What's new

Ralf Aust 6/8 American (square) Point with Horn Scales

I love my Ralf Aust razors. It is a wonderful thing that you can acquire something modern that is so nice instead of having to search for a vintage razor that is NOS among the many worn razors out there. I especially like his 7/8 offerings and my American point with African Blackwood scales is one of my most cherished razors.

His quality is not perfect on every razor, from what has been posted online, but I have yet to receive one that I am not happy with or falls below stellar as far as quality is concerned. YMMV
Ralf Aust 1.jpg

Attachments

• Ralf Aust 1.jpg
    Ralf Aust 1.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 19

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I love my Ralf Aust razors. It is a wonderful thing that you can acquire something modern that is so nice instead of having to search for a vintage razor that is NOS among the many worn razors out there. I especially like his 7/8 offerings and my American point with African Blackwood scales is one of my most cherished razors.

His quality is not perfect on every razor, from what has been posted online, but I have yet to receive one that I am not happy with or falls below stellar as far as quality is concerned. YMMVView attachment 1354099
I hope that I don't love it as much as you love your Ralf Aust's. My wallet couldn't afford it 😊.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The most beautiful straight razor that I have ever held. The natural horn scales remind my of surf coming up a sandy beach.

IMG_20211102_124955.jpg

I cannot fault the quality of this razor. The only downside is that the toe is just ever so slightly muted.

First things first, I performed a Sharpie inspection. No tape used in honing and no double bevel. Full contact was made in all relevant areas. All was good.

Next I checked the edge with a tree-topping test on my chest hairs. It did tree-top but only at about 5mm. I prefer my edges to tree-top at about 10mm to 12mm. I then put this razor through a full diamond pasted balsa strop progression, after which it was tree-topping to my liking.

The razor was given a coat of Renaissance wax and put away for tomorrow morning's shave.

Will I be able to sleep tonight?

The most beautiful straight razor that I have ever held. The natural horn scales remind my of surf coming up a sandy beach.

I cannot fault the quality of this razor. The only downside is that the toe is just ever so slightly muted.

First things first, I performed a Sharpie inspection. No tape used in honing and no double bevel. Full contact was made in all relevant areas. All was good.

Next I checked the edge with a tree-topping test on my chest hairs. It did tree-top but only at about 5mm. I prefer my edges to tree-top at about 10mm to 12mm. I then put this razor through a full diamond pasted balsa strop progression, after which it was tree-topping to my liking.

The razor was given a coat of Renaissance wax and put away for tomorrow morning's shave.

Will I be able to sleep tonight?

nice piece there sir!!!!

camo

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Did you request a blonde horn version?
No, it was just what was offered to me. I liked what I saw so bought it.

My next SR will probably be a custom one by Proserpine Razor Co. Steve, the owner, is currently away in the Northern Territory (Australia) on business. He will be back next week and will discuss the design then. I'll start a new thread when we start the design process.

No, it was just what was offered to me. I liked what I saw so bought it.

My next SR will probably be a custom one by Proserpine Razor Co. Steve, the owner, is currently away in the Northern Territory (Australia) on business. He will be back next week and will discuss the design then. I'll start a new thread when we start the design process.

I am loving those scales!!!

@Tomo @rbscebu - is blond horn the name of those scales? They are different than the first pic in this post. Is it the luck of the draw that the one you received has considerably less black? Or are they a different scale?

@AdamAZ - is the second razor from the right in your post the same as rbscebu's? Blond horn?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I am loving those scales!!!

@Tomo @rbscebu - is blond horn the name of those scales? They are different than the first pic in this post. Is it the luck of the draw that the one you received has considerably less black? Or are they a different scale?
The photo in the OP was from Ralf's website. I was sent a photo of the actual SR I was to receive prior to dispatch. I approached of the scales and it was dispatched (at great expense).

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
That is certainly a beautiful razor. It looks wider than a 6/8.
You are correct. I measured it after reading your post. The blade is 22mm (⅞). I have heard that Germans measure their blade widths from the maximum thickness of the spine, not the top of the spine. That would explain why Ralf refers to it as a 6/8.

My Revisor 6-0035, also German, is the same. Revisor says it is 6/8 and it measures 21mm (closer to a ⅞).

Tomorrow I will try to post a review of my Ralf Aust in the B&B review section.

Last edited:
Congrats on that great razor. My far better half gifted me with one of his French point 6/8s last year. It's a beautiful thing that shaves like a dream. Enjoy Yours!

Top Bottom