What's new

The Ultimate Shaving Kit

I tried out the PAA and wow am impressed. Used just a tiny bit and it made more lather than I needed by far. Fluffy and slick.

It was a very noticeable difference in sickness from the Vander hagen. My skin has a nice feel after and it went even faster.
I think it will take me six months to get go through the sample size at this rate. Lol. Like omg I have soap for life already.

I think I may skip a scuttle cause I can't even use half the lather I make now and I am fond of my skull bowl.

Like that's where my anti hair pirates live arg matie.

I tried out the PAA and wow am impressed. Used just a tiny bit and it made more lather than I needed by far. Fluffy and slick.

It was a very noticeable difference in sickness from the Vander hagen. My skin has a nice feel after and it went even faster.
I think it will take me six months to get go through the sample size at this rate. Lol. Like omg I have soap for life already.

I think I may skip a scuttle cause I can't even use half the lather I make now and I am fond of my skull bowl.

I am glad to hear how this worked out, and that my internet is back.

I am not sure what size your sample is, but the one I have is a plastic container that I used up and refilled for travel. They sell them with their usual wacky labels as well.

There are scuttles in small sizes, but no need to rush when you like what you have. Time to turbo charge it, search for a thread by @Ron R about epoxying coins into the bottom. You can also go to a second hand store and find a used pot, even scratched, to put hot water in. Place your Pirate bowl in there while you are showering to keep your lather warm. ;)

I have a Georgetown Pottery Scuttle and I used it for a time because it held a brush well for soaking. I have two bowls since then. A Timeless plastic bowl that I use to soak my brush and dip the tips in while I make my lather, and, a Captain's Choice Copper Bowl that I use to lather every shave with now. I would actually like to PIF the Timeless bowl and get one of those PAA brush scuttles to replace it with. Maybe next month.

I have a Georgetown Pottery Scuttle and I used it for a time because it held a brush well for soaking. I have two bowls since then. A Timeless plastic bowl that I use to soak my brush and dip the tips in while I make my lather, and, a Captain's Choice Copper Bowl that I use to lather every shave with now. I would actually like to PIF the Timeless bowl and get one of those PAA brush scuttles to replace it with. Maybe next month.
It's my only scuttle and I just like how I can fill the inside with hot water and it keeps my lather warm. I don't care about it during the summer months, but warm lather sure makes my shave more enjoyable when the temperatures drop! I still use it during the summer because the ridges and bumps whip up such a perfect lather every time.

It's my only scuttle and I just like how I can fill the inside with hot water and it keeps my lather warm. I don't care about it during the summer months, but warm lather sure makes my shave more enjoyable when the temperatures drop! I still use it during the summer because the ridges and bumps whip up such a perfect lather every time.
Since I got my CC Copper bowl the scuttle has remained under the sink. Maybe I will pull it out once it gets cold, but, I much prefer lathering with the copper bowl. I never really noticed the difference in the temperature of my lather. It did keep the water I soaked my brush in relatively warm though which is why I want the brush scuttle from PAA. I don't have a lot of real estate in my bathroom, and, the GP scuttle takes up too much room and is unwieldy.

I decided to use fancy Olive oil on my legs as a pre shave then added PAA lather. Omg best idea ever and my skin is so so soft and not oily. The soap get the excess off but left perfect softness.

So I made a little jar for my kit.

Attachments

• 16367542792507514435832532282893.jpg
    16367542792507514435832532282893.jpg
    654.4 KB · Views: 8
I decided to use fancy Olive oil on my legs as a pre shave then added PAA lather. Omg best idea ever and my skin is so so soft and not oily. The soap get the excess off but left perfect softness.

So I made a little jar for my kit.
In case you are interested, also the hydrating gel is amazing

IMG_1602.jpeg

Removed link to product, just in case

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

10-27-20.PAA.Brush&Warmer.FullSide.640.JPG

These are to my eye kinda ugly, but they work extremely well as a brush warmer. (Good thing 'cause that's what they are.)

Just today I decided to add to my routine (as an experiment) an additional step, one which won't take any time at all.

Face lathering is immoral but I can't stop myself.480.jpg

I'm going to put my soaked brush in the brush warmer while I apply the Tube. That way the brush will be very warm before I load and lather it. Or, maybe I'll load the brush, put it in the brush warmer, apply the Tube, and then face lather.

I have several scuttles and such, but this is the one I use.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I changed bowls so a bigger embossed bowl and, now I am changing my mind. I think paying 10X the amount made me want to see a better result, but in actual testing meh.

Now that I am better at loading the brush and there is texture on the bottom of the bowl I am not only not seeing 10X the value, but seeing what many would consider better performance from the Vander Hagen soap.

The cream can clump and ride up the handle and I will have to use me finder to get it back in the bowl.

