What's new

Gillette history wiki question: end of Old Type production

Hi, all. I'm trying to sort out a discrepancy over how long the Gillette OLD type razor was in production. The wiki here lists it as ending in 1929, as does the discussion on this thread, yet the Razor Emporium guy talks about Old types (ball end, thick cap, gold color, no serial numbers) being produced all through the 1930s as well.
The early '30s were weird times for lots of reasons, in the country and in the company, but it makes some sense to me that they would churn out a few OLDs, given they had just ended the New Improved line. That left them with no proven seller to carry forward and only NEWs (and new deluxes) to sell until they figured out TTOs a few years later.
So: did they keep manufacturing OLD types into the 1930s? And, if no, did they have enough stockpiled before the crash to sell OLD types through the 1930s, even though they weren't making new ones any longer?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hi, all. I'm trying to sort out a discrepancy over how long the Gillette OLD type razor was in production. The wiki here lists it as ending in 1929, as does the discussion on this thread, yet the Razor Emporium guy talks about Old types (ball end, thick cap, gold color, no serial numbers) being produced all through the 1930s as well.
The early '30s were weird times for lots of reasons, in the country and in the company, but it makes some sense to me that they would churn out a few OLDs, given they had just ended the New Improved line. That left them with no proven seller to carry forward and only NEWs (and new deluxes) to sell until they figured out TTOs a few years later.
So: did they keep manufacturing OLD types into the 1930s? And, if no, did they have enough stockpiled before the crash to sell OLD types through the 1930s, even though they weren't making new ones any longer?
Well, if Razor Excoriation says it, it must be true, right? :lol1:

The New Improved began production in 1921 through 1929, well before the end of the Old Type. The New began production in 1929, a distinctly different design from the Old Type and the New Improved.
Gillette certainly SOLD razors they had in stock after the production date had ended. That may be the cause of some confusion. Gillette did weird stuff, so if someone comes up with concrete proof to the contrary, I'd be willing to listen, but I haven't seen anything yet.

Of note is that 1929 is the last year that Gillette produced razor blades with the three hole design. In 1930, they introduced the slotted blades. To me, it doesn't make sense that Gillette would produce an entirely new blade design, and a totally new razor design, and continue to manufacture an old design simultaneously.

Last edited:
Well, if Razor Excoriation says it, it must be true, right? :lol1:
You seem to suggest this guy or company are not a reliable source. I have no knowledge of the matter, but I'd be interested to know why this is the case.
The New Improved began production in 1921, well before the end of the Old Type. The New began production in 1929, a distinctly different design from the Old Type and the New Improved.
Yes, this is my point: that Gillette had two long-proven lines going by the end of the '20s. If it ended both at once in 1929, that would have left Gillette with none of its proven sellers and only the untested NEW type in its portfolio.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If there is evidence to the contrary, I'd love to see it.
I tend to disregard one single outlier in a wide selection of resources that say otherwise, particularly in view of the reliability of that outlier.

As for that group, a 5 minute read here on search results will tell you all you'd like to know and more, from shabby work, to insulting emails to customers, to people's priceless family heirlooms that were sent in for repair being sold to other people for profit.

R

romsitsa

For some time the old and New coexisted, the lates stockist ad I can remember was from 1931-2.
But it is hard to say wether it was a continous production or leftower stock.
We know that the Goodwill line started around 1931 and some designs used the old type head so I suggest Old types were produced in the early 30ies.

The New improved is identical to the New, the only difference is how the blade is secured.
Slotted blades worked with the Old tpe razor, the trick was that the New razors didn't work with the old blade.
The New improved (and later the New Deluxe line) didn't sell well, profit was in the ball end variants produced for the masses. So the discontinuation of the premium Ni razors didn't cause any problem.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have no doubt Old Types were being sold as long as there were any left to be sold.
I just have not seen any evidence that Gillette continued to produce them in the factory.
Still have not.
Sold and made is two different things.

I have no knowledge about vintage razors, well some. Anyway, it is probably good to keep in mind the comment up above about blades. Gillette was in the blade business, the razors were there to keep you buying their blades. Putting the razor before the blades seems like cart before the horse. If they were manufacturing blades with a whole new cutout, they of course wanted you to buy a new razor and the new blades.

Top Bottom