What's new

Help identifying a straight razor - Geschlagen und Gehartet Olympic

Hello,

First time poster. I've been lurking online trying to find information regarding this razor that I'm bidding on. It's been difficult to find any information about it. Can anyone help out?

Cheers,
Pedro

Attachments

• 5DBA4CF6-9C18-411E-BDEA-70511A1E365B.jpeg
    5DBA4CF6-9C18-411E-BDEA-70511A1E365B.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 17
  • F49B1628-3D34-43DC-BC55-5CCCA1B13CC6.jpeg
    F49B1628-3D34-43DC-BC55-5CCCA1B13CC6.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 18
  • AD5D84B1-59CA-48F2-A88A-79B39970D2FC.jpeg
    AD5D84B1-59CA-48F2-A88A-79B39970D2FC.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 2D7B60C4-177B-42D9-A7DF-B886B764BEC2.jpeg
    2D7B60C4-177B-42D9-A7DF-B886B764BEC2.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 50736A28-1970-4ED1-9E6D-4D260BC44785.jpeg
    50736A28-1970-4ED1-9E6D-4D260BC44785.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 20
Wow. Thanks for the reply. Indeed I did think to search in German, but it wouldn't help much as I don't speak it. Seems like an interesting razor at least although a bit big. Regardless it is indeed legit.

Thanks for the help!

I am a native German speaker and that is one odd razor to me, with some really bad German on it.

’Soligene Art’ makes no sense, if it was proper German it should be ‘Solingener Art? (in Solingen fashion).

The next one is ‘geschlagen and gehartet’ (translates as ‘beaten and hardened’) and was probably intended to mean ’forged and hardened’, which would more correctly be translated as ’geschmiedet and hehärtet’.

This reminds me of some botched translations that you find today, done with Google Translate, that really do a disservice to whatever language it is supposed to be.

This razor may have been made before people travelled widely in Europe and spoke each others languages, but I still would have expected Monsieur Pierre Thiers to come up with a better translation than that.
But of course, the French and German nations were not exactly best friends in those days…

Interesting find, not only because of the bungled translations.

B,

I am a native German speaker and that is one odd razor to me, with some really bad German on it.

’Soligene Art’ makes no sense, if it was proper German it should be ‘Solingener Art? (in Solingen fashion).

The next one is ‘geschlagen and gehartet’ (translates as ‘beaten and hardened’) and was probably intended to mean ’forged and hardened’, which would more correctly be translated as ’geschmiedet and hehärtet’.

This reminds me of some botched translations that you find today, done with Google Translate, that really do a disservice to whatever language it is supposed to be.

This razor may have been made before people travelled widely in Europe and spoke each others languages, but I still would have expected Monsieur Pierre Thiers to come up with a better translation than that.
But of course, the French and German nations were not exactly best friends in those days…

Interesting find, not only because of the bungled translations.

B,
Well sometimes you have to excuse the lack of grasp of the finer details of a language and appreciate the good intention. At least I hope that is what the members of B&B does when it comes to me butchering the English language. So with a smile and a blink of an eye I great all German speaking B&B-members with: Guten Heute alle Leute;)

Well sometimes you have to excuse the lack of grasp of the finer details of a language and appreciate the good intention. At least I hope that is what the members of B&B does when it comes to me butchering the English language. So with a smile and a blink of an eye I great all German speaking B&B-members with: Guten Heute alle Leute;)

God kväll allihopa…

On a social level, it matters more that someone makes an effort to try to addresses the other person in his or her native language, but if something is done on a commercial level I think customers deserve better. Strictly socially, one doesn’t have to be perfect, it’s the effort that matters.

But I don’t wish on any Swede a Volkwagen driver’s manual translated into poor Swedish like that, and would have hated my Volvo* manual to be in such a massacred English either… :lemo:

But as I said, that razor was made in a different time, wasn’t it?

* I miss those Saabs.

B.

Yes times were very different now and I am thankful for that they are. I miss SAAB too, especially my Saab 9-5. A few years ago a young man in a delivery van slammed into in and in a second converted it from a car in mint condition into what the insurance company called scrap. I replaced it with a German made car that I have come to like more than any other car I've ever owned, it's not a VW though.

Top Bottom