What's new

How To Get The Best Performance From A Light Weight Razor?

This is all great information. Can you buy blanks still?

There is a U.S razor (can't recall the name) that is 'adjustable' but it comes with 3 plate heads? Seems a similar concept.

That's why this Forum is great. The members are so generous with their time and knowledge and give newcomers space to ask questions to improve and expand skils.

Much appreciated.

Rockwell and Karve are two Canadian makers with adjustable plates. Yates 921 is an American-made razor (Pennsylvania) with Mild, Heavy, and Extra Heavy plates. The Yates is my personal favorite.

I will be using this Tech Double Spiral of the 60's till at least the end of December, maybe into Jan 2022. It seems a good way to figure out a razor. I have been using the Kelvin DE89 since late July (when I started this journey) and I believe I have figured it pretty well. Using a razor/blade/soap combo consistently helps to get a good envelope of performance experience from a razor.

Obviously the Tech with aluminum handle was a success and sold well. So well there are many out there still to buy. A bad razor would have just been binned by owners, not held on to. And Gillette would have pulled it. So it shaves well. It must be angle and handle grip (as mentioned upthread) that has to mastered. The Tech head is an excellent challenge for a newbie to take on. It is a more complex head than I expected, to my pleasant surprise.

The shimming concept is great, and I will be experimenting with that! :)

I will be using this Tech Double Spiro 60's till at least the end of December, maybe into Jan 2022. It seems a good way to figure out a razor. I have been using the Kelvin DE89 since late July (when I started this journey) and I believe I have figured it pretty well. Using a razor/blade/soap combo consistently helps to get a good envelope of performance experience from a razor.

Obviously the Tech aluminum handle was a success and sold well. So well there are many out there still to buy. A bad razor would have just been binned. And Gillette would have pulled it. So it shaves well. It must be angle and handle grip (as mentioned upthread) that has to mastered. The Tech head is an excellent challenge for a newbie to take on. It is a more complex razor than I thought.

The shimming concept is great, and I will be experimenting with that! :)
You could put the Kelvin handle on the Tech head. Why not? 🤷‍♂️

You could put the Kelvin handle on the Tech head. Why not? 🤷‍♂️
Absolutely. Actually It balances fantastic with that fairly hefty little 3" EJ handle.

I am interested in figuring out the whole set up of a razor though as a start. Feels like I know the original razor as it came 'in the day' better. Just adds to the immersive/time travel experience which is part of the kick for me with vintages.

I plan on making it my travel razor for next years camping trips, so I feel I should figure it out. I want to bag the Razor Emporium canvas folding Military pouch with the S/S mirror to put it in.

After about Jan I have a real classic to start testing. My first U.S TTO from the golden age of Gillette. Really excited about that!

Around Dec on I will be adding more soaps, creams and starting on aftershaves and Alum from suggestions from a thread that people kindly suggested items from.

Mid 2022 I will be getting a Slim Adjustable. I hope. If I can find one for a decent price. I have no urge for the Gillette 195.

That is if I ain't dead by then ;)

I am interested in figuring out the whole set up of a razor though as a start. Feels like I know the original razor as it came 'in the day' better. Just adds to the immersive/time travel experience which is part of the kick for me with vintages.
This made me remember when I got my bullet tip. In order to really understand a vintage razor, I think you need a carbon blade. The reason I say this is not to make things more difficult for fun, it's because they require a different technique. That might be the missing piece behind why it worked back in the day.

This made me remember when I got my bullet tip. In order to really understand a vintage razor, I think you need a carbon blade. The reason I say this is not to make things more difficult for fun, it's because they require a different technique. That might be the missing piece behind why it worked back in the day.
That's a great observation. That would complete the 'experience'.

One would need to match up the razor with the blade that was was most likely, most commonly used with it. What was around at the time that is now available?

Are carbon blades still made by anyone? I would feel oddly guilty about buying vintage unopened blades and actually using them, those which would match up to the time period of the razor. Although Steve1989 off of YouTube buys rations from the 40's- 50's for mega bucks, and opens and consumes them, when safe and edible. And very entertaining and informative he is.

This idea deserves a whole new thread :)

I have used absolutely mint, sealed WWII blades and, more reasonable, Gillette Super Blue blades. They are a polymer coated carbon blade. What you want to get is Treet Falcon or Classic, they are the same blade. They don't really shave like a vintage blade though, they run them through the same process as their stainless blade supposedly. So, that leaves the Black Beauties. I wouldn't touch them, Super Blues are better. Treet has a least 2 others that are carbon, in fact there is a post entitled "any Treet fans?" I think.

Glad to see somebody else watches Steve, now we have something else in common. Wasn't that crazy the episode where he revealed the microscope?

Please do start another thread if you want. Maybe a discussion can get started about the historical aspect as well as the technique. :cuppa:

I have used absolutely mint, sealed WWII blades and, more reasonable, Gillette Super Blue blades. They are a polymer coated carbon blade. What you want to get is Treet Falcon or Classic, they are the same blade. They don't really shave like a vintage blade though, they run them through the same process as their stainless blade supposedly. So, that leaves the Black Beauties. I wouldn't touch them, Super Blues are better. Treet has a least 2 others that are carbon, in fact there is a post entitled "any Treet fans?" I think.

Glad to see somebody else watches Steve, now we have something else in common. Wasn't that crazy the episode where he revealed the microscope?

Please do start another thread if you want. Maybe a discussion can get started about the historical aspect as well as the technique. :cuppa:

:) He broke it out again this week after ages, checking out that British 24hr Far East Ration, packed November 1944. Hilarious lines, like looking at the service biscuit with the lemonade powder adhered on. 'Jeez is that a hair?' I disagree that it was the most advanced for 1945 though, the U.S K Ration was the most advanced in packaging and content, IMO.

Yes! It would make a good thread indeed. Love your initial blade thoughts as to contemporary relevance. How else can you truly judge a period razor without a matching blade in terms of composition, etc.

Nice. As Steve says :)

I do have some thoughts about how the razor might have worked at the time, but I will wait and save them. One thing to keep in mind though, some razors are mint, or at least saved, because they were no longer used and forgotten about. When the Wilkinson Sword blades hit the market in 65, I could see some razors getting put away as new shaving ease was being discovered.

I had planned to watch the latest video over dinner, as is my custom, a couple days ago. Thanks for reminding me.

I do have some thoughts about how the razor might have worked at the time, but I will wait and save them. One thing to keep in mind though, some razors are mint, or at least saved, because they were no longer used and forgotten about. When the Wilkinson Sword blades hit the market in 65, I could see some razors getting put away as new shaving ease was being discovered.

I had planned to watch the latest video over dinner, as is my custom, a couple days ago. Thanks for reminding me.
I started a new thread, on the blades forum. Just to see if anyone is interested.

Have you seen this thread, it looks like I was on to something with the short strokes?

37852138-2326-4906-B005-53E6B4CDFA83.jpeg
That's a great observation. That would complete the 'experience'.

One would need to match up the razor with the blade that was was most likely, most commonly used with it. What was around at the time that is now available?

Are carbon blades still made by anyone? I would feel oddly guilty about buying vintage unopened blades and actually using them, those which would match up to the time period of the razor. Although Steve1989 off of YouTube buys rations from the 40's- 50's for mega bucks, and opens and consumes them, when safe and edible. And very entertaining and informative he is.

This idea deserves a whole new thread :)
Treet (Pakistan) has 5-6 different carbon offerings. The blued „Black Beauties“ look cool but I prefer the Dura Sharps.
1B155099-A97B-44C2-8C9D-F982E47F754D.jpeg

Top Bottom