What's new

Have i found the perfect razor?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The Feather ASD2 is a beautiful, well made, precisely engineered, high quality razor. In my experience with it, it works much better with the Feather blade than with any other blade. The pairing is not accidental.

I say that knowing Feather blades do not work for me. They give me good shaves, but I find my skin irritated post shave. I no longer use Feather blades at all. (The only DE blades I use at all are Polsilver SI and Wizamet SI.)

Because of that Feather blade issue I don't use my ASD2 anymore. I am holding onto it for mysterious reasons.

I'd say this to you, @Oliviamaynard, if you've found a razor you think perfect, stick with it. Many of us have tried hundreds of razors and are still looking for the perfect blade holder.

Nothing wrong with collecting razors of course. Nothing wrong with being a hobbyist either. Nothing wrong either with owning just that one perfect razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The Feather ASD2 is a beautiful, well made, precisely engineered, high quality razor. In my experience with it, it works much better with the Feather blade than with any other blade. The pairing is not accidental.

I say that knowing Feather blades do not work for me. They give me good shaves, but I find my skin irritated post shave. I no longer use Feather blades at all. (The only DE blades I use at all are Polsilver SI and Wizamet SI.)

Because of that Feather blade issue I don't use my ASD2 anymore. I am holding onto it for mysterious reasons.

I'd say this to you, @Oliviamaynard, if you've found a razor you think perfect, stick with it. Many of us have tried hundreds of razors and are still looking for the perfect blade holder.

Nothing wrong with collecting razors of course. Nothing wrong with being a hobbyist either. Nothing wrong either with owning just that one perfect razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thanks fornthe advice. Yeah I think I found the perfect one. As for irritation and feather blades. I found using even less pressure is key. I just let the weight of the razor be the only force. Still cuts rigjt through plus I can go faster in the shower.

I like to collect things and may just review stuff I get in comparison. Also, get a boyfriend who can be obsessed with me and review based on how his face feels.

They named it "Coochie"?! Really?

Anyway, since you've found a razor and blade combo that works for you maybe you can experiment with soaps and brushes? Lathering a good soap is my favorite part. A decent soap is just as important as a decent razor. Maybe Pure Romance has a soap named "Snatch" to go with their cream.

Anyway, since you've found a razor and blade combo that works for you maybe you can experiment with soaps and brushes? Lathering a good soap is my favorite part. A decent soap is just as important as a decent razor. Maybe Pure Romance has a soap named "Snatch" to go with their cream.
Yeah they named it coochy. Lol thats its biggest selling weakness as it's a truly great product.
Yeah to try something new I ordered a shave cream fro. Phoenix artist products to see if that is even better.
I did get a brush and a cheap Vander hagen soap and have gotten good at making lather.
I use the coochy in a small dab as like a pre shave and put later over top. Truly amazing so I can't wait to try good soap!

This hobby is fun. I am glad I just bought the fancy one first, but I would t get to collect millions.

I'd like to recommend a Yaqi Sagrada Familia brush. They're only, like, 14 bucks and are excellent. Very soft. I think you'll like it.

If you want to try some good inexpensive soaps you can get Cella green for ten bucks or a tub of Stirling soap for 14 bucks in any scent you can think of. You'll love it.
Thank you. I think this is going to be a fun hobby to try products and write reviews. I love to do that.

Post-war tech shaves exactly like the AS-D2 for me.
Pre-war Techs have triangular lather holes in the baseplate; the post-war version has oblong lather holes.

Post-war tech shaves exactly like the AS-D2 for me.
Pre-war Techs have triangular lather holes in the baseplate; the post-war version has oblong lather holes.
I think the holes on the baseplate are so perfect. If I am quickly shavimg a place i.cant see I can guide the angle by just one finger on one. I can do this cause the handle is so grippy.
I very much care about grippy handle.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Congratulations on finding true love.

AS-D2 was one of the few top modern DE razors in the world around 2010.
At that time, many people cheered for its quality and material, and were surprised at the high price.

In the past decade, many more delicate and more expensive razors have been born in the world; but AS-D2 is still a proud and beautiful samurai, and it is the only hi end DE razor made in Japan.

Many people say it is "gentle", but it is more suitable to say that it needs "stable hands" and "precise angles" to show high efficiency. Congratulations on your superb swordsmanship.

Love my AS-D2.

Last edited:
Congratulations on finding true love.

AS-D2 was one of the few top modern DE razors in the world around 2010.
At that time, many people cheered for its quality and material, and were surprised at the high price.

In the past decade, many more delicate and more expensive razors have been born in the world; but AS-D2 is still a proud and beautiful samurai, and it is the only hi end DE razor made in Japan.

Many people say it is "gentle", but it is more suitable to say that it needs "stable hands" and "precise angles" to show high efficiency. Congratulations on your superb swordsmanship.

Love my AS-D2.
In Japan they are too busy making the world's finest AC replaceable blade straight razors to worry about something as mundane as a DE.
Jus' sayin'.

Still learning how to post. So this is definitely going to still be an addiction. So I was reading an interview with Above the Tie here and they seemed nice so I went to the site, and the very fist thing I see I absolutely must have. It's the thing I regret not getting with the original razor. The stainless steel stand! Except the one from. Thw site seems even cooler. I mean what's $65 dollars for a stand right?

Should I buy it? Hmmmmmm seems perfect.

Still learning how to post. So this is definitely going to still be an addiction. So I was reading an interview with Above the Tie here and they seemed nice so I went to the site, and the very fist thing I see I absolutely must have. It's the thing I regret not getting with the original razor. The stainless steel stand! Except the one from. Thw site seems even cooler. I mean what's $65 dollars for a stand right?

If you go to Jatai.net which are the official distributors you can send them a message to request to purchase the Feather stand. I think it’s about $70.

I am literally hyperventilating right now!

That might be a bit much to start? I bought a handmade one from Etsy for $35. I haven't checked the one you are looking at, but not all handles are the same diameter.

Edit: checked, hole diameter not specified. If you want to spend the money, go for the one to fit the razor. Otherwise, there are a lot of stands that hold both the razor and the brush. I do have one stand like you are looking at, but it came with a custom handle I bought.

Edit dos: these are available in chrome and gold as well, down below on the page

Last edited:
That might be a bit much to start? I bought a handmade one from Etsy for $35. I haven't checked the one you are looking at, but not all handles are the same diameter.

Edit: checked, hole diameter not specified. If you want to spend the money, go for the one to fit the razor. Otherwise, there are a lot of stands that hold both the razor and the brush. I do have one stand like you are looking at, but it came with a custom handle I bought.
I didn't want to violate etiquette by linking even though they did an interview. Which makes me think it would be ok.

Top Bottom