What's new

The State Of The Shave for one curmudgenly shaver, six years in

Six years ago today I joined B&B. I started my wet shave journey just before or after that date. This was my second foray into traditional shaving. My parents bought me a Gillette Slim Adjustable when I first started to shave in the late 60s. I wish I could find that razor! Somewhere along the line I got a Trac II then grew a beard. Maybe the beard came first. I subsisted on various disposables through the intervening years.

When I went back to the traditional shave I went in big time! I started using every vintage razor I could find in the wild along with a variety of blades. Soon I realized I wasn't learning anything so I picked my NEW Short Comb and I believe 7-O'clock Yellow blades and stuck with them until I had the basis of a technique. For any new shavers reading this sticking with one blade and razor combination helps you grow!

In the intervening years I tried lots of products but over time I've simplified my shaving life greatly. I used to do three passes but trained myself to get by with two. This didn't happen overnight but took lots of experimentation and practice. Likewise I ditched the lather bowl and started face lathering. I loosely follow the "Marco Method". When I say loosely I mean that I start out following Marco's recommendations for building lather but my general laziness creeps in and I sometimes skip a step. As long as my face is nice and wet and the lather properly hydrated I'm good.

Almost all of my razors are vintage ones that I find in antique shops and flea markets. Staying away from auctions helps keep the acquisition syndrome in check. I don't buy high dollar stainless steel razors. Make no mistake I'm glad that people make such beautiful products and that they have happy customers. Anything that helps this community grow is a good thing! I just get great shaves from my vintage razors and don't like to spend a lot on one product. Likewise, and this is embarrassing, I use the same boar brush every day. Hey, if it works... Likewise I tend to use my soaps up before I buy new ones. I may have to stray since I'm getting tired of the one I'm using now, and I bought two pucks.

I used to think I was chosen by The Veg until my wife informed me otherwise, in on uncertain terms. Lately heavy scents irritate my nose so I rinse with cold water and I'm done. I'm such a bad consumer. I bought two 100-packs of my favorite blades and I'm slowly using them up, 6-10 shaves at a time. Truthfully I do get curious from time to time so I occasionally buy a sample pack of blades just to try them. You might say I was cheap, and you would be right!

So what advice would I give a new shaver? Well, first of all have fun! If you are here you may already know that. Second, stick with a product or piece of hardware long enough to find it's idiosyncrasies. Every razor requires subtle changes to your technique. After a while you can do this by feel, but starting out, stick with one and try different angles, shaving direction etc. You will get to the point you think you have it right, but after a year or so you'll find a better way. There are lots of blades out there but the top tier brands all shave just as well, though they may feel different. Speaking of blades, I always find that the first shave or two with a new blade is the roughest. Once it gets smoothed out its good for many more.

Any specific advice would only apply to my face and my beard. You have to find what works for you. Again, have fun! Shaving doesn't have to be a chore.

Excellent post. Your absolutely correct a shave can be something to look forward to, instead of the daily chore.
Happy B&B Shaveversary.
Enjoy your shaves.

p.s. You’ve sparked my curiosity. What’s your workhorse Boar brush?

Excellent post. Your absolutely correct a shave can be something to look forward to, instead of the daily chore.
Happy B&B Shaveversary.
Enjoy your shaves.

p.s. You’ve sparked my curiosity. What’s your workhorse Boar brush?
Thanks Tim! My boar brush is a Semogue 1470 with a beechwood handle. This one seems a little more sturdy than the Omegas I've tried. It's a great brush soft but good stiffness. It worked right out of the box with no break in required.

Great write-up of your experience. I appreciate you taking the time to share. I'm just restarting my journey and am enjoying all the variety and, as you mentioned, idiosyncrasies of the many (inexpensive) razors I now own. I have just gone through a pretty prolific acquisition phase and am now going to enjoy what I have before buying more. I think if I can find a few good shavers that suit me in each category, I can get rid of the ones I like less and then be satisfied with that gear. That's the plan at least.

Six years ago today I joined B&B. I started my wet shave journey just before or after that date. This was my second foray into traditional shaving. My parents bought me a Gillette Slim Adjustable when I first started to shave in the late 60s. I wish I could find that razor! Somewhere along the line I got a Trac II then grew a beard. Maybe the beard came first. I subsisted on various disposables through the intervening years.

When I went back to the traditional shave I went in big time! I started using every vintage razor I could find in the wild along with a variety of blades. Soon I realized I wasn't learning anything so I picked my NEW Short Comb and I believe 7-O'clock Yellow blades and stuck with them until I had the basis of a technique. For any new shavers reading this sticking with one blade and razor combination helps you grow!

In the intervening years I tried lots of products but over time I've simplified my shaving life greatly. I used to do three passes but trained myself to get by with two. This didn't happen overnight but took lots of experimentation and practice. Likewise I ditched the lather bowl and started face lathering. I loosely follow the "Marco Method". When I say loosely I mean that I start out following Marco's recommendations for building lather but my general laziness creeps in and I sometimes skip a step. As long as my face is nice and wet and the lather properly hydrated I'm good.

Almost all of my razors are vintage ones that I find in antique shops and flea markets. Staying away from auctions helps keep the acquisition syndrome in check. I don't buy high dollar stainless steel razors. Make no mistake I'm glad that people make such beautiful products and that they have happy customers. Anything that helps this community grow is a good thing! I just get great shaves from my vintage razors and don't like to spend a lot on one product. Likewise, and this is embarrassing, I use the same boar brush every day. Hey, if it works... Likewise I tend to use my soaps up before I buy new ones. I may have to stray since I'm getting tired of the one I'm using now, and I bought two pucks.

I used to think I was chosen by The Veg until my wife informed me otherwise, in on uncertain terms. Lately heavy scents irritate my nose so I rinse with cold water and I'm done. I'm such a bad consumer. I bought two 100-packs of my favorite blades and I'm slowly using them up, 6-10 shaves at a time. Truthfully I do get curious from time to time so I occasionally buy a sample pack of blades just to try them. You might say I was cheap, and you would be right!

So what advice would I give a new shaver? Well, first of all have fun! If you are here you may already know that. Second, stick with a product or piece of hardware long enough to find it's idiosyncrasies. Every razor requires subtle changes to your technique. After a while you can do this by feel, but starting out, stick with one and try different angles, shaving direction etc. You will get to the point you think you have it right, but after a year or so you'll find a better way. There are lots of blades out there but the top tier brands all shave just as well, though they may feel different. Speaking of blades, I always find that the first shave or two with a new blade is the roughest. Once it gets smoothed out its good for many more.

Any specific advice would only apply to my face and my beard. You have to find what works for you. Again, have fun! Shaving doesn't have to be a chore.
Nothing wrong with using only one boar brush. I have been doing it for many years.

Top Bottom