What's new

Best blade for mild Razor

Feather blades tend to be very sharp on the first shave then lose their edge quickly.

Nacets are very sharp and much more consistent on successive shaves. Also good value.

I think BIC might be even sharper than Feathers.

Blade variability is very real…and very annoying. My faves are Silver Blues, I have been very lucky to only have the occasional dud with a good rate exceeding 90%, and yes, I’m actually counting.

Voskhod was my number one until I started getting duds. 1 bad blade is bad enough but if you get 5 in a row, it’s easy to forget how great the last 25 were.

Nacet and Permasharp are great….when they aren’t duds. See the pattern here? And don’t even get me started on Feathers…got a coin to flip?

Blade variability is very real…and very annoying. My faves are Silver Blues, I have been very lucky to only have the occasional dud with a good rate exceeding 90%, and yes, I’m actually counting.

Voskhod was my number one until I started getting duds. 1 bad blade is bad enough but if you get 5 in a row, it’s easy to forget how great the last 25 were.

Nacet and Permasharp are great….when they aren’t duds. See the pattern here? And don’t even get me started on Feathers…got a coin to flip?
Yeah I am.startimg to think lack of consistency is a huge part of why we can't all agree.

Yeah I am.startimg to think lack of consistency is a huge part of why we can't all agree.

I agree completely.

Don’t get too caught up with blades, find a few you like and just be prepared for the occasional dud(s). From my experience, all blades from a tuck work pretty much the same. If the first blade you pull from a tuck of 5 is bad, it’s likely the remaining 4 will follow suit. Put that tuck aside and gift to someone you dislike.

Gillette 7 o'clock black and yellow are both pretty sharp. The black may be a little sharper than yellow, but I find the yellow to be more comfortable.

Some people would suggest that you keep the blades you don’t like now and retry them at a later date (like 6 months to a year) to see if your opinion on them has changed. I personally find that the Gillette silver blues are my favorite but I didn’t start using them until I had been using a DE razor for 6 months or so. Persona Israeli reds are a good blade if you can find them. Either the red pack (5 count) or the blue pack with the red and silver lettering (10 count). They’re now being made in Germany (blue with gold lettering). Both the astra stainless and platinum blades are good choices as well

Blade choice may be the most YMMV aspect of ‘traditional’ wet shaving.

That said, my ‘top tier’ in no particular order:
Polsilver SI (or Wizamet)
Personna lab (or med prep)
Personna red (Israeli)
GSB
Astra SP
Nacet

I suggest trying some of these.

I agree honestly, but I hate the first shave of a Feather blade. I love after, but don't like 1. That doesn't seen right. I wouldn't rather have perfect 1st then throw away
See my response to your other thread on blade sharpness. I experience the same thing with some of my blades. Suspect the cause is the process of wearing off the coatings from the blade edge during the first shave. Since you are not face shaving and have more real estate to cover surprised the blades don't smooth out part way during your first shave.

Regarding blades to try of the three brands I have in inventory the Dorco (ST300 or ST301 - same blade) and Astra SPs could be a possibility for you. My Dorco Primes (STP301 or STP300) exhibit a little first shave roughness (extra teflon coating) that then smooths out so they may not be a good fit for you.

I am an as-d2 owner with sensitive skin with rosacea. I am a daily shaver and tried several blades (near 10, including feather). the one gave me best result is Merkur blade. I do one pass shave for first 3 shaves and 2 pass shave from 4 to 12 with BBS each times. 2nd is Shark sc. Also i use proraso white cream and apply it with my fingers, i found as-d2 nead a thin layer of soap.

I use mild razors and the best sharpest blade I've been liking lately is the Nacet. The second best would be Gillette yellow. Both are better on my skin than a feather. I don't have your razor so I am not sure it will help you but in my razors, this has been the answer so far.

I have definitely gotten GSB duds that just felt dull.

Have you gotten Nacet duds? I thought I was imagining it. The duds for me feel harsher than the good ones.

Top Bottom