What's new

Hello from Florida!

Thanks! I've only been here 2 years myself, moved here from Kansas City just before the world turned upside down. I was in KC for 9 years, which is the longest I've lived anywhere.
Yeah lived there as well, Grandview and Raytown areas of KCMO in the 70's, left in 81 when I joined the Army... Dad still lives in MO but he moved away from KC about 15 years ago. Family moved there when I was 9 and as soon as I turned 18 left.

Even had a summer job at 'Worlds of Fun' as a teenager, that amusement park still there?

Last edited:
Yeah lived there as well, Grandview and Raytown areas of KCMO in the 70's, left in 81 when I joined the Army... Dad still lives in MO but he moved away from KC about 15 years ago. Family moved there when I was 9 and as soon as I turned 18 left.

Even had a summer job at 'Worlds of Fun' as a teenager, that amusement park still there?
Yep, Worlds of Fun is still here.

Welcome to B&B. That's a great setup you have, with the Henson and that collection of classic blades. I never cared for Cremo. I'd suggest a shaving stick instead, Arko or Tabac, and an inexpensive brush.

I was in Shawnee on the KCK side. Yep, used to go to Worlds of Fun at least once a year, good times!

Welcome to B&B. That's a great setup you have, with the Henson and that collection of classic blades. I never cared for Cremo. I'd suggest a shaving stick instead, Arko or Tabac, and an inexpensive brush.
Thanks. Yeah, I'll probably give Arko a try. Mostly trying to work on my technique now - fewer weepers and missed areas - without adding something else to learn at the same time. From everything I've read, Cremo is among the best brushless creams, but even if it's no better than the Van Der Hagen, it's still a huge upgrade over that Gillette can in my picture.

On a side note, I wonder who the marketing genius was who not only got people to buy canned creams and switch from something better, but got a whole generation to think that that's the best you can do.

Thanks. Yeah, I'll probably give Arko a try. Mostly trying to work on my technique now - fewer weepers and missed areas - without adding something else to learn at the same time. From everything I've read, Cremo is among the best brushless creams, but even if it's no better than the Van Der Hagen, it's still a huge upgrade over that Gillette can in my picture.

On a side note, I wonder who the marketing genius was who not only got people to buy canned creams and switch from something better, but got a whole generation to think that that's the best you can do.
Welcome Koko the...I mean T bone...
I like the idea of using the Gel because it will be a consistent lather that does the job. When i first started using a DE razor I used a can of Gillette Foamy & if I had a bad shave I knew it was a case of bad technique not a bad lather.
I would probably order a cheap brush from china in the meanwhile and while you wait for that you can continue to use up your product and should hopefully improved the technique plus get a good deal on a brush.

Or just keep using brushless products as there are tons of fantastic options my favourite so far is the Pinaud Clubman barber cream.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Welcome @T Bone !
Lots of good advice has already been given here. The Gillette Sensor was my go to for MANY years! An excellent (in my opinion, best ever) cartridge shaving system.

Welcome Koko the...I mean T bone...
🤣🤣
I would probably order a cheap brush from china in the meanwhile and while you wait for that you can continue to use up your product and should hopefully improved the technique plus get a good deal on a brush.

Or just keep using brushless products as there are tons of fantastic options my favourite so far is the Pinaud Clubman barber cream.
Adding Pinaud Clubman to my rapidly growing list of things to buy. Says it can be used with or without a brush, so I could use it now and keep using it with a brush if I go that route.

Lots of good advice has already been given here. The Gillette Sensor was my go to for MANY years! An excellent (in my opinion, best ever) cartridge shaving system.
Sensor was the latest and (supposedly) greatest when I started shaving. 2 blades - lift and cut. Then came the Sensor Excel with "microfins", which sounded like pure gimmick, but I grudgingly decided it was actually better. Then came 3 (and eventually more) blades, and I thought if the first blade lifts and the second one cuts, then what the heck do I need a third blade for?!?

tl;dr: 30 year cartridge shaver until a few months ago. Using Henson AL-13 now. Still figuring things out.

Hello from Jacksonville, Florida, USA. I'm turning 50 soon but just started wet shaving a few months ago. Most of the last 30 or so years, I used a Gillette Sensor Excel twin blade. I used 2 different electrics at times, then when they broke, went back to my Sensor. I got what I think would be called a SAS, and that was fine. Then in August, I started looking into services like Harry's and Dollar, partly to upgrade my shave, but mostly to have blades delivered regularly. It had become impossible to find my blades in a supermarket or drug store anymore, so I'd end up having to order them.

While considering my options, I'm suddenly bombarded with all these online ads for safety razors. LOL, no thanks, those things are impossible to use without totally slicing up your face, right? But a couple of ads mentioned no plastic waste, which got my attention. So did cheap blades - no need for a shave club when a year+ supply of blades costs $10 and takes up hardly any drawer space. So I went down the rabbit hole of reviews and articles, looking for something easy for a cartridge user to transition to without doing too much damage to my face while learning, or adding too much time to my morning. I seriously considered Leaf and OneBlade, but settled on the jet black Henson AL-13.

