What's new

To Saponificio Varesino: "Your Majesty, please accept my apologies"

@Marco as always was right. I've had a great shave today with SV Manna di Sicilia 4.3 using the foolproof lather method and my reliable Muhle STF M brush.

Very good lather, slick and protective. Worked the soap for a long time, adding a little water each time. Much better than the foamy sudsy lather I was getting with my normal technique. This Beta 4.3 requires water to be added little by little.

Is SV the best shaving soap in the world? I don't know. On par with my favorite soaps? Definitely!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
"Marco, how do you really consider SV when you compare it to other top quality soaps?". Well, this question has been asked me quite often in these days. I do answer with an erudite latin quote: Saponificio Varesino for me simply is "primus inter pares".

I completed two shaves with Cella Extra Extra Bio and Cella Extra Extra Puríssima after my shave on Wednesday with SV.

“Da buon milanese”, I have to say that the king of Varese is fantastic, but the crown still remains with the duke of Milano 😃 - even if only for nostalgic reasons

I completed two shaves with Cella Extra Extra Bio and Cella Extra Extra Puríssima after my shave on Wednesday with SV.

“Da buon milanese”, I have to say that the king of Varese is fantastic, but the crown still remains with the duke of Milano 😃 - even if only for nostalgic reasons
What the ? I understood correctly? Would you choose Cella before SV? If so, we hope Cella won't hear. I do not want to increase the prices at Cella 4 times.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Yes, sir. Always! As I said, SV is great, but Cella is indispensable for me

SV and Cella are both Absolute Top Tier soaps. I'd say totally different in everything: scent, consistency, formula, packaging and price point. That said, both brands have a permanent spot in my den because both are SUPERIOR performers. Or, if you prefer, Italian quality at its very best. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I'm really keen on adding SV to my den, but the price is so high when I checked. Is there anything better than $40-$50 in the US for a brand new puck?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Gifts and Care is offering 15% off as I type this. Pasteur had about that much off for a recent holiday. Can’t predict which sellers will have Black Friday sales

I got some from shaving dot ie for substantially less than the US shops offer. Their prices were better than the normal prices at Gifts and Care, but with the latter having a discount that might not be the case.

I'm really keen on adding SV to my den, but the price is so high when I checked. Is there anything better than $40-$50 in the US for a brand new puck?
I just scored a puck of SV Tundra Artica scent for $30 Canadian. (that is approx. $23 US) from Top of The Chain. They have it on sale. I expect it to arrive next week.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I just scored a puck of SV Tundra Artica scent for $30 Canadian. (that is approx. $23 US) from Top of The Chain. They have it on sale. I expect it to arrive next week.

If it's the Beta 4.3 version you got it at an excellent price, Sir.

SV and Cella are both Absolute Top Tier soaps. I'd say totally different in everything: scent, consistency, formula, packaging and price point. That said, both brands have a permanent spot in my den because both are SUPERIOR performers. Or, if you prefer, Italian quality at its very best. :thumbup:
G’day… Is SV soap hard like triple mill or cropped soft like Cella in a red tub???

I’ve never tried SV shaving soaps, I do have the Cella red tub.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
G’day… Is SV soap hard like triple mill or cropped soft like Cella in a red tub???

I’ve never tried SV shaving soaps, I do have the Cella red tub.
Triple milled, Sir. And of the very highest quality.

At that price i would not buy it. You have grate American artisan soaps that perform just as well, like A & E and other good alternatives. I live in Europe, so for me the price of SV soaps are ok.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
And which SV scent do you recommend for all year round, I'm glad SV is a triple-milled :thumbup:

Of those I've tested so far Desert Vetiver Beta 4.3 is my favourite, both in terms of performance and scent. For Christmas I desire to treat myself with Manna di Sicilia Beta 4.3, which is a soap I've been desiring to try for a long time.

Of those I've tested so far Desert Vetiver Beta 4.3 is my favourite, both in terms of performance and scent. For Christmas I desire to treat myself with Manna di Sicilia Beta 4.3, which is a soap I've been desiring to try for a long time.
Thank you for you're feedback, I've added both soaps to my wet shaving shopping list for next year :thumbup:

Top Bottom