What's new

Restart, second shave

Second shave restart.

I payed extra attention to the beard shave, doing wtg and atg. A few patches and one tiny weeper.
This was due to my 60 year old skin, I think. All in all a very good shave.

The headshave didn't draw any blood. I am getting a little more used to starting with wtg before atg, bacause I never shaved my head wtg before this restart. I had to make the DLC and the Gillette Platinum work pretty hard, compared to the BIC I used often. But the combination worked good. This blade must be very forgiving, because I felt I made a few mistakes, but not even a scratch.

FYI: I used the Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite soap and AS again. Love them both.
Today, I used a bowl for the first time. A german copy of the blue US ceramic bowl with the loops at the bottom. Very, very surprised how much better the soap lathers in this bowl. Really happy with it.
And, off course, I enjoyed my after shave smoke in the garden 😇

Two passes, WTG with the grain, XTG across the grain is basically all I do anymore. No more masochistic three pass or ATG for me anymore! ABBS (ALMOST Baby Butt Smooth) is good enough for me... and for my lovely wife.

Two passes, WTG with the grain, XTG across the grain is basically all I do anymore. No more masochistic three pass or ATG for me anymore! ABBS (ALMOST Baby Butt Smooth) is good enough for me... and for my lovely wife.
Still learning, I guess I will develop my own style in the future. That said: the three direction shave gives me a better shave on the beard, although my 60 year old skin poses issues, being pretty loose.
The head shave is a different matter. So far my old style (only atg) gives me a better result than the technique (wtg, xtg, atg) my tutors on this forum forced upon me. I am curious what I think after the four weeks of technique practicing with the same technique, razor and blades. Enjoying every second, though.

Restart: third shave. Revenge of the bump.

I changed the Gillette Platinum in both razors, since the second head shave made the DLC work harder. Surprised this blade did not last longer.
The beard shave was very good. One nick on a flapping part of my cheekmeat, a leftover from Bells' disease, which left my face a little crooked.

The head shave was as bold as this blade can perform. I am getting the hang of wtg plus xtg. Wtg takes practice and some yoga-esque movement with the arm.
When I was almost done I felt a patch just above my neck. There was hardly any lather left, but I got careless and shaved the patch anyway. So I cut myself. Not just any spot. I cut a little hard bump that has been there for decades. I never take notice of it, but yesterday I was rubbing it and thought: this a useless, annoying bump. I regret it now.
My lesson: keep lathering, don't become careless..... and never, ever insult a bump.

Ouch! :eek2: Yes, no matter how long you are at this, being present in the shave is important. Let your mind wander a bit and, well, you know!
I was tired yesterday and occupied with some problem at work. This passion forces me to become and stay Zen during the shave. Painfull lesson 🥴

Restart: fourth shave.

Today, the Muehle R41 explained to me what happens if I treat it like a mild razor.
I discovered you need many different techniques. Cheek and Adam's Apple demand a very different approach. I think older, floppy skin requires an extra carefull focus. Two small nicks.

I change the GP now every head shave. Nice wtg and solid atg, although I am now convinced the BIC blades cut deaper. After each shave I can still see a faint dark glow. With the BIC blades my dome looks like a pool ball.

Am enjoying cleaning everything too now. Only after that the ritual is finished.
Have a fantastic sunday, shavers 👍🏽

Restart, fifth shave.

This is a good day for me. The penny, or a penny dropped.
I will not get into the beard shave, I will be posting a thread about that.

Todays joy came during my head shave, when I decided to use long xtg strokes, after the wtg. Suddenly I felt the DLC Yaqi fly over my skull. I remembered not to apply pressure. It was as if the razor was dancing with my fingers. And what a very good shave this was. Best shave since my 4 weeks apprenticeship started.
This regime of 4 weeks, no changes in razor and blade, is paying off hugely.

Thank you, tutors, for your sound advice 👏🏼

Second shave restart.

I payed extra attention to the beard shave, doing wtg and atg. A few patches and one tiny weeper.
This was due to my 60 year old skin, I think. All in all a very good shave.
And, off course, I enjoyed my after shave smoke in the garden 😇

Enjoy. I didn't start wetshaving until I was 63. I no longer smoke, but in a couple years, you could be enjoying a few G&Ts before the shave like I do.

Enjoy. I didn't start wetshaving until I was 63. I no longer smoke, but in a couple years, you could be enjoying a few G&Ts before the shave like I do.
Alcohol and me are dangerous bedfellows. I quit drinking this summer. Drank red wine every night. Not for the taste, just for the effect. Combined it with homegrown pot too. I was done feeling tired every morning. Guess I was lucky: no craving at all. Superfit now. Early sleeper, jumping out of bed at 6 o'clock sharp, even on sundays. Maybe I'll quit cigarettes too and join the pipe brotherhood. Cheers, anyway 🥃

Restart, 6th shave.

Beard shave was quite good, a small weeper close to my Adams' Apple. Need to work on shaving the flappy old skin in that area.

Headshave was excellent, pool ball. Getting used to longer passes. Forgot my urge to get BBS with my usual one stroke (atg). WTG and XTG give me excellent result, with much less skin damage.

Used the compulsory same razors, Meuhle R41 and DLC Yaqi and the Gillette Platinum.
I changed the soap. Two shaves with the Razorock xxx turned out unsatisfactory, even after the advice I got. Gave the Hasslinger Schafmilch a chance. It was good, especially for my skin after the shave. Did not glide as good as the Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite, though.

Overall very satisfied with my improving technique.

Welcome Jack. It sound like you are making great progress.
I am a newbie too, and the same age. I have done over 2 months with an EJ 89 short handle. I feel confident with it now, and I can always get a DFS, and sometimes, a BBS. It varies according to lather consistency, which I have not really dialled in, and other subtle things I have maybe not registered yet.

Now I am going to master the Gillette Tech head. I had a first shave with another I just picked up. I have 2, don't ask :) It was like the first shave with the 89. So each razor has very different characteristics. You have to get familiar with each one and it's character and behaviour. It's like being a test pilot with some crazy early 50's jet. But not so dangerous. Or glamourous. So I will be sticking with the Tech for the next few weeks to figure it out.

Happy shaving! See you around.

Welcome Jack. It sound like you are making great progress.
I am a newbie too, and the same age. I have done over 2 months with an EJ 89 short handle. I feel confident with it now, and I can always get a DFS, and sometimes, a BBS. It varies according to lather consistency, which I have not really dialled in, and other subtle things I have maybe not registered yet.

Now I am going to master the Gillette Tech head. I had a first shave with another I just picked up. I have 2, don't ask :) It was like the first shave with the 89. So each razor has very different characteristics. You have to get familiar with each one and it's character and behaviour. It's like being a test pilot with some crazy early 50's jet. But not so dangerous. Or glamourous. So I will be sticking with the Tech for the next few weeks to figure it out.

Happy shaving! See you around.
Thank you for the info and friendly words.
Never thought something as trivial as shaving could become a true passion...

Thank you for the info and friendly words.
Never thought something as trivial as shaving could become a true passion...
You are welcome Jack.

Yeah I thought that too, still do. For me, it helps me to relax, helps me to concentrate, gives a little ritual, something to look forward to. I like learning the techniques. And I love retro stuff, and the older ways, and the pop culture of the past, and it all kind of comes together in my mind.

Plus there are some fantastic people you get to know, especially on here. It's a great place.

Just would have preferred to had started when I was 16, not 60.

Last edited:
Top Bottom