Also, is the lather really slicker? It isn't 10X slicker.

I may leave my face a bit more moisturized after, but that's what I hoard moisturizer for.
I can afford way more moisturizer if I spent $2.50 rather than $25

Still glad I spent the money on the razor.

Also, I tried cooking and yeah that sure helped.

Thanks for all the advice.

I think I might need a better brush cause I am using mine to death with all this science.

I haven't taken any picks, but omg I am getting so so so good at making lather. It's just so fun.

So I think I like soaps better than creams. Particularly if you are properly moisturizing anyway.
I have been totally convinced fancy isn't worth it. I want to try Mitchell's wool fat soap.

Have not been totally convinced. Is tallow so.much better?
The best answer is always try it for yourself so at least you have that experience as a reference.
The more complex answer has to do with super fatting in soap making.
Generally, the goal is for the soap not to dry out your skin. As others have pointed out if you use any product after the shave, tallow loses its advantage.

I changed bowls so a bigger embossed bowl and, now I am changing my mind. I think paying 10X the amount made me want to see a better result, but in actual testing meh.

Now that I am better at loading the brush and there is texture on the bottom of the bowl I am not only not seeing 10X the value, but seeing what many would consider better performance from the Vander Hagen soap.

The cream can clump and ride up the handle and I will have to use me finder to get it back in the bowl.

Also, is the lather really slicker? It isn't 10X slicker.

I may leave my face a bit more moisturized after, but that's what I hoard moisturizer for.
I can afford way more moisturizer if I spent $2.50 rather than $25

Still glad I spent the money on the razor.

Also, I tried cooking and yeah that sure helped.

Thanks for all the advice.

I think I might need a better brush cause I am using mine to death with all this science.

I haven't taken any picks, but omg I am getting so so so good at making lather. It's just so fun.
Glad to hear you are still having fun! Keep an eye out with upcoming sales for a brush, but maybe start narrowing down what you think you might want. There are plenty of options that are better than Vander Hagen without breaking the bank. I suspected you would get a better result with a bowl that has some kind of texture, but once again it is your journey.

So I think I like soaps better than creams. Particularly if you are properly moisturizing anyway.
I have been totally convinced fancy isn't worth it. I want to try Mitchell's wool fat soap.
Please consider Haslinger. It is made in Europe and doesn't have any problem ingredients. It's only $6 per puck. It is not the best, but this v3 is plenty slick. It is more of a low structure lather. I might know somebody that uses it for sensitive areas...

Glad to hear you are still having fun! Keep an eye out with upcoming sales for a brush, but maybe start narrowing down what you think you might want. There are plenty of options that are better than Vander Hagen without breaking the bank. I suspected you would get a better result with a bowl that has some kind of texture, but once again it is your journey.
Thank. Yeah texture made a huge difference with how the puck soap performed.

The cream still has a more silky lather texture. The soap has more a wiped egg whites texture.

Which isn't quite as good to apply, but looms so great as a photo.

Thank. Yeah texture made a huge difference with how the puck soap performed.

The cream still has a more silky lather texture. The soap has more a wiped egg whites texture.

Which isn't quite as good to apply, but looms so great as a photo.
That is what I originally was describing as high structure lather. It feels great, but it's not the best to shave with for some people. I have a tallow suggestion if you want it, otherwise do try my cheap recommendation. Especially now that you want silky texture. Also, remember I linked to a Peach scent cream some time ago...

That is what I originally was describing as high structure lather. It feels great, but it's not the best to shave with for some people. I have a tallow suggestion if you want it, otherwise do try my cheap recommendation. Especially now that you want silky texture.
All suggestions welcome! I am doing most research on Amazon, but obviously willing to buy from others. I have bought from west coast shaving, and PAA so far. Also, apparently there is a cute little place that carries some supplies here in Houston super close to me in Rice Village

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
There are plenty of good veggie soaps. Tallow soaps too. It's all about what works for you and what you like.

As the price goes up the quality may go up. (Never very seldom as much as the price.)

As the price goes up the quality may also stay the same or even go down.

A couple of soaps which I otherwise like a lot - not mentioning any names but MdC and MWF might be examples of this - are very drying to my skin. Other than that I like 'em a lot.

It's all about what works for you. Doesn't matter what someone else likes or uses or swears by.

There is oftentimes a huge confirmation bias induced by two things.
  1. I bought something that's the big rage right now and I can also chime in to say it's the bee's knees. I'm in with the in-crowd.
  2. I spent a ton of money on something that's great because it cost a lot of money. I'd sure feel stupid if I'd wasted my money so it's gotta be great. Trust me, it was worth the coin.
  3. Or, worse, both one and two.
Been there, done that. Sometimes more money gets you something great that improves your shaves. Sometimes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom