What's new

Head shave: best DE and/or blade?

One of the many nice aspects of B&B is the variety of hardware used by its members.
Being a beard and head shaver, I am under the impression beard shaves and head shaves differ somewhat.
Most advice seems to be about beard shaving, and I learn a lot from those threads.
Since I am currently a DE shaver, no doubt picking up SE and Open Razor shaving in the future, I would like other head shavers' opinion on what they consider the best DE head shaver (plus what blade they prefer) and why.
Your input is highly appreciated 🙏🏾

177CC72A-5372-4A97-9F1B-DA1FD83A06CC.jpeg
It’s a SE but it takes your favorite half DE blade - Razorock Eco Hawk.
I shave my face steep angle but for the head I go shallow and this is the design (hoe type) for it.

The Henson medium and Yates 921-H are my favorite DEs for shaving the head. Efficient and comfortable, close to BBS in 2 passes, BBS with minor touchups. Other DEs work, but I am MUCH more likely to get a nick or cut.

Not a DE, but the Leaf brings greater efficiency for the head in shave closeness and time. I consider it superior to a DE for head shaving. My wife likes it very much, so any time savings for me is lost as I have to swap out the blades each time I want to use it.

Generally, my face is much more easily irritated than the head. I much prefer more open/aggressive/wider blade gap on the head. That rounded surface is too difficult to follow with most mild DE razors I can get a satisfactory head shave with the Merkur 34C, but it takes about 30-45 minutes. Using the Progress, setting 3 on the face and 5-6 on the head works very well for me.

There are a ton of threads about this subject if you need some reading foder to do while you wait for replies.

Ultimately, I feel I need a more mild razor on my head than on my face. I believe this has to do with the fact that the top of your skull (at least mine) has no give. Its like putting a razor on the top of a hard table (albeit curved). I feel way more blade feel on it than on my face. My theory is that the "plump" (that is the skin that gets between the blade and the safety bar) is far less (less give) resulting in more blade feel from the weight of the razor and the need for a mild razor.

The second thing you need to consider is time. Your head is curved and cant' be flattened like your face so it will take more time to shave because the full length of the blade is never actually touching your skin at the same time. Using a mild razor also helps me whip through a head shave quickly. I also head shave in the shower to reduce cleanup time. Total headshave time is about 4 min.

The last thing you need to think about is clogging. At least for me, although I try to shave my face everyday, I sometimes skip a day for head out of pure laziness or time constraints. You will want at least one razor in your arsenal that doesn't clog with 2 or 3 days growth.

My go to headshaver for the last decade has been the merkur open comb (there are a variety of model numbers depending on what handle you get). I use a razorock titanium halo handle 100mm. This system meets all of the requirements of the above for me. I do a two pass shave. One with the merkur. The second with a cartridge for any cleanup. A cartridge is faster than any DE razor, but clogs easily. So its perfect for the second pass when 90% is already gone. I am testing out another razor now that shows a lot of promise but its a bit early to make it my go-to.

ETA - this system extends the life of the cartridge to about a month or 2 because of how little hair it actually cuts. Its rare that I recommend any shaving youtuber as they all just seem to love everything. However, iamcdb uses the leaf razor and talks about technique and preferences in his head shaving videos. His lather video is also great. There are very few razors that he doesn't love so that will be of no help to you.

Last edited:
There are a ton of threads about this subject if you need some reading foder to do while you wait for replies.

Ultimately, I feel I need a more mild razor on my head than on my face. I believe this has to do with the fact that the top of your skull (at least mine) has no give. Its like putting a razor on the top of a hard table (albeit curved). I feel way more blade feel on it than on my face. My theory is that the "plump" (that is the skin that gets between the blade and the safety bar) is far less (less give) resulting in more blade feel from the weight of the razor and the need for a mild razor.

The second thing you need to consider is time. Your head is curved and cant' be flattened like your face so it will take more time to shave because the full length of the blade is never actually touching your skin at the same time. Using a mild razor also helps me whip through a head shave quickly. I also head shave in the shower to reduce cleanup time. Total headshave time is about 4 min.

The last thing you need to think about is clogging. At least for me, although I try to shave my face everyday, I sometimes skip a day for head out of pure laziness or time constraints. You will want at least one razor in your arsenal that doesn't clog with 2 or 3 days growth.

My go to headshaver for the last decade has been the merkur open comb (there are a variety of model numbers depending on what handle you get). I use a razorock titanium halo handle 100mm. This system meets all of the requirements of the above for me. I do a two pass shave. One with the merkur. The second with a cartridge for any cleanup. A cartridge is faster than any DE razor, but clogs easily. So its perfect for the second pass when 90% is already gone. I am testing out another razor now that shows a lot of promise but its a bit early to make it my go-to.

