What's new

Wolfman WR2 vs. Razorock BBS

@ClumsyBull : I don't have the BBS, but I already have a Mamba on the way to me.

Since you have both: from what I've been able to see in closeup pics, the top cap on the Mamba, where it meets the blade, is slimmer than the BBS. Can you confirm this?
The slimmer cap should allow for a shallower blade angle (i.e. blade more parallel to the skin) than what the BBS provides. On the other hand the BBS is slightly more curved.
What is your experience regarding the *blade angle* shave between the two? Are they different?

@ClumsyBull : I don't have the BBS, but I already have a Mamba on the way to me.

Since you have both: from what I've been able to see in closeup pics, the top cap on the Mamba, where it meets the blade, is slimmer than the BBS. Can you confirm this?
The slimmer cap should allow for a shallower blade angle (i.e. blade more parallel to the skin) than what the BBS provides. On the other hand the BBS is slightly more curved.
What is your experience regarding the *blade angle* shave between the two? Are they different?
"Steep" angle is where the handle is more parallel to the skin. Picture a steep hill.
The BBS will shave steeper because of the torsional flex on the blade.
The Mamba shaves at about 50 degrees or more.

"Steep" angle is where the handle is more parallel to the skin. Picture a steep hill.
The BBS will shave steeper because of the torsional flex on the blade.
The Mamba shaves at about 50 degrees or more.
That's why I specifically talked about the *blade* angle, regardless of the handle angle. The point is that with the Mamba the *blade* is/can be close to parallel to the skin, due to the very slim top cap.

I'm aware that the BBS has a steeper shaving angle *of the handle*, but if the top cap is thicker where it joins the blade, the *blade* angle might still flatter (=more perpendicular to the skin) compared to the Mamba.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
If you have the BBS already, I wouldn't really go for the Mamba.

But if you like SUPER mild razors, then yeah, the Mamba is brilliant without being at all scary.

I’ve nicked my face and neck with the BBS more times than with the Mühle 2013-R41. A Mamba 53 is on its way to me from Southeastern Canada as this is typed (from a B&B member as opposed to the store in Ontario province).

That's why I specifically talked about the *blade* angle, regardless of the handle angle. The point is that with the Mamba the *blade* is/can be close to parallel to the skin, due to the very slim top cap.

I'm aware that the BBS has a steeper shaving angle *of the handle*, but if the top cap is thicker where it joins the blade, the *blade* angle might still flatter (=more perpendicular to the skin) compared to the Mamba.
Oh ok. My bad.
I see what you're saying now.
You want to know if the blade angle let's the blade slice more than it scrapes.

Yes!!! Finally someone gets it. I wish I had a mamba 70 to help you out. Its an intriguing razor. That being said, I have ready that it is more mild than the BBS and the loading of the blades on the baseplate drives me nuts on the gamechanger (its not terrible though - I just don't like it).

A couple of other differences - RR claims the blade bending helps keep the blade even more rigid on the BBS. Also, (and I don't know if this plays a role) - I wonder if the handle being more perpendicular to the skin allows you to use less pressure when you ride the cap? As in, you don't have to push (even ever so slightly) into the skin as much if you are trying to go as shallow as possible. Something to think about. I would like to try the mamba 70 at some point but I am not sure its worth buying if you have the BBS already.

This post may help you but the point of view for the pictures is not optimal (well below blade line) - read the comparison though! -

O

Hmmm, frankly the BBS IS more efficient than the Mamba. In terms of shaving action, I think the BBS blade is bent a bit more, giving a more rigid hence smoother shave. Again, a lot of this is very subjective, but since I am a fan of efficient shaves, I gravitate more towards the BBS. I have also picked up the extra aggressive plate from RR for the BBS and so far it works like a charm.

--EDIT--
In terms of absolute shaving angle, I must say that it is not so different that I would notice it unless I use the 2 side by side.

Last edited:
Yes!!! Finally someone gets it. I wish I had a mamba 70 to help you out. Its an intriguing razor. That being said, I have ready that it is more mild than the BBS and the loading of the blades on the baseplate drives me nuts on the gamechanger (its not terrible though - I just don't like it).

A couple of other differences - RR claims the blade bending helps keep the blade even more rigid on the BBS. Also, (and I don't know if this plays a role) - I wonder if the handle being more perpendicular to the skin allows you to use less pressure when you ride the cap? As in, you don't have to push (even ever so slightly) into the skin as much if you are trying to go as shallow as possible. Something to think about. I would like to try the mamba 70 at some point but I am not sure its worth buying if you have the BBS already.

This post may help you but the point of view for the pictures is not optimal (well below blade line) - read the comparison though! -

O
Thank for the link, great read! Even in that pic one can see that the Mamba has a slimmer top cap.

I agree with you in that I also think that the blade angle is what makes the Mamba, and in the BBS I would guess, a different/smoother shaving experience.

As I mentioned, I have a Mamba 70 incoming, so I'll share my impression once it arrives.
I'm also hoping to find a BBS in the meantime - eventually I will likely end up with all three: Mamba 53, 70, BBS.

Thank for the link, great read! Even in that pic one can see that the Mamba has a slimmer top cap.

I agree with you in that I also think that the blade angle is what makes the Mamba, and in the BBS I would guess, a different/smoother shaving experience.

As I mentioned, I have a Mamba 70 incoming, so I'll share my impression once it arrives.
I'm also hoping to find a BBS in the meantime - eventually I will likely end up with all three: Mamba 53, 70, BBS.
Good luck. Happy shaves!

Mamba is currently sold out so you got the hardest part done. Get the BBS now and report back to us! 🤪🤪🤪😜

I’ve nicked my face and neck with the BBS more times than with the Mühle 2013-R41. A Mamba 53 is on its way to me from Southeastern Canada as this is typed (from a B&B member as opposed to the store in Ontario province).
That's interesting, it makes me even more curious to try the BBS :)
Please share when you've tried it!

In SR shaving, the goal is to get the blade to cut at the flattest angle, I am thinking with the way the BBS is designed, its probably one of the flattest (or THE flattest) a DE blade has been on my face with the safety bar still touching my face. Not sure if that is the trick or what but its been an interesting experience.

Anyone else compare these two razors? How did they fare for you?
I now have the BBS and did the first shave with it, which I posted here.
Having compared it with both the Mamba 53 and 70, I now completely agree about the significance of the blade angle for smooth shave.

If you have the BBS already, I wouldn't really go for the Mamba. I have the Mamba 70 and the BBS, as well as the BBS HA. I would say the BBS is much more efficient than the Mamba without being more aggressive. But if you like SUPER mild razors, then yeah, the Mamba is brilliant without being at all scary.
I concur about the BBS being more efficient while as smooth as the Mamba. I noted as much in my own review.

Top Bottom