What's new

Pom poms for Acqua di Parma!

Hi folks,
Just wanted to share something I’m excited about. I recently switch my entire grooming routine to all Acqua di Parma. I’m getting the closest shaves I can remember using their shave oil and shave cream in the yellow tub with a boar hair brush, Astra blade in a long handle Merkur. This follows a hot shower where I’ve washed my face with their face wash and then washed my goatee and face and neck stubble with their beard wash. Anyway, I’m impressed with the quality of their products and of course am all in with the accompanying classic scent. Enjoy!

I have a sample of the yellow tub cream and it's definitely one of the best performing creams that I've ever used.

Unfortunately, I don't like the scent at all, so probably won't be using it anymore (I've tried it twice). I'm probably in the minority in regard to the scent since most people seem to like it.

Just curious, what don't you like about it?
The scent! I keep trying it (it's got a lovely texture and performance) but I can't get past the scent. I think "colonia" style scents in general are just not my cup of tea. I also tried and either just tolerate or actively don't like Ethos Colonia, Piacenza, Italian Citrus (tried splash only), zingari man no. 1, Razorock XXX (tried splash only) etc.

The scent! I keep trying it (it's got a lovely texture and performance) but I can't get past the scent. I think "colonia" style scents in general are just not my cup of tea. I also tried and either just tolerate or actively don't like Ethos Colonia, Piacenza, Italian Citrus (tried splash only), zingari man no. 1, Razorock XXX (tried splash only) etc.

That's what I figured since I couldn't find any reason to fault it's performance. There's something in the background of the scent that is very off-putting to me and I can't pinpoint what it is. For those that like the scent, it's top-tier stuff.

I had my first go this morning with ADP and I have to say, I love it. Even the scent. It was honestly one of the easiest to get a rich, heavy lather with minimal effort I've used. If I could afford the whole line of product, I would definitely be picking it up.

very glad to hear!

I have used the v1 AdP and now am a proud owner of the v3.
I don’t care so much about the menthol in this new yellow jar, but everything else is perfection: presentation, packaging, scent, slickness, cushion, latherability, post shave.

one of my favorites. I also love their AS splash. My bottle is finished but I will replenish soon. Of course my AdP shaves always end with a good spray of the Colonia.

I have a sample of the yellow tub cream and it's definitely one of the best performing creams that I've ever used.

Unfortunately, I don't like the scent at all, so probably won't be using it anymore (I've tried it twice). I'm probably in the minority in regard to the scent since most people seem to like it.
Same ☝🏻 But I heard the discontinued brown tub cream has a more muted, aquatic scent. I would love to try it!

I was at Epcot and went into the fragrance store in the Italy pavilion. They had a good selection of AdP that I was checking out. A worker asked if I was looking for anything specific (as they do) and I asked if they had the shaving cream. All they had was the canned shaving gel because there’s not enough demand for cream that requires a brush.

On the way out, I spritzed myself with a sample of Colonia. My wife said it was way better than the RazoRock XXX I buy, so I’m going to have to splurge on the real stuff some day.

I have to agree with the OP. The AdP shaving cream performs extremely well for me - one of the easiest soaps to lather and with excellent quality in all respects. The colonia scent is glorious and it is my favourite fragrance of all - even though this fragrance was launched in 1916 it is still a modern and fresh scent to me.

But this is a luxury product and priced as such when you consider the number of shaves you get from a jar, so perhaps it is for special occasions or an infrequent treat, rather than everyday use. Using a synthetic brush for this is probably more economical, and the cream lathers easily with even the softest synthetic knot.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I have to agree with the OP. The AdP shaving cream performs extremely well for me - one of the easiest soaps to lather and with excellent quality in all respects. The colonia scent is glorious and it is my favourite fragrance of all - even though this fragrance was launched in 1916 it is still a modern and fresh scent to me.

But this is a luxury product and priced as such when you consider the number of shaves you get from a jar, so perhaps it is for special occasions or an infrequent treat, rather than everyday use. Using a synthetic brush for this is probably more economical, and the cream lathers easily with even the softest synthetic knot.
The scent is superb and there is no copy exactly like it, which is a frequent thread topic. I am surprised that @Marco only mentions using the fragrance and not the cream, but maybe he does and is not telling us!

The cost of the 125g tub is not that bad in the EU, about $50-55 USD IIRC, but that becomes about $80 in the US. Still, if you shop around and hit the sales, or buy multiples from overseas you can get a tub for around $65 in the US. You can lather even a large brush with 1/2g, so 250+ shaves per tub would be expected. People happily blow $65 or more all the time on 9 months of artisan soaps that are greatly inferior in quality and scent.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The scent is superb and there is no copy exactly like it, which is a frequent thread topic. I am surprised that @Marco only mentions using the fragrance and not the cream, but maybe he does and is not telling us!

The cost of the 125g tub is not that bad in the EU, about $50-55 USD IIRC, but that becomes about $80 in the US. Still, if you shop around and hit the sales, or buy multiples from overseas you can get a tub for around $65 in the US. You can lather even a large brush with 1/2g, so 250+ shaves per tub would be expected. People happily blow $65 or more all the time on 9 months of artisan soaps that are greatly inferior in quality and scent.

My friend, I used Acqua di Parma cream in the past for years. It's great, high-end and unique in scent - no question. That said, I've shifted to budget friendly soaps with outstanding performance. Sole exception in my den is Saponificio Varesino.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
My friend, I used Acqua di Parma cream in the past for years. It's great, high-end and unique in scent - no question. That said, I've shifted to budget friendly soaps with outstanding performance. Sole exception in my den is Saponificio Varesino.

Ah, that makes sense my friend, I just could not imagine you not using the cream!

Best regards,

Steve

Top Bottom