What's new

What's the current state of Old Spice?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
So, this has probably been hashed out in another thread, but also probably while I was on hiatus and I'll never find it.

So it used to be the Indian stuff was true-blue Shulton formula, some scientist with a gas chromatograph machine proved it, and I bought a couple of bottles years ago. Apparently, now even the Indians have redone their formula, is that correct? I note that the sticky with the gas chromatograph results is also gone now.

So what is the consensus on where to get the 'best' Old Spice is? I'm guessing we are all just going to Walgreens and getting what's on the shelf and refilling our glass bottles, but I want to check before I do that. Is there any reason to hunt down something else? Shipping was worth it to me from India for the Shulton formula, but if that's gone ...

Thanks.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I get mine, vintage Shulton, on the bay. I have had the odd bottle where I suspected it was either watered down or was the new formulation but otherwise I have been happy with my purchases. Any I did not think were authentic went into the reed diffuser air freshener, or I used it to add a little scent to bath water, or added some into my steam iron when pressing my clothes, or I used as an all over body splash.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
So, this has probably been hashed out in another thread, but also probably while I was on hiatus and I'll never find it.

So it used to be the Indian stuff was true-blue Shulton formula, some scientist with a gas chromatograph machine proved it, and I bought a couple of bottles years ago. Apparently, now even the Indians have redone their formula, is that correct? I note that the sticky with the gas chromatograph results is also gone now.

So what is the consensus on where to get the 'best' Old Spice is? I'm guessing we are all just going to Walgreens and getting what's on the shelf and refilling our glass bottles, but I want to check before I do that. Is there any reason to hunt down something else? Shipping was worth it to me from India for the Shulton formula, but if that's gone ...

Thanks.

I have plenty of modern and vintage aftershaves of all kinds and brands. The only two discontinued and vintage aftershaves I find worth spending an exorbitantly amount of money on, would be the original Shulton Old Spice and Gillette’s Sun Up.

They are just that good.

I also, do not typically purchase artisan aftershave’s because of their higher prices.

But the reviews of B&M’s Classic Reserve which is a clone of Gillette’s vintage Sun Up got me to pull the trigger on a bottle.

It is not an exact match imo. But the scent is close enough to not only keep me guessing, but close enough to give me that retro vibe and feeling I get when actually using the Original Sun Up.

Vintage aftershaves we love are just getting harder and more expensive to find and acquire. I know with B&M’s version, I could easily decant it into an empty bottle of Sun Up and keep moving right along.

Has an Artisan maker, captured the magic of the original Shulton Old Spice? I have at least 20 bottles of it that I can see and maybe a few more put up that I don’t see, so I might never know.

But if there is an artisan maker who has successfully copied it? I would move heaven & earth to keep buying it so they would never stop making it. Decant it into an Old Spice bottle and keep moving along. :)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Thanks.
It's here

The dimestore Vijon is virtually identical to the current Old Spice.
I like the current version, just not as much as the original.
If I'm going to buy the current version, I'll save a few bucks and buy the Vijon

Has an Artisan maker, captured the magic of the original Shulton Old Spice?

Not Stirling Spice. It's like OS on afterburner. It is not intoxicating...more like asphyxiating.

It's some strong Old Spice stuff. People around you will faint as you stroll down the street.

I use it once in a while when I'm really, really, really in the mood for the classic scent. :c2:

Unfortunately, unless a fifty year old bottle of cologne has been preserved in a sealed glass bottle and kept in controlled environmental conditions such as a wine cellar, it is unlikely that the scent will be like the original scent on the date of manufacture. Once the bottle has been opened, oxygen gets into the bottle and starts to react with the scent components. Exposure to light and heat just speeds up the reactions.

Thus, a 50 year old bottle of Old Spice, Sun Up or other cologne may be an interesting purchase, the bottle may be more valuable than the juice inside.

Remember also that colognes are typically made from natural essential oils and spices. As natural products, there will be variations in the scent from one production year to the next due to variations in the components. I understand that aficionados of Creed Aventus debate of which production year smells the best. Thus, there may be no single Old Spice scent that can claim to be original.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I'm sorry I started this, I just (embarrassingly) found another OS thread I posted in! I think I have the precursors of AZ. lol

@OkieStubble I agree, I'd pay up for the Shulton, but I guess India stopped making it with that recipe. :mad:

I'll just go the Walgreens route, I guess. sigh

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Thanks.
I would say Walgreens. I’ve used that stuff for for fifty + years now and to me, it smells exactly the same as the original except for being toned down a bit which I believe is an improvement. I bought a couple of bottles of the Indian stuff and just tossed them. OS in the summer and VIBR in the winter.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Not Stirling Spice. It's like OS on afterburner. It is not intoxicating...more like asphyxiating.

It's some strong Old Spice stuff. People around you will faint as you stroll down the street.

I use it once in a while when I'm really, really, really in the mood for the classic scent. :c2:
Maybe an experiment mixing it with some P&G might be in order! :ihih:

I have plenty of modern and vintage aftershaves of all kinds and brands. The only two discontinued and vintage aftershaves I find worth spending an exorbitantly amount of money on, would be the original Shulton Old Spice and Gillette’s Sun Up.

They are just that good.

I also, do not typically purchase artisan aftershave’s because of their higher prices.

But the reviews of B&M’s Classic Reserve which is a clone of Gillette’s vintage Sun Up got me to pull the trigger on a bottle.

It is not an exact match imo. But the scent is close enough to not only keep me guessing, but close enough to give me that retro vibe and feeling I get when actually using the Original Sun Up.

Vintage aftershaves we love are just getting harder and more expensive to find and acquire. I know with B&M’s version, I could easily decant it into an empty bottle of Sun Up and keep moving right along.

Has an Artisan maker, captured the magic of the original Shulton Old Spice? I have at least 20 bottles of it that I can see and maybe a few more put up that I don’t see, so I might never know.

But if there is an artisan maker who has successfully copied it? I would move heaven & earth to keep buying it so they would never stop making it. Decant it into an Old Spice bottle and keep moving along. :)
Two clones that I have are:

B&M Reserve Spice. Is it like Shulton OS? No. It is much brighter. Kinda like OS on steroids.
PAA Cold Spices. This is the closest to my nose, but to be honest, I have not used Shuton OS is quite some time. This one also has a good bit more menthol. They do sell samples to check it out.

I like them both...nice variations on the excellent original scent.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I've thought about it. Two parts P&G and one part Stirling Spice might do the trick.

But I don't want to use up all my Stirling Spice since they are going to discontinue that particular scent.
Wait.....WHAT?!? discontinue? NOOOOOO

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I really wonder what different kinds of Old Spice are sold within the various EU nations.

It's not only if a different formula is used, it already starts with availability of some scents. Slugger and Swagger e.g. are hard to get for me, an I quite like Swagger.

There are a quite some particular scents that are hard to get. The UK seems to get he most variety, but even without it, the EU has quite a range of availability and different scents. Right now I can get more than just Old Spice Original and Captain only from Amazon and few other sources.

Danged. I only get Original and occasionally Captain here in Singapore. And I could swear it smells different from when I was a kid..

I've thought about it. Two parts P&G and one part Stirling Spice might do the trick.

But I don't want to use up all my Stirling Spice since they are going to discontinue that particular scent.
Since when? Love the soap was thinking on ordering more of it and maybe the aftershave too any reason to why it's getting discontinued

Top Bottom