What's new

Personna platinum

I used Astra greens on the first shave with the Henson Medium, and had an average shave (too much scraping for my taste).

Figured I'd try the Personna Platinum instead, which I've never used before. I've tried it on two occasions but never managed more than three strokes because it's so incredibly harsh.

Next I'll see if the Mamba 53 can tame the Personna.
In the meantime, what are these blades' claim for fame?

Last edited:
Only that the work for most users and in most razors :c9:
YMMV as usual…
If you have Astra Stainless (blue packaging) at hand give them a try. For me they work better than the greens and to stay on topic Personna Platinums work for me.

Personna Platinum work forme in just about any razor. Smooth and plenty sharp to do the job. Maybe you got a bad batch?

Personna Platinums were among the top of the blades in my sampler for both efficiency and smoothness. For me anyway, Astra SP was near the bottom. I like the SS better but still nothing spectacular.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Personna Israeli Platinum Red is one of my top blades. I like them so much that I stocked up on ~400 of the Israeli blades when Personna announced that they were moving production to Germany.

I used one this morning it seemed great. Comparable to Personna lab blue or Astra Superior Stainless.
PXL_20211113_144216180.jpg

I got them at Merz not sure if they are Israeli or German.

That's what I use most days. The ones made in Germany. Good quality and price. Nice smooth sharp shave.

I looked at my box of lab blues and they say made in Germany but packaged in the US. So maybe both are made in the same plant since they're very similar in performance. Lab blues used to be made in the US.

That's what I use most days. The ones made in Germany. Good quality and price. Nice smooth sharp shave.

I looked at my box of lab blues and they say made in Germany but packaged in the US. So maybe both are made in the same plant since they're very similar in performance. Lab blues used to be made in the US.
"Lab Blue" is really just a nickname for a Personna blade made by Accutec in Virginia, USA. They are most similar to the Med Preps, made in the same plant.

The German blades are made by Edgewell, so they can't be Lab Blues.

There used to be the Personna "barber blades" being sold. Those did not seem as good as the others.

"Lab Blue" is really just a nickname for a Personna blade made by Accutec in Virginia, USA. They are most similar to the Med Preps, made in the same plant.

The German blades are made by Edgewell, so they can't be Lab Blues.

There used to be the Personna "barber blades" being sold. Those did not seem as good as the others.
Things get extra confusing when the box says Edgewell and Accutec. These older ones were made in USA

Personna Blades.jpg

Top Bottom