What's new

Simpson 2xl best badger Vs Simpson Duke 3 best badger Which is better?

Are you referring to the X2L Colonel? if so, the X2L (and don’t discount the Commodore X2/X3) is one of Simpsons best values IMO. And it is much cheaper than the Duke 3.

If $$$ is not a factor, the Duke 3 would be considered a better brush by most Simpson lovers. The duke has a more dense knot which is a big part of why it costs more.

I own a 2XL and used to own a Duke 3. If I had to pick one it would be the Duke 3 followed by a Commodore X3 over the X2L.

Can‘t go wrong with either though!

I love my X2L and would totally recommend it. I've never used a Duke 3 before but I have a few shaves under my belt with the Duke 2 I bought my dad and thought it was a great brush, but for me I liked the X2L a little better and I use it at least a few times a week.

If you were to get either I'm sure you'll think it's a nice solid brush that performs great. There is quite the monetary difference between the two, and Simpson has a million other varieties to check out also so keep that in mind.

I own both the Duke 3 and the X2L. They are both good brushes, no doubt, but I prefer the Duke 3, which has a larger knot.

The X2L knot is comparable to a Duke 2.

The Duke 3 is one of the top shaving brushes in the world. It makes no nevermind which Simpson you buy right now, because once you've bought a Simpson--- ANY Simpson--- it will only be a matter of time before you get yourself a Duke.
I gifted my Duke a while back. Rest assured that a Duke 3 Best will have my name on it if there are any crazy Black Friday sales. T’is a great brush.

I gifted my Duke a while back. Rest assured that a Duke 3 Best will have my name on it if there are any crazy Black Friday sales. T’is a great brush.
Sign up for the West Coast shaving email notifications. They have a couple of simpson sales per year. I just got another one very recently for a 30% off select Simpson brushes. I didn't bother to check if the Duke 3 was listed in the last one. I got mine from them for 20% off a couple months ago. Totally worth buying those run-of-the-mill Simpson brushes with the ivory handles from them when that are discounted. Save your really special LE purchases direct with Simpson- i think they are overpriced for what they are.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Weren't we just discussing Simpsons' butterscotch? WCS had these LE Dukes back in 2015.

Duke bscotch3.jpg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Nope. You’d likely want us to take that clown Marchand. 👎

I’m sorry for the sidetrack, OP… We tend to do that here!
Marchand may as well be a shaving brush.... because every time you hear his name you work yourself into quite a lather!

First, you are looking at some very fine brushes! So tough to go wrong IMO.

Second, Simpsons, especially their best badger grade, show considerable variation. So two brushes of the same model and hair grade may be quite different. This is either an issue or part of Simpsons charm.

That said, my personal preference would be the Duke which is an iconic brush!

But, you should BUY BOTH!! (My prediction is that you will in the end.) :a29:

My Duke 3 in Best is pillow soft. Even more so than the Silvertip which I paid 3x more for. The Duke has middle of the road backbone I think so if you're looking for that on the high end then don't get a Duke.

I have both the Colonel and the Duke 3. If you only bowl lather, I wouldn't pay the extra $ for the Duke 3. If you face lather the Duke 3 wins by a mile in my opinion. The Duke's knot is denser and the flow thru is the best I have found. I have a good many badgers with hair considered far better than Simpson's Best and cost considerably more that I would let go before my Duke 3.

Top Bottom