ETA - this system extends the life of the cartridge to about a month or 2 because of how little hair it actually cuts. Its rare that I recommend any shaving youtuber as they all just seem to love everything. However, iamcdb uses the leaf razor and talks about technique and preferences in his head shaving videos. His lather video is also great. There are very few razors that he doesn't love so that will be of no help to you.
@ewk says he prefers a mild razor too, but I shave with a DLC Yaqi, which (I think) is not a mild razor. I have used mild razors on my head, but did not like it at all. Took a lot of time, many hairy spots left, which didnt easily clean up. I am 60 y/o, so maybe my skin is more loose than yours?
I am planning on using real agressive razors for my head, like the Fatip o/c, the Yaqi Beast and my Roedter 1909. I take you guys would advise against it?

I hope that is not that Manchester Utd fan from England. I have seen him shave with a Leaf and it looked like he was trying to scalp himself 🥶

@ewk says he prefers a mild razor too, but I shave with a DLC Yaqi, which (I think) is not a mild razor. I have used mild razors on my head, but did not like it at all. Took a lot of time, many hairy spots left, which didnt easily clean up. I am 60 y/o, so maybe my skin is more loose than yours?
I am planning on using real agressive razors for my head, like the Fatip o/c, the Yaqi Beast and my Roedter 1909. I take you guys would advise against it?
It could be your skin is just not as sensitive as mine? My theory is what I have surmised over a decade of doing it but that is not to say going aggressive is wrong.

I don't know what you mean by "hairy spots left". On top I go ATG first pass as there is not much there and I can get BBS pretty quickly. Sides and back are all DFS as I don't care for super close. If you want BBS on sides and back, my approach will not get you there without spending some time. I shoot for quick and even all the way around at DFS level. Ruds (on youtube) loves the vector and he goes for BBS all the way around in a single pass. That would give me irritation I don't want or need.

I do occasionally get hair spots (as in I missed them completely) because I can't see in the back and don't feel like using a mirror. Any spots left from my first pass, I get quickly with the second pass cartridge. I should probably also add that I want the head shave done as fast as possible. I would have to concentrate way to much with an aggressive razor to get the lightest touch possible. You may prioritize things differently.

I hope that is not that Manchester Utd fan from England. I have seen him shave with a Leaf and it looked like he was trying to scalp himself 🥶
haha no - he is American.

It could be your skin is just not as sensitive as mine? My theory is what I have surmised over a decade of doing it but that is not to say going aggressive is wrong.

I don't know what you mean by "hairy spots left". On top I go ATG first pass as there is not much there and I can get BBS pretty quickly. Sides and back are all DFS as I don't care for super close. If you want BBS on sides and back, my approach will not get you there without spending some time. I shoot for quick and even all the way around at DFS level. Ruds (on youtube) loves the vector and he goes for BBS all the way around in a single pass. That would give me irritation I don't want or need.

haha no - he is American.
I will certainly have a look. The Leaf is supposed to be pretty aggressive. Looks weird, though. In the Netherlands we use similar gear to peel potatoes.
A318115D-4116-43BA-8A49-1EDC480D0F5F.jpeg

For head shaving a mild open comb is ideal. A mild razor will be much easier to use and the open comb won't clog on longer growth.

The Merkur open-comb head design is just about perfect for head-shaving (all their open comb models use the same head).

PS: I use mine with Nacets. A sharp blade in a mild razor is a good combination.

EDIT: sorry just realised you're looking for a more aggressive razor. The Fatip Piccolo/Grande are nice razors. I have a Piccolo but almost always reach for the Merkur for a head shave. My hair is quite fine though: maybe a more aggressive OC would work better for coarse hair.

Last edited:
Please read up on the 1909 first. People are not sure if it ever was intended as it is or if it was just a mishap that wrecked the geometry of the head.
I know. Someone on a Dutch forum said it should be prohibited.
Enjoyed the 1909 battle on B&B.
Razors like that fascinate me. Must me my Scorpio Zodiac sign.

For head shaving a mild open comb is ideal. A mild razor will be much easier to use and the open comb won't clog on longer growth.

The Merkur open-comb head design is just about perfect for head-shaving (all their open comb models use the same head).

PS: I use mine with Nacets. A sharp blade in a mild razor is a good combination.

EDIT: sorry just realised you're looking for a more aggressive razor. The Fatip Piccolo/Grande are nice razors. I have a Piccolo but almost always reach for the Merkur for a head shave. My hair is quite fine though: maybe a more aggressive OC would work better for coarse hair.
Thank you, I keep every suggestion in mind 👍🏽

Top Bottom