school.

I can’t remember the title of the story book, but it was about a man who carried around a stone in his pocket. During his travels, when he entered a new village the people would ask him why he carried a stone in his pocket?

He answered them saying, “in order to make ‘stone soup.’
People would respond surprised; stone soup! How does one make soup from a stone?

He would then place his stone in a huge pot of water on a fire in the middle of the village while a crowd of doubters would be watching.

After sometime went by waiting for the water in the pot to boil with the stone in it, before too long? Someone in the crowd would inevitably say, “ I bet that stone soup would taste good with a little onion in it! The man would respond, “ you know you’re right, I bet it would!

That person would run and go get some onion and throw it in the pot with the stone. Not long after, someone else would chime up, I bet some potatoes would be a great addition to those onions and the stone. The old man would respond again, that is a ingenious idea!

This would continue until others came up with their own ideas and started adding, celery and then meat and seasonings.

By the time the stone soup was made it had grown into a marvelous meal that fed the entire village.

Villagers would thank the old man for his hospitality of visiting their town and sharing his stone soup with them. They would walk away full in astonishment and wonder how a man made soup from a single, simple stone. :)

Has anyone else here, ever heard that story before? This is just as you are saying about an AR rifle and it’s wonderful design which allows it to be modular and adaptive, just like that stone. :)

Last edited:

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Great post @Whilliam. Your post kinda reminds me of a story I remember hearing when I was very young and in grade school.

I can’t remember the title of the story book, but it was about a man who carried around a stone in his pocket. During his travels, when he entered a new village the people would ask him why he carried a stone in his pocket?

He answered them saying, “in order to make ‘stone soup.’
People would respond surprised; stone soup! How does one make soup from a stone?

He would then place his stone in a huge pot of water on a fire in the middle of the village while a crowd of doubters would be watching.

After sometime went by waiting for the water in the pot to boil with the stone in it, before too long? Someone in the crowd would inevitably say, “ I bet that stone soup would taste good with a little onion in it! The man would respond, “ you know you’re right, I bet it would!

That person would run and go get some onion and throw it in the pot with the stone. Not long after, someone else would chime up, I bet some potatoes would be a great addition to those onions and the stone. The old man would respond again, that is a ingenious idea!

This would continue until others came up with their own ideas and started adding, celery and then meat and seasonings.

By the time the stone soup was made it had grown into a marvelous meal that fed the entire village.

Villagers would thank the old man for his hospitality of visiting their town and sharing his stone soup with them. They would walk away full in astonishment and wonder how a man made soup from a single, simple stone. :)

Has anyone else here, ever heard that story before? This is just as you are saying about an AR rifle and it’s wonderful design which allows it to be modular and adaptive, just like that stone. :)
Okie, I've heard the expression "stone soup," but never knew what it referred to. Now I see it is a delightful tale that is quite famous. Thank you for posting that.

OkieStubble

Okie, I've heard the expression "stone soup," but never knew what it referred to. Now I see it is a delightful tale that is quite famous. Thank you for posting that.

I wonder, if ole’ Eugene ‘Stone’r ;) knew the future of what he had with his Armalite Rifle.

Amazing how one can take a simple, basic, no thrills AR-15 and with just a few additions here and there, they can turn their rifle into a long distance tack driver.

And when they get tired of that, they can take off a bit of the stuff they added and then put on a couple of completely different stuff and have a lean and mean, high speed, low drag, close quarters battle rifle.

Or they can just leave it plain Jane and have a overall nice shooter and plinker.

Ole’ Eugene should have named it the WR-15 for Wonder Rifle. :)

Last edited:
I have been an instructor at a Fire Academy and have done contract leadership and technical rescue training for businesses and industry as well as a tactical emergency medical support (TEMs) instructor, and serving 17 years as a SWAT medic with our local PD.

OkieStubble

I have been an instructor at a Fire Academy and have done contract leadership and technical rescue training for businesses and industry as well as a tactical emergency medical support (TEMs) instructor, and serving 17 years as a SWAT medic with our local PD.

Thank you for your service!

Thank you as well! Its is nice to have a career where not only can you serve but it is a great adventure as well. Who knew when I started out as a firefighter that someday I would get paid to do such cool things.

Top Bottom