What's new

Finally graduated to OLD

I posted in the acquisition thread the new OLD type I acquired. I'm excited about my journey, so I wanted to share it here.
I've been very slow and methodical about how I approach DE shaving. I use one razor at a time, for an extended period, testing several blades with that razor and not skipping between one and another. When I feel I've gotten a good sense of the razor's finer points, and--just as important--adjusted my technique to best fit the razor, I move on to the next.
As it happens, I've mostly been working myself backward through time with vintage Gillettes. I'd been both excited and scared about the OLD, figuring it had the potential to give me either (or both) my best shaves or to tear up my face.
I've gotten comfortable with my NEW short comb, getting good shaves and even getting more uses per blade than I had in my Slim. I figured I was ready to try the OLD, staring with a couple passes and checking my face.
I loaded up a forgiving blade for me, a Voskhod, prepped and lathered as usual, and gave it a go. To my surprise, the shave was pretty mild. The WTG pass took off less hair than I'm used to. I think the XTG put me about where I'd expected. But no nicks at all yet. I really expected a bite or two, for the razor to punish my unfamiliarity with OLD technique. So I did an ATG pass (actually did some diagonal sorta-ATG mustache passes first). And it was fine! Didn't feel like I needed to hold back or go shallow anywhere (I use a steep angle). I had very few nicks, and those had disappeared by the time the shave ended.
Still a lot of learning to do, but to sum: the OLD was not at all scary. The teeth felt a little different than the SC, but nice. Overall, though, I mostly noticed the similarities to the NEW (and other razors) and not the differences. Maybe I was a little silly to approach the OLD with so much caution, but that's my personality.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I posted in the acquisition thread the new OLD type I acquired. I'm excited about my journey, so I wanted to share it here.
I've been very slow and methodical about how I approach DE shaving. I use one razor at a time, for an extended period, testing several blades with that razor and not skipping between one and another. When I feel I've gotten a good sense of the razor's finer points, and--just as important--adjusted my technique to best fit the razor, I move on to the next.
As it happens, I've mostly been working myself backward through time with vintage Gillettes. I'd been both excited and scared about the OLD, figuring it had the potential to give me either (or both) my best shaves or to tear up my face.
I've gotten comfortable with my NEW short comb, getting good shaves and even getting more uses per blade than I had in my Slim. I figured I was ready to try the OLD, staring with a couple passes and checking my face.
I loaded up a forgiving blade for me, a Voskhod, prepped and lathered as usual, and gave it a go. To my surprise, the shave was pretty mild. The WTG pass took off less hair than I'm used to. I think the XTG put me about where I'd expected. But no nicks at all yet. I really expected a bite or two, for the razor to punish my unfamiliarity with OLD technique. So I did an ATG pass (actually did some diagonal sorta-ATG mustache passes first). And it was fine! Didn't feel like I needed to hold back or go shallow anywhere (I use a steep angle). I had very few nicks, and those had disappeared by the time the shave ended.
Still a lot of learning to do, but to sum: the OLD was not at all scary. The teeth felt a little different than the SC, but nice. Overall, though, I mostly noticed the similarities to the NEW (and other razors) and not the differences. Maybe I was a little silly to approach the OLD with so much caution, but that's my personality.
Excellent report! Now you need to score a Gillette Bulldog. It combines the beauty of the barber pole handle with the shave of the Old. Get hunting!

^^^This^^^

I love my bulldog. It is gorgeous and feels substantial in the hand.
bulldog.jpg

Ha, I promised I would stop buying razors when I got my NEW SC ... it just so happened that it came with a "bonus" OLD type cap and guard that fits on the same handle. I don't think I'll escape detection in our tiny medicine cabinet if I buy a whole new Bulldog, beautiful though they be!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Ha, I promised I would stop buying razors when I got my NEW SC ... it just so happened that it came with a "bonus" OLD type cap and guard that fits on the same handle. I don't think I'll escape detection in our tiny medicine cabinet if I buy a whole new Bulldog, beautiful though they be!
Get her buy-in. Offer to let her use your New if you get a Bulldog. Power in Partnership!

I had to check back in today because I've just had my second shave with the OLD, again with the Voskhod, and I think it's the best shave I've ever had. My face is soft and smooth all over, and not a single nick, even a pinpoint one. I have an aftershave that likes to turn up the heat (Captain's Choice Cat-o-Nine-Tails) and it didn't even burn. Just unbelievable.
At this point in my small sample size, it feels like the OLD isn't as aggressive (or efficient, if you prefer, as both seem to apply) as my NEW SC. I may be realizing that it's possible to shave too closely; I've come to live with shaving off a few bumps of skin with my NEW and also pushed hairs out to shave beneath the skin (which irritates my skin when they grow back).
I do value close shaves because they have to last me two workdays, so we'll see how long this goes. I know that Voshkod isn't my sharpest blade. But wow, this feels great!

Top Bottom