What's new

Feather Artist SR vs. DX. Which is best for the closest shave?

I started using the Feather SR a few months ago and am finally getting some good shaves. I got some great advice on the forums, I've been wet shaving for some time and thought I'd try out a shavette prior to a straight razor. I'd like to try out the Proline P30 blades and would appreciate someone to let me know a source. I don't see them online.

Gary
Here is one

Got the DX today. I hopped in the shower then did a fresh shave this morning. The DX dedinitely shaves a bit closer than the SS due to the thinner lip and more blade exposure. It was exactly what I hoped for

Though it was much lighter than I thought ot would be. Im using this razor primarily for head shaving with face shaving as a secondary use . I am able to get a very close shave with the DX and SS for face shaving.

But the SS is easier to wield and maneuver during face shaving due to how light it is. Either the DX or SS is great for face shaving. But I am keeping the DX since it is more versatile for head and face shaving.

Placing the SS for sale today.

One additional question. Has anyone tried a Feather AC DX kamisori clone? If so do theu cut as close as the real thing? I ask because my Futur clone shaves closer than my real Futur.

Would something like this be considered a dx clone?

Im looking for a clone with a thin lip like the dx for maximum blade exposure.

One additional question. Has anyone tried a Feather AC DX kamisori clone? If so do theu cut as close as the real thing? I ask because my Futur clone shaves closer than my real Futur.

Would something like this be considered a dx clone?

Im looking for a clone with a thin lip like the dx for maximum blade exposure.
The CJB (GR-100B) and Kai Captain (and older Excelia) have a similar profile to the Feather DX. I would not rate them as shaving any closer, but roughly the same. Since all three kamisoris provide an open blade with similar blade exposure.

The link above was for the Feather SS which is definitely a different tool, a milder shaver in comparison.

I took the advice from one of the previous posters in this thread and I purchased a set of Shick Proline P30 blades. I must say they are amazingly smooth and seem every bit as sharp as Feather Artist Super blades.

I just got a CJB which I guess is pretty similar to the DX kamisori. First shave with a Feather AC Pro was uneventful. Did my usual 3 passes. Generally slightly closer than all but my best straights, with the exception of a few spots under the jawline where the shorter blade allowed me to get a true ATG pass. The Feather blade is marginally sharper than my best Method edges which made shaving the chin (my coarsest and most dense whiskers) a little easier. It didn't feel like a harsh shave but there was a little more AS burn than usual. I also have a box of Kai mild blades to try. Mostly I'm interested in how long the edge will last as I am looking for a solution for my nephew who is a head shaver.

How do you guys store these in between shaves? I wasn't planning on removing the blade but when I was wiping the razor off with a towel I mistakenly squeezed it and popped the head off. So I just cleaned everything up and then flipped the blade around so the edge was facing in and reassembled. Not sure if that's a good idea or not.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
How do you guys store these in between shaves?

I tend to be a bit fussy, so factor that in. I usually take out the blade, gently disassemble the head, rinse everything well, and then put it on a dry towel to air-dry. If I'm not going to use it for a while, I put the razor together sans blade and put it away in the drawer where it goes.

Not so necessary with a stainless razor like the SR, I suppose, but I learned it using Zamak razors and it just seemed like a good idea.

O.H.

I tend to be a bit fussy, so factor that in. I usually take out the blade, gently disassemble the head, rinse everything well, and then put it on a dry towel to air-dry. If I'm not going to use it for a while, I put the razor together sans blade and put it away in the drawer where it goes.

Not so necessary with a stainless razor like the SR, I suppose, but I learned it using Zamak razors and it just seemed like a good idea.

O.H.
Where do you keep the blade, assuming you're going to use it again?

How do you guys store these in between shaves? I wasn't planning on removing the blade but when I was wiping the razor off with a towel I mistakenly squeezed it and popped the head off. So I just cleaned everything up and then flipped the blade around so the edge was facing in and reassembled. Not sure if that's a good idea or not.
I leave the blade installed and rinse the razor while paying careful attention to that gap where the blade exits the holder to make sure there is no residual soap left behind in that groove. Then dry the razor's face and then strop it on a towel to remove any water that remains on the blade. I think this method can sometimes leave tiny water droplets behind, but I am too lazy to take it apart or go further.

I store the razor as-is in a drawer when in rotation. I folded some pasteboard to make a scabbard in order to store when in close proximity to other razors, to keep the blade from bumping against other things, but that effort looked as bad as it sounds.

I never use the same razor blade twice. That is a recipe for bleeding in my book. I make sure I stay stocked up and buy new razor blades every 60 days.

I just got a CJB which I guess is pretty similar to the DX kamisori. First shave with a Feather AC Pro was uneventful. Did my usual 3 passes. Generally slightly closer than all but my best straights, with the exception of a few spots under the jawline where the shorter blade allowed me to get a true ATG pass. The Feather blade is marginally sharper than my best Method edges which made shaving the chin (my coarsest and most dense whiskers) a little easier. It didn't feel like a harsh shave but there was a little more AS burn than usual. I also have a box of Kai mild blades to try. Mostly I'm interested in how long the edge will last as I am looking for a solution for my nephew who is a head shaver.

Does the DX and SS have a plastic cover for storing in between uses.

The DX and SS have a plastic cover for storing in between uses.

Quote Reply

And it appears I spoke too soon on the Shick P30 blades They are a smooth blade but they do not shave as close as feather artist pro super blades.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Where do you keep the blade, assuming you're going to use it again?

I tend to use any particular razor until I'm ready to bin the blade. For Gem and DE that's usually six shaves, for 1/2 DE in a shavette it's about three shaves, and for AC format it can go nine or 10 shaves before I'm not so pleased with it. If I decide to change razors, I'll usually stay in the same format so I can "use up" the blade and get it in the bin.

I leave the blade on a washcloth on the counter. During some of our shaving special events such as SEptember or SLANTember or OCtober I'll occasionally have three different blade formats in play (DE, Gem, AC). That can look a little busy but it's temporary.

O.H.

I never bother cleaning until I change a blade. After a shave I just leave the razor open a little so the blade holder can dry out.

My Feather clone is used almost daily: I'd probably want to clean between shaves if it was only occasional use.

I've never mastered head shaves with a straight. Works great for a rough first pass through longer growth but I find I have to finish with a DE.

A Schick Proline will last me 20 or so shaves.

I have all the Feather razors and the SR is the perfect compromise between the SS and the DX. It has the weight of the DX which
I like and feels more like a straight razor in the way you hold it. It isn't has harsh as the DX. I have used the Pro Guard, Pro, Super Pro and Kai mild blades and I find the Pro and the Kai to give very close, irritation free shaves. This will depend on your shaving techniques and the soap, cream and pre shave prep. I have also used Kai razors and prefer the SR overall.

Top Bottom