I'm amazed at the difference - so much closer than the cartridge! I didn't dislike shaving before, but now I actually look forward to it. It feels great getting a smooth shave every time. I'm still using Gillette shave gel for the first pass - I can't bring myself to just pitch it, but it's the last can I'll ever buy. For XTG/ATG, I have some Van Der Hagen shave butter, which is better. Gonna try Cremo when that runs out, it seems very highly regarded for a brushless cream. (I'd rather not invest in a brush, bowl, and expensive cream, or the extra time it'd take to use them, but I suppose that could change - I never saw myself using a DE either.) For blades, I'm working through a sampler, but the early favorites are Voskhod and Shark. Whatever blade wins out, I plan to buy a few months supply and work on my technique without that variable. I still get tons of weepers, mostly in the moustache and chin, and occasional nicks. And I want to get better at areas I tend to miss - usually the same part of my neck but occasionally a couple other spots too. I want every shave to be BBS!!

Anyway, enough about me. Googling various razors/blades/creams invariably leads me here, so I figured I'd sign up and introduce myself, and thank everyone for the wealth of reviews and info I've already read.

My very humble set of supplies right now (go ahead and laugh at the canned gel 😆):
View attachment 1357585
T-Bone!

I’m curious, do you live in Del Bocca Vista? If you do, will you tell Morty I found his wallet please? 🤣. Oh and if Uncle Leo is there tell him I said, HELLO!

Oh the jokes will never end. You have such a choice name and avatar pic hahaha! Gets me every time.

I actually use the Nivea balm myself. I’ve had it for years! I never really used it that often, I typically used Brut due to the fact that it reminded me of my grandpa, but I’ve switched away from using it for now and sticking with the balm for post shave. Seems to be really good stuff. Doesn’t sting my face, leaves my face feeling nice and smooth and relaxed.

I had purchased a sampler pack when I started, very similar to the one you have there. The Sharks were crazy sharp when I tried them. This was back when I started shaving with DE though and I seemed to get a lot of cuts from them (weepers and nicks) I haven’t tried them in years but I want to give them another spin, I think my technique has gotten better over the years.

I definitely enjoyed Feathers, I’ve had them a few times and I really want to get more here soon, probably tomorrow on Black Friday, see if I can scoop up a deal somewhere. I’ve been primarily using Wilkinson Sword Classic’s for the past few years. I felt they gave me a pretty good close shave. Sharp but not overly sharp, that’s just my opinion and what has seemed to work for me, but being back researching and looking through the forum has definitely made me want to try so many more products and items 🤪

If I had the room in my bathroom I prob would have bought everything anyone has recommended already hahahaha!

T-Bone!

I’m curious, do you live in Del Bocca Vista? If you do, will you tell Morty I found his wallet please? 🤣. Oh and if Uncle Leo is there tell him I said, HELLO!

Oh the jokes will never end. You have such a choice name and avatar pic hahaha! Gets me every time.
Haha, I forgot about that Florida connection. Just googled it: "The show never confirms it's exact location, although a map seen on The Money suggests that the complex is located near St Augustine, FL." So... actually, yeah, I'm VERY close to Del Boca Vista! 😂🤣🤣

I actually use the Nivea balm myself. I’ve had it for years! I never really used it that often, I typically used Brut due to the fact that it reminded me of my grandpa, but I’ve switched away from using it for now and sticking with the balm for post shave. Seems to be really good stuff. Doesn’t sting my face, leaves my face feeling nice and smooth and relaxed.
I never used it before I started with the DE, but I've been very happy with it. I feel no need to experiment with any other aftershave.

I had purchased a sampler pack when I started, very similar to the one you have there. The Sharks were crazy sharp when I tried them. This was back when I started shaving with DE though and I seemed to get a lot of cuts from them (weepers and nicks) I haven’t tried them in years but I want to give them another spin, I think my technique has gotten better over the years.

I definitely enjoyed Feathers, I’ve had them a few times and I really want to get more here soon, probably tomorrow on Black Friday, see if I can scoop up a deal somewhere. I’ve been primarily using Wilkinson Sword Classic’s for the past few years. I felt they gave me a pretty good close shave. Sharp but not overly sharp, that’s just my opinion and what has seemed to work for me, but being back researching and looking through the forum has definitely made me want to try so many more products and items 🤪
Sharks and Voskhods gave me good shaves with the fewest weepers the first time through. I'm going through again and narrowing the field. I'd really like to try a whole range of blades eventually, but I think I'm going to settle on 1 and buy 100 just to be consistent for awhile, with a single brush and soap. Actually, I was looking at Mama Bear the other day - more expensive than Arko, but still not bad, and I haven't seen anyone say anything bad about it other than maybe a scent they didn't like - so maybe I'll get like 3 different scents, but it's still essentially the same soap.
If I had the room in my bathroom I prob would have bought everything anyone has recommended already hahahaha!
Yeah, I'm trying hard not to fall into that trap!!

Haha, I forgot about that Florida connection. Just googled it: "The show never confirms it's exact location, although a map seen on The Money suggests that the complex is located near St Augustine, FL." So... actually, yeah, I'm VERY close to Del Boca Vista! 😂🤣🤣

I never used it before I started with the DE, but I've been very happy with it. I feel no need to experiment with any other aftershave.

Sharks and Voskhods gave me good shaves with the fewest weepers the first time through. I'm going through again and narrowing the field. I'd really like to try a whole range of blades eventually, but I think I'm going to settle on 1 and buy 100 just to be consistent for awhile, with a single brush and soap. Actually, I was looking at Mama Bear the other day - more expensive than Arko, but still not bad, and I haven't seen anyone say anything bad about it other than maybe a scent they didn't like - so maybe I'll get like 3 different scents, but it's still essentially the same soap.

Yeah, I'm trying hard not to fall into that trap!!
I gotta say, the bug is biting me. I just gotta figure out a way to get all of these items into the bathroom without my wife noticing 😂

Top Bottom